Mooch and Najeh Address the Brett Situation

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Former Detroit Lions coach Steve Mariucci says Brett Favre has earned the right to take his time deciding whether he wants to retire.

Mariucci was Favre's position coach when Mariucci was with Green Bay from 1992-'95.

On the NFL Network a few days ago, Mariucci was asked about Favre's intentions to play or retire.

"He hasn't missed that many practices, for that matter, in the last 14 years," Mariucci said. "He has given so much to that city. I think he deserves to be able to take his time and decipher what he and his family, Deanna and the girls, want to do. I think if he chooses to play again, he's going to carry that team on his back like he has done over the years. He loves doing that. He's such a competitor. He loves that city so much.

"Doing without (Favre) won't be easy. If he chooses not to play, it will be relatively soon because he cares about that organization and their ability to be able to make some plans without him."

Meanwhile, Packers running back Najeh Davenport told Sirius NFL Radio he is not necessarily eager to learn what Favre will decide.

"If he stays or if he goes we've still got to go out there and play," Davenport said. "We've got to prepare. It's a new coach, a new system and we've got to go out there and play games and win. If Brett comes in, he's Brett Favre. And if he doesn't, we've got to move on with A-Rod' (Aaron Rodgers). A-Rod's' out there and he's working hard and everybody's coming along real good."

Davenport said he would not be offended if Favre announced his retirement in the middle of May.

"No, not at all" Davenport said.

Davenport said the new offense coach Mike McCarthy will install favors Davenport's style of running.

"You know with Denver, the run scheme, the gap scheme?" Davenport said. "They always question whether it's the system (or) the back. It's really both, the system and the back. It's like a one-cut rule. That's my running style. I'm not a shifty guy that's going to make six or seven cuts before I get past the line of scrimmage. One cut, put my shoulder down and run through a couple of tackles. I'm that guy and this is my system. So I'm in love with it."

One ding only

After remarks he made on his weekly radio show on April 3, former Green Bay Packers tight end Mark Chmura was in demand around the country to appear on national television and radio to amplify his remarks.

Chmura referred to Favre as selfish and hypocritical because Favre has not yet announced whether he will return to play for another season. Chmura thinks Favre's delay is hurting the team.

Because of the blunt and unflattering estimation of Favre given by Chmura and because the two players used to hang out together, Chmura's remarks on his "Miller Lite Football Show" attracted national attention.

On his show Sunday on WAUK-AM (1510), a week after his comments drew so much attention, Chmura said many media outlets wanted to interview him.

He turned them all down.

"Every major network called, and every major talk show called, wanting me to go on," Chmura said. "I did zip."

So, why did Chmura turn down the offers to repeat or amplify his comments about Favre on a national stage?

"I didn't do it to grandstand," Chmura said, referring to making his initial remarks about Favre. "I'm being paid to render an opinion. That's essentially what I did."

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
I imagine the sentiment in the locker room is very similar to what Najeh described. Some fans are impatient because they just want to know already. The media just needs something to talk about. Truth be told, Favre could probably wait until the end of May or the beginning of June without hurting the team.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed Matt, obviously the team does not have any hard feelings as some suggested. Mooch was right on target, as well.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could not agree more :

"He hasn't missed that many practices, for that matter, in the last 14 years," Mariucci said. "He has given so much to that city. I think he deserves to be able to take his time and decipher what he and his family, Deanna and the girls, want to do. I think if he chooses to play again, he's going to carry that team on his back like he has done over the years. He loves doing that. He's such a competitor. He loves that city so much".

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
I imagine the sentiment in the locker room is very similar to what Najeh described. Some fans are impatient because they just want to know already. The media just needs something to talk about. Truth be told, Favre could probably wait until the end of May or the beginning of June without hurting the team.

I know I'm a Bears' fan commenting on the Favre situation but I really do think that Favre is leading the Packers organization into a dire situation that will be harder to remedy after each passing day. All this talk about Favre deserving time from the Packers in order to make his decision is a little overblown (IMO). What about the Packers deserving something from Brett?
If his decision comes after the draft (assuming the front office hasn't been privy of his position), how could that not be harmful for the team? Even though there are many differences - remember that Ricky Williams left in July of 2004.
But, as I stated in an earlier post, I do believe Favre will come back. I cannot see him as leading his team through the mud and not picking up the slack at the end.
My conspiracy theorist in me says this: Favre and TT both know that he will return but TT wants to drag this out because all of the media (and fan, for the most part) attention is being rerouted from the various problems on the team. What percentage of the articles (and posts) about GB are about Favre and how much is about the O-line situation or LB problems?

Just my 2 cents, folks.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I'm too tired of arguing about this same subject time and time again to give my opinion on the Favre situation, Steve Mariucci is an idiot.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miskito, we have thrown around this Brett "hurting the team' garbage over and over. I think most of us are in agreement that Brett is not holding this team back in any way. If you want to by into the media frenzy, thats fine, but until you can tell me how he is holding this team back you're just bashing him because you're a Bears fan.

You're conspiracy theory kind of makes no sense. Brett is not deflecting attention away from the other problems on this team. He has stated his unhappiness with the O-Line. That would be putting the focus on the problems, not deflecting it.

You act like we are the only team in the NFL with problem positions. There is no real problem at LB. If we don't sign Arrington, we draft Hawk. The O-Line could be a problem but with no good ones out there we will have to get a few via the draft

As far as the bitter Lion fan goes.......

Of course he is, he took a job with a doomed organization, a clown at the healm, and turncoat fans.

I think Mooch is an idiot for doing those things as well Big3. Glad we agree

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
piledriver, do you intentionally hunt down my posts to make sure you make a smartass comment on all of them? If you think the packer's offseason wouldn't have been different if Brett had made a decision back at the end of the season you're dillusional.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
big3 said:
Although I'm too tired of arguing about this same subject time and time again to give my opinion on the Favre situation, Steve Mariucci is an idiot.

If I was that tired I wouldn't be spending my time on an opponent's message board. Take a nap!

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Miskito, we have thrown around this Brett "hurting the team' garbage over and over. I think most of us are in agreement that Brett is not holding this team back in any way. If you want to by into the media frenzy, thats fine, but until you can tell me how he is holding this team back you're just bashing him because you're a Bears fan.

You're conspiracy theory kind of makes no sense. Brett is not deflecting attention away from the other problems on this team. He has stated his unhappiness with the O-Line. That would be putting the focus on the problems, not deflecting it.

You act like we are the only team in the NFL with problem positions. There is no real problem at LB. If we don't sign Arrington, we draft Hawk. The O-Line could be a problem but with no good ones out there we will have to get a few via the draft

As far as the bitter Lion fan goes.......

Of course he is, he took a job with a doomed organization, a clown at the healm, and turncoat fans.

I think Mooch is an idiot for doing those things as well Big3. Glad we agree

Pyledriver80:
To start off, my little conspiracy theory is a bit far-fetched, I know. I was only being half serious about it.
I'm confused why you would think that Brett isn't holding back the team in any way. Do you think that organizations stop thinking about football up until the draft? While other teams are planning and scheming how to utilize their players (especially quarterbacks) to the best of the team's abilities, Favre's indecision has only hampered the Packers' ability to plan. There are so many different connections that each player on offense has with the QB, that a simple change from that position effects just about every player. And the issue is compounded because of the fact that the Packers are under a new coaching system. That's how he's holding his team back.

BTW, I like your avatar. "I thought this was a free crack give-away!"

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good articles I read it yesterday and IMHO Moch is right... anyway does anyone think that Brett is really hurting the team???

Maybe Miskito is refering to dabears when he said that Brett is hurting the team !!! I know he hurt Dabears so bad !!!

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miskito, I was unaware they had started mini-camps. A-Rod will take his spot if Brett goes and he will be there working with the guys. Your argument that they must scheme with different QB's is accurate, the problem is they are both already on this team so who cares how long Brett takes.

They scheme for Brett, if not they go to A-Rod. It's the same as if Brett was in there. That's why he was called "Bretts Backup"

You do not do anything differently with the rest of the team. You sign the best players you can if its A-Rod or Brett.

I just don't get your point. I expect Bears fans to have that biased opinion because they are looking for a reason to put down Brett but if you are going to say something please be able to tell me "how" and "why"

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Miskito, I was unaware they had started mini-camps. A-Rod will take his spot if Brett goes and he will be there working with the guys. Your argument that they must scheme with different QB's is accurate, the problem is they are both already on this team so who cares how long Brett takes.

They scheme for Brett, if not they go to A-Rod. It's the same as if Brett was in there. That's why he was called "Bretts Backup"

You do not do anything differently with the rest of the team. You sign the best players you can if its A-Rod or Brett.

I just don't get your point. I expect Bears fans to have that biased opinion because they are looking for a reason to put down Brett but if you are going to say something please be able to tell me "how" and "why"

It's obvious you're missing my point and I am not willing to write a dissertation in order to attempt to clarify it for you. It's too bad you can't seem to overlook the fact that I am a Bears' fan, objectively giving my thoughts on the matter.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey - easy on the skito man & big 3 - they're both respected posters on here - they can't help it that they like the bears & the lions!!! :wink: :lol:

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not bashing them at all. I simply asked Miskito a question that he cannot answer.

He stated that Brett is holding this team back because we need to know who to scheme with.

I simply replied we will scheme with both, like we did last year.

He got mad and said I am missing his point even though I commented on the exact thing he stated.

It was his only out, other than saying "I am a Bears fan and I want to see it like this, please don't ruin my fun"

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The most interesting part of this article to me was Davenport's comments on the zone blocking scheme. I'm glad that he's optimistic about it. Green and Gado are similar runners, so hopefully they will like it too, and will gain a lot of yards this season.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming, that is, that Davenport doesn't get hurt. It sucks to see someone so promising constantly being injured. Hopefully he can stay healthy and be productive.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You better watch your closets, we all know what Najeh does when he gets excited.

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
I am not bashing them at all. I simply asked Miskito a question that he cannot answer.

He stated that Brett is holding this team back because we need to know who to scheme with.

He got mad and said I am missing his point even though I commented on the exact thing he stated.

It was his only out, other than saying "I am a Bears fan and I want to see it like this, please don't ruin my fun"

"I just don't get your point."
Funny, but I take this sentence to mean you just don't get my point.
Maybe I read it out of context.

A good team should configure to the strengths of the QB. Acquiring those players that best complement his abilities would seem to be the proper way to go about strengthening a team. If you don't know who your QB is going to be would hinder the selecting/releasing process. That's my point.

Maybe it would help you to take off the Bear hating glasses for a moment and reread the posts.

By the way, that wasn't my only out. I could've said:
1) ...yeah, well Packers suck. or
2) I'm sorry pyledriver80. I don't why I should've even doubted your wisdom. or
3) What are you having for dinner today? or
4) Please stop, pyledriver80. I'll become a Packer fan, I promise. or
5) Maybe you should realize that there are 31 other teams in the NFL with millions of other fans that perhaps, just perhaps, may have an opinion about the same issue you're pondering and have differnet views about it which has nothing to do with their loyalties.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miskito said:
pyledriver80 said:

A good team should configure to the strengths of the QB. Acquiring those players that best complement his abilities would seem to be the proper way to go about strengthening a team. If you don't know who your QB is going to be would hinder the selecting/releasing process. That's my point.

Maybe it would help you to take off the Bear hating glasses for a moment and reread the posts.

5) Maybe you should realize that there are 31 other teams in the NFL with millions of other fans that perhaps, just perhaps, may have an opinion about the same issue you're pondering and have differnet views about it which has nothing to do with their loyalties.

Actually most teams in the NFL tend to set-up a scheme and then acquire players that fit that scheme. In this case, GB is trying to acquire players that will take pressure off the QB. If that QB is Favre, then this is necessary because too much pressure on him last season led to 29 INTs. If that QB is Rodgers, then it is also necessary since he's a rookie.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you Bobby, Miskito is taking this the wrong way. I am not disputing your point because your a Bears fan, I am disputing it because you are incorrect an SINCE you are a bears fan do not look at it objectively.

You want to throw out the same ol' "Favre is hurting this team' crap that Steven A Smith spews but yet have not shown me how, period!

Your argument was just disspelled by myself and Bobby so go back and dream up another scenario that fits your Biased view

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
Miskito said:
pyledriver80 said:

Actually most teams in the NFL tend to set-up a scheme and then acquire players that fit that scheme. In this case, GB is trying to acquire players that will take pressure off the QB. If that QB is Favre, then this is necessary because too much pressure on him last season led to 29 INTs. If that QB is Rodgers, then it is also necessary since he's a rookie.

Thatnks, Bobby, for clarifying what pyle claims he wanted to say. Unfortunately for me, that does make some sense.

Too much hatred for your Northern Brothers, pyle. Calm down a bit, son.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does it "Not make sense"

I mean are we supposed to say "A-Rod is the starter lets cut everyone and start over?

Either way you are going to build your team at every position the best way possible.

I guess you think Football is Synchronized Swimming or something but you build around the system. The parts are interchangeable. Some may be better than others but you don't scrap your car when your tire goes flat do you?

It's really not that hard to understand UNLESS you are looking at it from a Bears Fans point of view, in which case you will automatically just try to turn it into a "Favre is hurting the team" thing just because you hate us.

No hard feelings man, but, you can't just toss stuff out with no real rationalization behind it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts