MM's 2nd year

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fellow Packer fans,
I'm wondering how everyone feels about MM as a coach. I think he did alright in his rookie year. At times, he looked completely lost, and also, I think in a lot of games, he failed to make halftime adjustments and went out making the same mistakes in the 2nd half.

But he did improve greatly at the end of the season and made some defensive adjustments that helped us win our last four games.

During the off-season, I was greatly disappointed he didn't fire Schott, who has no business coaching on an NFL level.

So, he made it through his rookie year with an 8-8 record. Do you think he's good enough to be our coach long-term? How far do you think he could take us? And what are your expectations of him as a coach? What record should we expect before we start looking at alternatives?

Reaction score
The one thing I love about MM is that he says what he does (er, ok the 'we're going to run it a lot' bit excluded).

I remember him saying last year 'we'll put these guys in positions to make plays, but at the end of the day the players will have to go out and make the plays'.

I think he did a good job of putting the players in positions to make plays. He gets his message across, and the players seemed to generally improve under him and his staff.

I am optimistic about him being better in his second year. As for the halftime adjustment problem, I hope he gets bet at it. But to be honest, it doesn't seem like any NFC North coach displayed the ability to make halftime adjustments last season. I'm not too optimistic he can become better in this area, but with strong planning he can definitely make up for the weakness.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's too early to decide if he's the long term answer or not, but i like the guy.
I THINK he will do alright.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts;

On the plus side, I've generally been impressed by MM's straightforward attitude, one which I think comes across well to his players. He's had some team issues he's had to deal with (Favre, Harris, Woodson) that I think he's handled well, and he kept the team together during their struggles last year. I also think he's done well considering the talent he's been given to work with, and their improvement towards the end of last year showed his ability to make the necessary adjustments, whatever they may be.

On the negative side, I think he made some mistakes in the choosing of assistant coaches/coordinators that hurt the team last year and will probably continue to do so this year as he's decided to stay with them. It appeared for most of last season that his team displayed a continued inability to execute in certain areas (OL, DB, ST) and their final record was undoubtedly helped by the fact that they play in the worst division in the worst conference in the NFL. I also find it interesting that almost everyone I talk to in the Green Bay area doesn't think much of MM, and according to them, compared to previous coaches he does very little in or for the community, which is contrary to the public image of a "down home, family guy" we generally see.

Bottom line to me, I guess I look at MM like this. If all you give a guy is a Volkswagon Beetle, I guess I don't fault him too much if he fails to win any NASCAR races. But if you give him a decent car with a flat tire and he's losing races because he can't fix the tire, well then I think he may be a part of the problem.

As I've said many times before, I think we'll have a much better idea of the state of this team after we see how they perform this season.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy grew up a lot in his first season as head coach. I look for that to continue and expect him to be around for quite a while. He seems to have a better rapport with his players than Sherman did. How many players came out after MS was fired and said he was "unapproachable" or things of that nature?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy struggled and made some bonehead moves early in the season. He got better. The team got better. The playcalling was excellent IMO during the last 5 games.

There was a LOT of growing pains last year. 2(sometimes 3) rookies on the o-line, first year DC, rookie WR, etc, etc...

I look forward to the more experienced team, even if it is one year. One year makes a ton of difference in the NFL.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the team held together well thru some tough times and the players believe in what MM is doing. I think that is obviously very important.

The year started out lousy with a lot of frustrating blown plays leading to early losses.

Then we kind of got it together but Tausher goes down in the heart of the season right before our toughest games and we looked in disarray.

Right there is when this team could have folded it's tent. Three rookies on the "0" line and the defense looking lost again.

Give credit to MM and Co. for staying with what the believed in and not making any whole scale changes and ditching what they were doing. They got thru it and started playing way better and now come in feeling they can play and stay with teams vs. coming out after a disasterous finish and not sure of what to expect.

He's had a BUNCH of young guys to deal with and I think being a new coach he dealt with that probably better than how older coaches would have.

I think he works with and brings young players along well. He asks a lot and doesn't tolerate mistakes but all of the young guys seemed to come along and get better and that's a process. Something the coach definately has a part of.

I think he has a sense of when the young guys have reached a point of having all they can handle on their plates and doesn't push for more and allows them to digest and progress.

I'll take it considering how last year could have turned out and how they appear to be feeling about where they are at this point.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
remember...i think it was week 1, whenre it was 3rd and goal at the 1 and he called a pass play? I know we have Favre but man...

He didnt do that type of stuff later on in the season, and thats what matters now that the 2006 season is over and the 2007 is to begin in acouple months.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He seems to do well with the players, and thats important if your the head coach.
I do remember people saying Sherman was not approachable after he left. It doesn't seem to be that way with MM.
Of course i also heard bad things about Holmgren after he left. There was a player I heard on the radio last year that said that he and the coaches kept telling Holmgren in SB 32 that they could run it down the Bronco's throats, and Holgren wouldn't listen.(In the 2nd half) The guy swore that the Packers could have won SB 32 if Holmgren would have been willing to listen.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
It was MM first swing at the fence as a HC... and he seemed to learn along the way... plus he interviews better than Ted ;)

Overall more positives from him than negatives in my book. And like Lare states above he can only cook with the ingredients he is given... we shall know more about him a couple games into this year.

BigPlay31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am more confident in George W. Bush as the leader of the free world than i am of Mike McCarty as the head coach of the pack. He seems way to laid back and not demanding enough of his players. He probably is extremely lucky that he is a head coach in the NFL at such a young age. So, he probably is going to play it very safe. Don't expect McCarthy to call out any players publicly or privately, like maybe a Manuel. He makes me think that this team has no future and that the worst feeling that you could have as a NFL fan.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, it seems as though MM is willing and able to learn. Very important. Being inflexible is the way to an early grave. As previously stated, my only reservation on him is his seeming inflexibility in assessing his coaching staff. That said, I DO believe that if "miscommunication" rears it's ugly head again this year, he won't hesitate to make some moves to correct it. Sanders, Washington, and Schottenheimer better be on their collective toes this season. MM will definitely stick his nose into their business w/o much hesitation. With him, you get only one second chance. This is JMHO, of course. But I'm hoping like hell I guess right. The Packers should be on the comeback trail now. This is the team's BIG season...one that will indicate into which direction we're traveling. But Lord, let's get it going!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am more confident in George W. Bush as the leader of the free world than i am of Mike McCarty as the head coach of the pack. He seems way to laid back and not demanding enough of his players. He probably is extremely lucky that he is a head coach in the NFL at such a young age. So, he probably is going to play it very safe. Don't expect McCarthy to call out any players publicly or privately, like maybe a Manuel. He makes me think that this team has no future and that the worst feeling that you could have as a NFL fan.
Well, the MM WE see is only the public one. None of us knows how he talks to his players behind closed doors. He might get on them pretty good.
Plus, last year was his first, and I think he was kind of feeling it all out.
I think Retired is right, i think he will be more into all aspects of his coaching staff this season. And i think he won't pull punches now that he's a little more comfortable in his position.
He's learning on the fly, and i think he's a pretty smart cookie.

Members online