Mock Draft

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it's still 3 months away, but it's never too early to start speculating on the draft. I found the following one and while it sounds like the guy knows what he's talking about, I don't agree with his projected 1st rounder for the Packers (QB from Akron). We need defense much more than a replacement for Favre right now.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

I recently discussed the Packers primary needs with a fan from another team, and he suggested Davis, the Safety from Georgia or Spears, the D-lineman from LSU would be the most logical choices. As far as a QB is concerned, I would go defense early and hope we could pick up Orten from Purdue with our second 2nd round pick. Should be interesting watching the new guy (Thompson) run the show in the Packers war room this year.

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
Draft

Youre right about the QB situation. We will have three of the top fifty picks. that's our first and second rounder and NO's second rounder that we got in the McKenzie deal. I think the Pack could find a QB in the second. either Orten, Frye, Walters or possibly UCONN's Orslavsky. The first round and one of the second rounders should be committed to defense. I think a pass rusher opposite KGB is the most pressing need. As hard as Kampman plays, he shouldn't be starting. I also think a steady pass rush would improve the secondary much more than a rookie DB. Remeber that as poorly as Carroll played he's still young and athletic. So I say D-line in the first round and best available defensive player in the second. As far as Davis and Spears go, I'm not sure Davis will be there, but if he falls, it would be a possibility. My concern about him is that he's another Roy Williams guy who will hit you in the mouth but couldn't cover my grandma. but maybe all the defense needs is a guy who can tackle. As for Spears, he's another one of those high talent low motor guys. His upside is that he can play both tackle and end, which would be good for Jim Bates b/c I believe he rotates quite a bit. D-line is deep this year so someone will be left, who will it be and is that what Thompson wants is my question.

ldlehrer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like both Spears and Davis. Thomas Davis of GA plays with a hard hitting attitude. He sure seems to tackle well. I do not know if he covers that well. He definitely plays hard.
I like Marcus Spears of LSU too. It would be great if both players were available to the Packers, so they can start rebuilding their defense.
I assume a top Defensive Coordinator like Bates will find a use for a hard working and motor never stops guy like Aaron Kampman.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Safety from Michigan - but hard to say if he'll be around by the 24th pick - good replacement for Sharper.

As for QB? I'd wait. Brett comes back, then Craig Nall can back him up.
What we need to look for... is another Nose Tackle to take Grady's place. He won't last much longer.

BrettFavre4MVP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think James will fall that far. He's projected top 10. I really would like us to get him though, especially because he's from UW. I would like to see us get Thomas Davis from Georgia. He's a HUGE safety. 230 pounds!

V

Vikeman

well you guys can stop drafting cornerbacks now since moss will possibly be gone.

OP
OP
NCPackerfan

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well you guys can stop drafting cornerbacks now since moss will possibly be gone.

Moss may not be around next year, but we'll still have to deal with Williams and Rogers from Detroit for awhile. I wish Moss would stay with the queens though. Somebody on the Packers NEW defense needs to make him pay for his dissing the team and the fans in the playoff game. :twisted:

V

Vikeman

he didn't diss your team...he dissed your fans by doing something to them that they have been doing to opposing teams for years. moss owns the packers and that will never change.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he dissed your fans by doing something to them that they have been doing to opposing teams for years
Never proven, I have been going to games for 15 years and have never heard of or seen this tradition.

moss owns the packers and that will never change.
Yes, hey plays well against them usually, but lets count how many super bowl rings he owns...

V

Vikeman

okay once again my point is proven...arguing the facts with a packer fan always goes nowhere and somewhere in the conversation they need to revert back to a lombardi trophy. what do superbowl rings have to do with moss completely lighting up the packers secondary for the past 7 years? this is the very reason why almost every year the packers use a first round pick on their secondary. okay let me try your angle ryan...J Walker does good against the vikings but how many superbowl rings does he own?

3 different nfl coaches came forward and said they saw what packer fans do after winning games at lambeau. all of which do not coach in the nfc north. also if it is not the truth then why didn't anyone in the packer organization come forward and say it was a farce? this was the first time ever that moss had ever done a td dance and he could not have picked a better time or place to do it. most people i know (some packer fans) thought it was funny. try to remember that the vikings were not the football team that invited a half rate player from a half rate team who crushed the playoff hopes of players and fans across the country to a playoff game and give that guy a key to the city. also handing out cheese to arizona residents. what a big middle finger that was to the minnesota vikings and their fans. it was hard to swallow and hard to forget.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker has no rings, however I am not holding him up on a pedestal and saying he is great. I said moss plays well against them, I did not discredit that. Looking back I made an apples to oranges comparison there. My bad.

I should have only discredited the "tradition" that was reported as I have yet to find a single person, either in person or via this forum, that has ever heard of, seen or been involved in it. Like I said I have been going to games for 15 years, my dad twice as long as that and he was born and raised in GB. Not saying that it doesn't happen (and if it does, funny props to Moss for being a good sport) but I have yet to see proof from anyone that I would consider reliable. As far as the coaches that have reported it, you can simply counter that with the article from the Brown County Sheriff that has been charge of the away team securty for x amount of years that said nothing like that has ever happened. I still don't see and real proof.

tarkenton10

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And when was the last time you stayed until the visiting team's bus left. Maybe you need to stick around a little longer and you may have your evidence!

V

Vikeman

hey ryan maybe your right and it never has happened. after all i've never been to lambeau field. i just thought that it was credible since people in positions of respect have stepped forward to say the contrary. i am in no way defending every thing moss does. sometimes i do wonder whether my boys would be better off without him.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
hey ryan maybe your right and it never has happened. after all i've never been to lambeau field. i just thought that it was credible since people in positions of respect have stepped forward to say the contrary. i am in no way defending every thing moss does. sometimes i do wonder whether my boys would be better off without him.

Maybe the packers didn't say it was a farce because its impossible to acknowledge what over 70,000 fans can or will do? Not to mention the thousands an thousands of fans in the surrounding area. Just MAYBE they didn't wanna draw MORE attention to it? **shakes head**

I can't say yes or no to the whole 'mooning' thing. But it'd be hard for anyone in GB where I live to not know about it who follows the Packers. I've been to quite a few games (only one in entirety, my dad used to take me to almost every game in the 4th qtr cuz it was free) where dad an i stayed til the stadium was empty an games where we tried to get out first, never once have I seen or heard of anyone mooning opposing teams. I would not be surprised if it was being done and I bet there are lots of teams who have fans that do the same thing.

They are grown men, I think they can handle it. Its not like its being done on national television during a playoff game where children an women are viewing, even though it was a fake moon.

What Moss did, overrated just like he is.

V

Vikeman

hey slick i think overrated is a bad choice of a word. i despise the packers but favre is one of the best qb's i have ever seen. noone can deny that. Moss in 7 years has amassed 9200 receiving yards and over 90 tds. no receiver has ever done that before. he is not overrated bud.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
hey slick i think overrated is a bad choice of a word. i despise the packers but favre is one of the best qb's i have ever seen. noone can deny that. Moss in 7 years has amassed 9200 receiving yards and over 90 tds. no receiver has ever done that before. he is not overrated bud.

Yes he is BUD. If he gave atleast 100% effort and didn't quit on his teamates and embarrass them. I'd say he is the best receiver in the league. Talent wise, he CAN be the best WR. Too many people give him too much credit, same goes for Vick. Watch WHOLE games of these players, not just their highlights.

If Moss were to shut his fat mouth, give it his all every game throughtout every game, I'd be the first to say he is the best WR in the league, hands down. Right now, I have to say T.O. is the best even though he's a **** at times.

V

Vikeman

i don't think you watch as many vikings games as i do slick. moss dogs plays just as much as anyone else does. everyone that plays does it. he played almost this entire season on one leg. he played 2 playoff games with a sprained ankle. i played football at college level and most certainly know how painful that is. most guys would sit...as i did...but moss chose not do. as far as him closing his big fat mouth when has it ever been opened? moss does not talk to the media or say anything after games to reporters. if he does it's few and far between. so i ask you what are you wanting him to shut up about?

it's funny you chose TO as the best receiver in the league. moss misses 5 games this year and yet still only falls 1 td short of TO. doesn't say to much about your statement does it? it's easy to hate moss...he's arrogant but he is the best. he's a once every 100 years type of a reciever and when it is all said and done he will be the best ever.

oh and by the way...moss doesn't use painkillers to get him through playing with injuries. :D

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll just say this,I would NOT want moss on the Packer. He does talk to the press,did you hear what he said about what he might do next time against the Packers? That is when he said $10,000 is nothin' to what he makes a year. I will say he could be the best wide reciever in the NFL,IF he would grow up. But he has been that way since college so why would he change? I think the Vikings would be a better team without him,that is why I hope they keep him.JMO

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think moss is a distraction, but i dont think they would be better off w/o him. maybe in the sense that it would free up some money for a helpless defense. but i dont think burleson can carry moss's load. personally, i hope they dump him.

Members online

Latest posts