MM on our Pass Defense - Oct 23rd !!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(Last in the league in pass defense, does that worry you?)

"I think you have to look through the numbers. I think we're all well aware that you can use statistics a number of ways. There are certain statistics, in my opinion, that are vital to the success of a football team. I think turnover ratio is; you can spin that any way you want, but you're either plus or minus. I think when you get into total offense or total defense, it can be skewed. 63 passes in one game, four hundred yards, I take that as a win when you sit there and watch the film. Part of that is the two three-and-outs on offense in the third quarter, and there are other factors like field position, the weather was a factor, not an excuse but a factor. I thought our pass defense improved. We hit the quarterback 15 times, so you see the pass rush, you see the balls being broken up. Frankly, that's the M.O. against us right now. People look at those numbers and say, 'Hey, that's the way we're going to come at that defense'. That will continue until we stop it. It's an area of emphasis, but as far as being concerned about it, I think we improved in that area this week"

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our secondary problems are probably not going to be fixed this year. Why? Because I believe that poor coaching is the big problem. MM will fix that in the off-season. The most improvement is coming from the much better play calling and the new-found ability to make adjustments during play and at the half. Both were abysmal last year. Our young guys are buying into the system and they are our future.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our secondary problems are probably not going to be fixed this year. Why? Because I believe that poor coaching is the big problem. MM will fix that in the off-season. The most improvement is coming from the much better play calling and the new-found ability to make adjustments during play and at the half. Both were abysmal last year. Our young guys are buying into the system and they are our future.

If he knows it's a coaching problem he should fix it now.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree Depack, other teams are firing their off and def coaches.

It's not helping those other teams to fire their coaches right now though, and it won't help us.

It's more than just coaching, it's having 2 new DBs in the base defense. It's having a second year safety trying to make up for mistakes from the more experienced safety. It's not having experienced nickel and dime backs, new and experienced players learning to play in this league.

There were a lot of changes to the secondary and it will take time for them to play well together. I don't agree with the choice for the coach, but right now is the wrong time to change. Wait until the offseason.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To show how skewed overall yards can be as MM stated just look at the Total Passing Yards Allowed per game.

Currently ranked #1 in the NFL: Oakland Raiders

Kind of reminds me of another team with stats last year that really didn't mean squat or tell the true story by any means.

We are last in passing yards allowed per game but also 1st in Passes Attempted Against. Teams throw it 38 times a game against us on average.

Oakland's average against is 22. That's about 100 fewer passes thrown against them then we have seen. Why? Two reasons:

1) We are way better than last year against the run(ranked 10th). Teams are not going to beat us running the ball.
2) For what MM eluded too. Our number of QB pressures is down. Our sack total is good. Total QB pressures is not.

As MM said they are going to throw it until we put more pressure on the QB. That's our "MO".

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To show how skewed overall yards can be as MM stated just look at the Total Passing Yards Allowed per game.

Kind of reminds me of another team with stats last year that really didn't mean squat or tell the true story by any means.

We are last in passing yards allowed per game but also 1st in Passes Attempted Against. Teams throw it 38 times a game against us on average.

Oakland's average against is 22. That's about 100 fewer passes thrown against them then we have seen. Why? Two reasons:

1) We are way better than last year against the run(ranked 10th). Teams are not going to beat us running the ball.
2) For what MM eluded too. Our number of QB pressures is down. Our sack total is good. Total QB pressures is not.

As MM said they are going to throw it until we put more pressure on the QB. That's our "MO".

Helluva post, warhawk. Good use of facts and statistics.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, if the Raiders are #1 against the pass, then they must be the best team against the pass. Just kidding.

Heh. There are only two stats that matter - points and turnovers. If I'm a Defensive Cordinator, I'd be proud of my team if we get 3 INTs a game, no matter how many yards they allow in the air. That was the real difference between the Dolphins game and the game before it - our D held on to the ball when it ended up in our hands.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure seems like they addressed the issue of coming up with the big play when it's your chance.

Members online

Latest posts