MM's Decision to Accept the Penalty

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Maybe it was just because these hurt more, but I actually thought most of their 3rd downs were fairly long (>5 yards) that they converted. No stats or anything to back that up, just felt like it.
No, you're right. Bush came in as our dime back.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it was just because these hurt more, but I actually thought most of their 3rd downs were fairly long (>5 yards) that they converted. No stats or anything to back that up, just felt like it.

Could be. I don't have the stats either, but I think the Niners faced a fair number of third-and-shorts, especially in the second half. In the first half, the defense did a very good job preventing SF from converting on third and long (10+ yards). This wasn't the embarrassment that was last year's playoff game...

I was merely pointing out another posters contention that somehow the defense by holding the 49ers to 9 for 18 in 3rd down conversions was not really a point to celebrate.

Sure. But as stated in my initial reply, I don't think holding an offense like San Francisco's to a 50% conversion rate on third downs is a condemnation of the defense, either.

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And like you said...you can't know that either. A FG is the most likely of senario at 4th and 2 early on.
It was a very short 4th and 2. With all the options they have and knowing that we would be stacking up and biting ******* any run fake it would be a perfect time to go for it. Like you said, early in the game. Playing at home. Even if you don't convert, the Packers are backed up against the goal line. Best front 7 in football. Yeah, a LOT of coaches are going to go for it in that situation.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like it at all.

First of all, it didn't look like 4th and inches to me, it looked like nearly a full yard. One overlooked part of that decision is that by taking the penalty, you are conceding points. Either 7 if they make it, or 3 since you're assuming they'll just take the FG if they don't get this 3rd down. If you decline the penalty, you have a chance to give up 0 points if you make a stop on the next down.

You've already stopped them on 3rd, and you're going to force your defense to do it twice. How do you know they won't just go for it on 4th anyway even if you stop them if you don't think they'll take the FG this time? Then that just gives them an extra play. You're also telling them that you have zero confidence in them being able to make a stop on 4th and short against the 49ers line. I generally agree with MM's decisions, but I don't like this one at all.

A holding call that made it 3rd and 11, I would be a lot more sympathetic.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
It's been reprted that Harbaugh has stated he would have gone for it had we not accepted the penalty, and had the 3rd down not been reset. All is moot.

Would we have stopped the 49ers on 4th and 1 is the real question. We didn't stop them on 4th and 2. All is moot.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be curious to know what the % was in the first half though. I swear at one point they converted about 5 in a row after being stopped on their first drive.
They were 6 of 10 in the first half.

Lakedog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you kidding me?!!!

"The trend is your friend." ...use it!

Niners rolled down the field on that drive. Our dbacks had no answer... Heck, the whole game. MM gave the Niners 2 chances from the 11 instead of one from the 6. If the Whiner coach wants to go for it early, let him.

This isn't complicated: if the D is playing strong at the time, you take the yards. If the D is getting beat up, you take the down.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty sure the drive in question was the result of Lacy's fumble. As for McCarthy's call, I thought it was horrible. I couldn't believe McCarthy was even considering it. You gotta have faith in your defense to hold on a 4th down.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty sure the drive in question was the result of Lacy's fumble. As for McCarthy's call, I thought it was horrible. I couldn't believe McCarthy was even considering it. You gotta have faith in your defense to hold on a 4th down.

The Clay hit was after the Lacey fumble..

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
And the Clay hit came right after the penalty, correct? So the Niners didn't "roll down the field." I was feeling pretty good about the defense in short yardage situations at that point.

Lakedog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the Clay hit came right after the penalty, correct? So the Niners didn't "roll down the field." I was feeling pretty good about the defense in short yardage situations at that point.
If you don't know how well the Niners offense looked on that drive, you miss the entire reason why ******* should have taken the down.

Putting our secondary to the test on a 3rd n 6 makes no sense vs a possible test of our front 7 on a 4th n 1. ...inches or not.

I felt relieved to finally have a 4th down on that drive, but MM gave it back. He has a history of making horrible game time decisions, especially clock mgt. This was not a one time event.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
If you don't know how well the Niners offense looked on that drive, you miss the entire reason why ******* should have taken the down.
That "drive" started at the GB 14 after the fumble. At the time of the illegal formation penalty, they had run 3 plays and gained 9 yards. The penalty happened on 3rd and 1 when Gore was stuffed at the line. I wouldn't say it was all that impressive.

Putting our secondary to the test on a 3rd n 6 makes no sense vs a possible test of our front 7 on a 4th n 1. ...inches or not.

I felt relieved to finally have a 4th down on that drive, but MM gave it back.
I misunderstood your original post, thinking you meant you agreed with McCarthy's decision to accept the penalty. I agree with you 100%. McCarthy should not have given the down back.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
It's been reprted that Harbaugh has stated he would have gone for it had we not accepted the penalty, and had the 3rd down not been reset. All is moot.

Would we have stopped the 49ers on 4th and 1 is the real question. We didn't stop them on 4th and 2. All is moot.

I heard the same response and there was NO hesitation. He was going for a TD either way and why wouldn't he? SF needs a yard, they run it. Pack needs a yard, they line up in a spread and throw. Two different mindsets...but my gut was that Harbaugh would have gone for it and they'd have got the 6 ... hell, they ended up getting 6 from the 6 in a very embarrassing moment for our D-line

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard the same response and there was NO hesitation. He was going for a TD either way and why wouldn't he? SF needs a yard, they run it. Pack needs a yard, they line up in a spread and throw. Two different mindsets...but my gut was that Harbaugh would have gone for it and they'd have got the 6 ... hell, they ended up getting 6 from the 6 in a very embarrassing moment for our D-line
Absolutely Weeds. Can't improve on your post.

Members online

Latest posts