More Covid For the Packers (warning Covid is in the thread title, it may be discussed)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
4 Packers put on the Covid reserve list today:

G Ben Braden, WR Amari Rodgers, LB Tipa Galeai, and LB Ty Summers.

Looks like special teamers and backups. Let's hope there aren't too many more.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Any idea if any automatically get the 10 days? Or are they all test out in 48 hours mode.

ETA: Covid has been discussed quite a few times already. Battle lines have been drawn and the trenches have been dug pretty deep. Nobody has anything new that the opposing views will not accept as anything other than rumors or conspiracies and no minds are going to be swayed. If and when time permits I'll be deleting general covid discussions no matter what the thread title says. @Shaggy prefers we stay away from the subject.

D

Deleted member 6794

Any idea if any automatically get the 10 days? Or are they all test out in 48 hours mode.

Vaccinated players can return to action once if they test negative twice. Those tests are allowed to be taken concurrently and after 24 hours of receiving the positive result.

I have no idea if the players put on the COVID-19 list are vaccinated though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 Packers put on the Covid reserve list today:

G Ben Braden, WR Amari Rodgers, LB Tipa Galeai, and LB Ty Summers.

Looks like special teamers and backups. Let's hope there aren't too many more.

Yeah and this is along with some others that were already there. Good news is MVS is still the top name on the list, with Kevin King being the next arguably (over Rivers).

If the list doesn't grow into more starters I'm not too terribly worried about this squad's ability to overcome this.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You're trying real hard to make this into good news aren't you?
Well Summers is on IR, so unless it kills him or he has other health complications from it, he's a "no effect" on team.

Rodgers and Tipa are probably the 2 biggest losses, but manageable.

I also don't think this is the last of it that we will see on the Packers between now and the Superbowl. Probably another reason a bye is both good and bad...players can recover from covid and injuries, but also are probably more exposed to getting it as well.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would hope so, especially for those players that are asymptomatic.
They still have to deal with the contagious part of Covid. Asymptomatic people can still spread it to others. I think that is why we are seeing more and more players testing positive. I know there is a rush to get players back as soon as possible, but if its at the cost of infecting other players, I just don't see the point.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't it said that in addition to the above list there were three or four other guys?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Folks it is as simple as going to the website for the team and scrolling down, you'll see all the Covid folks.

We have 10 presently. 2 on PS/Covid list and 8 that were from active

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wasn't it said that in addition to the above list there were three or four other guys?
Yes...I believe that there are now 10 total on the Covid reserve list. I will say, if I had to handpick 10 players for the team to be without, this list is pretty "good" for the Packers. MVS should be ready to roll on Sunday, unless he has complications.

The 4 players above, as well as:

Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Kevin King, Shemar Jean-Charles, Ladarius Hamilton, Chauncey Rivers and Rocky McIntosh.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes...I believe that there are now 10 total on the Covid reserve list. I will say, if I had to handpick 10 players for the team to be without, this list is pretty "good" for the Packers. MVS should be ready to roll on Sunday, unless he has complications.

The 4 players above, as well as:

Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Kevin King, Shemar Jean-Charles, Ladarius Hamilton, Chauncey Rivers and Rocky McIntosh.

I'm not a fan of Tipa, Chauncey and Ladarius all out...seeing as how that is basically100% of our OLB depth chart

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Tipa, Chauncey and Ladarius all out...seeing as how that is basically100% of our OLB depth chart
Beats having Gary, Preston and Garvin out ;)

Like I said, out of the 10 currently on the list, I don't see any real game changers, especially once MVS is back.

Would be nice to have ZERO players on list, but it could be much worse.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beats having Gary, Preston and Garvin out ;)

Like I said, out of the 10 currently on the list, I don't see any real game changers, especially once MVS is back.

Would be nice to have ZERO players on list, but it could be much worse.

I find it odd that Rivers is on the Covid list and not the IR list.....I mean he tore his ACL weeks ago...

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I find it odd that Rivers is on the Covid list and not the IR list.....I mean he tore his ACL weeks ago...
He was put on IR back on 10/7. I wonder if the Covid Reserve list trumps all other lists, since that prevents the players on it from doing certain things.

PackerRyche

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They still have to deal with the contagious part of Covid. Asymptomatic people can still spread it to others. I think that is why we are seeing more and more players testing positive. I know there is a rush to get players back as soon as possible, but if its at the cost of infecting other players, I just don't see the point.

The NFL changed the guidelines on testing specifically because their lead physician says asymptomatic players have NOT spread the virus to others.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The NFL changed the guidelines on testing specifically because their lead physician says asymptomatic players have NOT spread the virus to others
Which contradicts what doctors and scientists have been saying since the beginning of the pandemic. I guess the NFL knows what its doing, it isn't like they had over a 100 players on Covid reserve the last few weeks. :rolleyes:

Funny how they still require unvaccinated players to wear masks and social distance. If Player A doesn't feel sick, then using the NFL's new theory, it shouldn't matter what his vax status is, since he is asymptomatic.

PackerRyche

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, a great many messages from doctors and scientists have changed over the past 2 years. The NFL (like other pro leagues) has had the advantage of observing their own, tightly controlled experiment over the past two years. They now have a significant amount of data upon which to base updated guidelines. With regard to unvaccinated players, my guess is that there are so few of them in the NFL, there isn't enough data to change rules like masking and distancing. But just a guess.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL changed the guidelines on testing specifically because their lead physician says asymptomatic players have NOT spread the virus to others.

Well, they are not coughing and sneezing. No handshakes though imho.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, they are not coughing and sneezing. No handshakes though imho.
Which is kind of funny, because when NFL's Chief Medical Officer Allen Sills, who is a neurologist, was interviewed by Rich Eisen in September, he talked about how tricky it is to determine if vaccinated players have covid or not, since sniffles and other mild symptoms of covid are often blown off or mistaken for a cold. I guess he has changed his tune and decided that only players that aren't vaccinated and become visibly sick, can spread it.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, a great many messages from doctors and scientists have changed over the past 2 years.
Yet, people are still dying and hospitals are still struggling to keep up. Whether you want to believe these new messages and their sources or not, I guess is up to you. Personally, I think the NFL is changing policy for financial reasons.

Read Sill's statement below carefully, with the understanding that the new league policy is random testing of vaccinated players, not mandatory.

"Our data has been consistent of that throughout the season," he said. "It's all about symptom recognition and prompt testing. If you think about it, someone might have gotten tested on Monday, had no symptoms, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday they develop symptoms and they thought 'Well, I must be OK because I just tested negative one or two days ago' and they wouldn't get tested for a number of days. Now, under the new systems, they're coming forward and getting tested right away and getting tested the first time they have symptoms, which again, makes everyone around them safer."

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet, people are still dying and hospitals are still struggling to keep up. Whether you want to believe these new messages and their sources or not, I guess is up to you. Personally, I think the NFL is changing policy for financial reasons.

Read Sill's statement below carefully, with the understanding that the new league policy is random testing of vaccinated players, not mandatory.

"Our data has been consistent of that throughout the season," he said. "It's all about symptom recognition and prompt testing. If you think about it, someone might have gotten tested on Monday, had no symptoms, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday they develop symptoms and they thought 'Well, I must be OK because I just tested negative one or two days ago' and they wouldn't get tested for a number of days. Now, under the new systems, they're coming forward and getting tested right away and getting tested the first time they have symptoms, which again, makes everyone around them safer."
Assuming that they come forward. I guess if someone sees they have symptoms.......

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Assuming that they come forward. I guess if someone sees they have symptoms.......
You think all the star players that just have sniffles are going to want to risk testing positive, especially if they have incentives on the line or a new contract.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They probably don't know which IR list to put him on.

Sorry

Which contradicts what doctors and scientists have been saying since the beginning of the pandemic. I guess the NFL knows what its doing, it isn't like they had over a 100 players on Covid reserve the last few weeks. :rolleyes:

Funny how they still require unvaccinated players to wear masks and social distance. If Player A doesn't feel sick, then using the NFL's new theory, it shouldn't matter what his vax status is, since he is asymptomatic.
plus an unvaxed player who tests positive still has to quarantine for 10 days right? But a vaxed player who tests positive only has to have 2 negative tests 24 hours after the positive and he can take them at the same time. The NFL is assuming that unvaxed players can spread the disease for a longer period of time than vaxed players can. I mean they both tested positive right? the 10 days for the unvaxed player is just punishment for the player and the team for not being vaccinated.

You think all the star players that just have sniffles are going to want to risk testing positive, especially if they have incentives on the line or a new contract.
heck no they won't. The whole asymptomatic thing is dependent on honesty. If you test positive you may have had symptoms but are you going to admit it if it is going to require you to follow a more stringent set of standards that may cause you to miss a game. If there is big money on the line you can be sure many won't. And like you said if they have money on the line they sure as heck won't submit to a test if they have the sniffles. On top of that if you don't have symptoms why would you get tested? Other than as a precaution why would you be tested if you weren't showing symptoms and even as a precaution are you going to get tested every 5 days which is now how long they think you can spread the virus. If you go out in public you can be exposed at any time so a once weekly test at a minimum would be needed for you to be reasonably sure you couldn't transmit the virus.

Personally, I think the NFL is changing policy for financial reasons.

My bold and increased font size to indicate how much I agree with this statement. Save the money while still making it look like they care.

Members online

Latest posts