MM speaks on (lack of) free agent moves

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM speaks on free agency, offensive line,running game, and how he thinks Tromadz is a **** beast. Ok, that last part was a lie. CLICK FOR MORE

"We still have a draft, free agency isn't over, we're just trying to stack as many good players as possible."
-------------------

sound familiar? It should. I've been saying that for 3 weeks.

There arent good guards in free agency. I've said that!

the only new thing I heard was about possibly drafting Ferguson, and moving tauscher to guard. That is interesting.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think moving Tauscher to guard is an option even if they don't draft Ferguson. If either Barry or Klemm show they can handle Right Tackle, it would be a good move.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too was surprised by the tausher suggestion...but imagine a line with coston and whitacker starting....we're up crap creek w/out a paddle if that happens in Sept.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im pretty confident that TT would have gotten a good guard if one was available (minus the 1 good guard, who got a record setting offersheet)

its a bad year for guards. go figure. :(

Clifton/ /Wells/tauscher/Ferguson

I gotta admit, thats not a bad 4. We need an LG though.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
I too was surprised by the tausher suggestion...but imagine a line with coston and whitacker starting....we're up crap creek w/out a paddle if that happens in Sept.

I don't think Whitticker fits in with what the guards will be required to do at all. He will be lucky to make the team. Coston, however is another matter. I think he has a very good chance of cracking the starting lineup.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This piece can be looked at in a couple of ways but this paragraph is a fact :

"Inside the NFC North, only the Chicago Bears have come close to doing as little as the Packers. They're only signing of note was Tampa Bay quarterback Brian Griese, who is expected to be Rex Grossman's backup".

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Clifton/ /Wells/tauscher/Ferguson

I gotta admit, thats not a bad 4. We need an LG though.

Worst comes to worst in that situation we move Wells to LG and use Chris White as center... and that's the worst case (assuming we draft Freguson, which I don't think will happen).

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before this Free Agency period I thought that by signing Kampmann and Henderson enough moves would be made to keep it from being a failure.

Nall is gone but as I said after the Rodgers draft it would happen.

The Longwell era is over. Unfortunately, by not tagging him for a year the new guy to emerge from the competition once more are signed. It could take until next year.

The bad moves were signing Manuel and Barry. I would not be suprised to see Barry cut prior to the season.
Fisher, Lenon, and Davenport really don't matter.

Looking at compensatory picks and contracts: Flanagan=Pickett, Manuel=Longwell, Minor contracts don't matter but if they did Chatman=Boerigter, Taylor=Fisher, Lenon=White.
Compensatory pick(s) will be for the loss of Nall and possibly Jackson.

Overall grade with the net loss of talent would be a C.
The Packers improved at DE and FB. They are worse at QB, WR, KR, K.

This draft has plenty of OG's, LB's and TE's. These areas will be addressed in the draft.
This draft has limited CB's, WR's and OT's. These areas are unlikely to be addressed in the draft.

I foresee the draft bringing 2 rookies likely to start at OG and LB(if Hawk). The TE rookie will get some playing time.

A factor usually overlooked is the improvement of current players. Whitticker, Collins, Hawkins, Rodgers and the young D-line will show improvement that many do not expect.

Overall the Packers will have less talent than they did last year being coached by a largely rookie staff.

If Brett is not back and Rodgers gets injured nothing will overcome it.

With Brett 9-7. Without...they will have good draft picks next year.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know much about Coston--I know he was touted as a great small-school player, and was a possible 'diamond in the rough' last draft**mind you, where TT found a few diamonds in collins, poppinga, montgomery, hawkins,...Coston is 6'4 317, which is light as some guards go (about 30 pounds less than Whitticker)...I have no idea what Coston is like on his feet--I don't know at this point, honestly I'd like to see a vet like Stephen Neal brought in from New England, just someone who we know will be solid, maybe even Adrian Klemm is better suited for this system...

Whitticker is too big and blob-ish to play this zone system in Green Bay

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
our OC jaganngnaaodozwkski was scouting Coston last year while he was working in Atlanta. Thats good news to hear.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
our OC jaganngnaaodozwkski was scouting Coston last year while he was working in Atlanta. Thats good news to hear.

I heard good things about Coston during the draft and camp...but during the year a lot of people on here seemed to write him off (i notice that theme here a lot)--for no good reason even though Coston was just chillin' on the practice squad

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah I'll be interested to see how that plays out

tauscher and clifton weren't very solid when they were young linemen either, guys!

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard different, I heard he could play RT. (which means tauscher at RG)

Interesting.

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see drafting D'Brickashaw as either trade bait or if Clifton had only a year or two left on his contract (or use Clifton as trade bait). But Chad has many years left on his contract, D'Brickashaw is starter material right out of college, and having them both on the field is overkill.

However, if Chad had a year or so left on his contract, I could see us drafting D'Brickashaw, letting him play RT to gain some experience, don't resign Chad, and move D'Brickashaw on Favre's blindside.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's been a LT since he was a Freshman at Virginia.. So I don't Green BAy drafting him to move him. If anything I rather see Barry at Tackle and Tausher at guard and draft Hawk. Of course if Mario is on the board he's got to be our guy. Trading down for Ngata would be nice as well. Ngata and Pickett in the middle. Who would try to run on that. Our weakest link was the running defense last year. That's a big upgrade in my opinion.

Members online

Latest posts