1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

MM - Wins COY from NFL Alumni Association

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Pack93z, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Apparently NFL alums care alittle that Billy Boy cheated... speaks loud IMO.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/01/03/mccarthy-wins-one-honor.aspx

McCarthy wins one honor
    By Greg A. Bedard
    Thursday, Jan 3 2008, 04:33 PM
    Green Bay - Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy, who lost the AP coach of the year award to New England's Bill Belichick, was chosen the league's coach of the year by the NFL Alumni Association.

Here's the press release:

Tom Brady and Randy Moss, the NFL's new single- season record holders for touchdown passes and catches, respectively, were among 10 current stars voted by former players as NFL Alumni 2007 Player of the Year honorees. The complete selections are:

OFFENSE

Quarterback: Tom Brady (New England Patriots)

Running Back: Brian Westbrook (Philadelphia Eagles)

Wide Receiver: Randy Moss (New England Patriots)

Tight End: Jason Witten (Dallas Cowboys)

Offensive Lineman: Jeff Saturday (Indianapolis Colts)

DEFENSE

Defensive Lineman: Mario Williams (Houston Texans)

Pass Rusher: Jared Allen (Kansas City Chiefs)

Linebacker: Patrick Willis (San Francisco 49ers)

Defensive Back: Antonio Cromartie (San Diego Chargers)

SPECIAL TEAMS

Special Teams Player: Devin Hester (Chicago Bears)

Coach: Mike McCarthy (Green Bay Packers)

These players were honored by a unique voting process in which former players cast ballots for their modern counterparts. Former pros vote only for the positions they once played themselves.

The 2007 awardees will be honored at the 26th annual Player of the Year Awards Dinner, to be held Friday evening, Feb. 1, 2008, at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Gainey Ranch in Scottsdale, Ariz. The fundraising dinner will be held on the eve of Super Bowl XLII. During the awards ceremony, each awardee will receive his NFL Alumni Player of the Year award from a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame who once played the same position. The Don Shula Coach of the Year Award will be presented by the legendary Coach Don Shula.

The NFL Alumni Inc. is a 501 (c) (3) charity composed of former NFL players and associate members who work voluntarily to raise funds for youth-oriented causes. The NFL Alumni advances its motto of Caring for Kids from its national headquarters in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and an additional 30 chapters across the country.

2. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats MM! Good thing someone appreciates his work besides us fans.

A lot of you might disagree with their RB pick, but I think Westbrook is single-handedly the most underrated player in the NFL. That team would fold without him.

3. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I completely agree about Westbrook, McNabb gets a lot of credit for what Westbrook does IMO.

And congrats to McCarthy, it was definitely deserved.

4. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That's why McNabb looks good. He throws a 2 yard pass to Westbrook who regularly turns it into a 15 yard gain. Agreed that the wrong person is getting the credit. But apparently, NFL alums get it.

5. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    good. McCarthy is a good coach and a good man with a hot daughter.

6. PackCrazed4

PackCrazed4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +187
    Glad Mike got the acknowledgment he deserves, the coach of the year award, I think, its outrageous

And I agree 100% on Westbrook, the things he has done this year has kept Philly from hitting rock bottom, congrats to him as well :D

7. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Ted definitely made a wise choice with McCarthy. The sky is the limit.