more incentive to sign Arrington & Woodson

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN.com's John Clayton reports Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre's retirement could be a financial disaster, but in a different kind of way for the team. With his $3 million roster bonus and $7 million in salary, Favre would make $10 million this year if he plays. The Packers would save $10 million of cash if he doesn't, but that's not necessarily a good thing. The Packers have a payroll of around $76 million, but that doesn't include draft choices or any other free agent signings. Not having Favre would take the payroll down to $66 million. With the new collective bargaining agreement, teams must have a minimum cash payroll of $85.5 million, meaning the Packers would have to spend $19.5 million just to make the minimum. With the players remaining as free agents, the Packers would be hard pressed to spend the money they would need to

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I Just saw that too I think it is a good thing hopefully they will sign Arrington!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and try harder to get Woodson then they have or maybe Plummer

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"My solution to our quandry is to construct a gigantic catapult, load it with large bags filled with gold, jewelry, and riches, and procede to bombard the opposition, pounding them to submission!"

Are you suggesting we throw money at the problem?

"PRECISELY!"

gado35

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i tried googleing TT so i could get his home phone number so i could call him up and tell him to sign Woodson and Arrington. No luck in finding his number though. lol

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes!!! That's great news!
Give the money to the poor!

Sign Arrington and Woodson for a reasonable price and add one member
of the 10oo lowest-income families in WI to our coaching-staff.

Maybe we spend 5 Mill $, that would be 5000 $ per year for each of them.
They could serve as waterboy-assistants or Cheerleaders or.............
:feedback:

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers showing Arrington to Favre?

posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2006
filed under: Green Bay Packers, Detroit Lions, Washington Redskins

The Packers say their visit from linebacker LaVar Arrington was coincidental. They say they were just looking at one of the top free agents available, not a bad move for a team with $19 million of cap room. But Arrington could be an exciting addition that could move the Brett Favre decision-making process. The Packers are still deciding whether or not to bid on Arrington. The Dolphins, Jaguars and Bengals have offers on the table for him. The Giants talked numbers but don't currently have an offer. With plenty of cap room, though, you get the feeling the Packers might be willing to make a move for Arrington or cornerback Charles Woodson.
The Packers are prepared the move back the April 15 trigger deadline on the $3 million September roster bonus for Favre, who hasn't asked for an extension. The team Packers, however, would grant it without a problem. Though the team would like to have an answer about Favre's future, they will give him enough time to make up his mind. They want him back, and Favre seems to want to play this year. What Favre appears to be waiting for is a sign that the team is going to be a good on the field.

In some ways, Favre's retirement could be a financial disaster, but not in the way you would think. With his $3 million roster bonus and $7 million in salary, Favre would make $10 million this year if he plays. The Packers would save $10 million of cash if he doesn't, but that's not necessarily a good thing. They currently have a payroll of around $76 million, but that doesn't include draft choices or any other free agent signings. Not having Favre would take the payroll down to $66 million. With the new collective bargaining agreement, teams must have a minimum cash payroll of $85.5 million, meaning the Packers would have to spend $19.5 million just to make the minimum. With 218 of the 351 free agents already off the market with signed contracts, what would the Packers do with the extra $10 million from Favre. There aren't enough good players to buy at that price

Guess it's time to open up the wallet Teddy !!!

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point, and I have been over this for a long time, WE NEED TO SPEND THE MONEY so you have 2 ways to do it:

Spend in a couple of impact players or spend in a bunch of bench warmers and have them compete....

Now the situation is getting very bad if Brett retires, pushed by TT´s inactivity in the FA, WE MUST SPEND 20 MILL AND MAYBE THEN WE WILL GET THE PLAYERS THAT WE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN BEFORE, BUT BRETT WILL BE LONG GONE....

I really hate Tightwad people, I do..... being tightwad afects your own prosperity !!! Money comes and goes

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Making up that much cap space could be difficult for typical NFL contracts, but it doesn't have to be.

TT could choose to give Arrington or Woodson the signing bonus money as a roster bonus. The roster bonus is considered part of the cap this season, while the signing bonus would be prorated over the life of the contract. So Arrington could actually count $10-14 million against the cap this season, but only $4-5 next year.

This would reduce the players' cap number for the remaining years of the contract while also making it easier to cut that player down the road.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts