MM's explanation

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
""It's convenient now to say I should have ran it," said McCarthy, who calls the offensive plays. "But we say over and over again … we have the ability to catch people in transition through personnel substitution, and that was our play design there."

C'mon Mike.....I won't even get into the excuse. The part about "It's convenient now to say I should have ran it...." is BS. It smacks of arrogance in the neighborhood of "how dare you question a first year NFL headcoach".

I will cut him some slack though because it's the first time that I can remember him sounding arrogant. He had to know as soon as the ball was tipped he was going to catch **** for that call. He was probably still frustrated.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like the young players we have playing, hopefully he will learn from this mistake and call the right play the next time the situation occurs.

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what should have have said in your eyes?

"I screwed up.....I should have pounded the ball in there. We were running all over these guys. I'll learn from this"

...but.....I'm not sure he should have said it in my eyes!

Seriously, I don't wanna kill him. I don't even wanna rip him for the explanation. Just don't act like you are above being second guessed. That's the only thing I didn't like. He sounded a little too Bill Parcellsish for a rookie head coach.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard those comments from his post game conference, and to me he didnt come off as sounding arrogant...

it was the wrong call cuz it didnt work!!!

but it was the right call earlier when DD got the TD..

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good point. MM saw a mismatch and tried to use it. I probably would have run it, but what MM did was not necessarily bad coaching.

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

Good point. MM saw a mismatch and tried to use it. I probably would have run it, but what MM did was not necessarily bad coaching.

I'm sorry guys but it was the wrong call both times he did it. If you are happy with scoring once outta two times at the one then maybe it's the right call.

How is throwing a slant pattern against one of the top corners in the NFL a "mismatch"?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
mismatch in the general term I think is what he meant..The d was in transition

( not getting the right people in for the situation~~ is what I understand MM trying to say)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
lot of people say or have said that MM is to predictable in his calling..

well if he would have called a running play, wouldnt that have been predictable?? After all Marv Levy was quoted as saying they expected the run

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's become an unwritten rule among NFL coaches that they never admit mistakes. Just like politicians.

The call sucked, plain and simple. I have no problem, per se, with a pass from the one yard line. Teams do it all the time. But a slant into the heart of the defense, with no other receivers as options, is a different story. They put all their eggs in one basket when they didn't need to.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take it from a Buffalo columnist who may have pegged it right when he implies the Pack might have been "outthinking themselves." I thought it would be interesting to see what Buffalo writers might say, they watched the game as close as all of us yet they are probably a little more objective in terms of what the Packers were doing (since they are focused on the Bills).

...Green Bay outgained the Bills, 427-184. The Packers rushed for 147 yards and averaged nearly 5 yards a pop. They were blowing the Bills off the ball and marching toward a game-tying TD in the final minutes. But for some inexplicable reason, Favre threw on first-and-goal from the 1-yard and had it intercepted.

It just goes to show you that in today's NFL, no offensive coordinator is immune from the disease of out-thinking himself. I'm sure Mike Mularkey and Kevin Gilbride would be very proud of that confounding call at the goal line. But I digress...(snip)
-Jerry Sullivan

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a bad call by MM I think he should admit he was wrong, but Do i expect him to? No but i think he owes it

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a point where a headcoach should take responsibility for a bad play. Has he done that at all this year? I don't remember if he has. I still like McCarthy, but he's making stupid coaching mistakes over and over and over.

I look at the New Orleans/Detroit/Arizona/Buffalo games and I just don't know if he's learning from his mistakes.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
There's a point where a headcoach should take responsibility for a bad play. Has he done that at all this year? I don't remember if he has.

he did last week...

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so you expect favre, or green to say those words when they int or fumble

To their teammates, yes.

The fact that admitting a mistake is such a cardinal sin with some of you speaks volumes in itself. It's easy to see where such rabid defense of both MM and TT stems from. :roll:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
actually... favre takes ownership when he makes mistakes. if MM thinks he's right, why would he apologize?!?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok like I said before, every coach is ignorant and every coach hates to admit when they made a mistake. MM is not totally wrong. It is easy for us to hate the call because of what happen but if it's a TD then we all love it. It works both ways though.

With this said the normal call on 1st and goal from the 1 is to hand it off to the RB. 2nd and goal is usually your play action down and 3rd and goal is pretty much either or. So using that logic, I would say it was a bad call.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
what should have have said in your eyes?

"I f***ed up" would have been a great start.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley
Well todays p/c he said he wont run that play again...

Is that him admitting he was wrong? Or does he need to say I screwed up?

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
tromadz said:
im glad you mor.....you people arent part of the team at all.

Actually I'm an owner. How about you?

how many decisions have you made? thank you.

A ton.....every year I vote on team issues. Once again.......how'bout you?

And AADP forget about the ignore button. trom promised to use it on me but he just can't seem to stay away. Sort of like a train wreck.....you know you shouldn't look at the ugliness of my posts but you just can't help yourself :thumbsup:

Members online

Latest posts