Current rankings of Rushing Offense

1 Kansas City 445 2150 4.8 70 10 165.4 4 2
3 Oakland 406 1941 4.8 57 14 149.3 7 2
10 Pittsburgh 383 1563 4.1 50 10 120.2 7 2
11 Tampa Bay 353 1533 4.3 61 8 117.9 6 6
12 Buffalo 336 1487 4.4 39 6 114.4 8 3
19 St. Louis 365 1402 3.8 42 7 107.8 2 1
24 Green Bay 325 1284 4.0 71 9 98.8 3 1

6 teams thought to have less talent at OL, have better rushing production. I think if you take AR runs out of the picture and this looks even more bleak.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Tomlin - studied with Bill Cowher and took over a team ready to go.

Belichick- 2nd, 4th, & 5th year SUPERBOWL WINS & 8th year LOSS to the NYG in SB ..As others have pointed out..Tell us aobut his Cleveland years too

Ken Wisenhunt - 2nd year lost in superbowl...
And this year with out key players from that SB team, whats his record?

Jim Caldwell - first year superbowl loss...
Again not his real team he took over for Tony...This year with all the injuries whats the record?

Sean Payton - first year championship game Loss to bears in '06 & year 4 WON superbowl...Why not bring out the record in between 06 and 09?

look I totally get that you are specifically speculating my post to unveil your point, which you didn't really say what it (your point) was, you kind of just pointed out coaches you felt like pointing out of the 13 I mentioned, you labeled 4...I'm not an NFL INFORMATION GURU, I'm just pointing out what little I KNOW...

So fine, feel free to not include those 4 from my list, 9 coaches having success in their first few years isn't a small # either, and they are all still coaching...but regardless there are 13 CURRENT HC's that have had good if not GREAT (playoff wins) success!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
look I totally get that you are specifically speculating my post to unveil your point, which you didn't really say what it (your point) was, you kind of just pointed out coaches you felt like pointing out of the 13 I mentioned, you labeled 4...I'm not an NFL INFORMATION GURU, I'm just pointing out what little I KNOW...

So fine, feel free to not include those 4 from my list, 9 coaches having success in their first few years isn't a small # either, and they are all still coaching...but regardless there are 13 CURRENT HC's that have had good if not GREAT (playoff wins) success!

and I might have missed some, but I have just listed 13 CURRENT HC's that all have had success early in their HC career witht their CURRENT teams........MM out, you wouldn't feel good about DOM CAPERS?

You put in Bill B..His 1st 4 years as a HC were with the Browns, how can you use that to compare him to MM? He had 4 years ALREADY as a HC with a different team before going to the Pats......If you insist, then put his Brown record in 36-44

Tomlin, and Caldwell each studied with GREAT coaches, and took over for the same teams that were winning already..so toss them out, as you cant compare them to MM

Wisenhunt is now under same situation as MM..Players missing and he cant coach them to a .500 record..

My points are that dont use them to prove a point, cuz it wont prove anything other than sometimes coaches get handed good teams..And sometimes good coaches have to deal with missing players..

The ones I did not bring up prove your point.

didnt think I had to lay it all out

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan

thank you

longtimefan
You put in Bill B..His 1st 4 years as a HC were with the Browns, how can you use that to compare him to MM? He had 4 years ALREADY as a HC with a different team before going to the Pats......If you insist, then put his Brown record in 36-44

Tomlin, and Caldwell each studied with GREAT coaches, and took over for the same teams that were winning already..so toss them out, as you cant compare them to MM

Wisenhunt is now under same situation as MM..Players missing and he cant coach them to a .500 record..

My points are that dont use them to prove a point, cuz it wont prove anything other than sometimes coaches get handed good teams..And sometimes good coaches have to deal with missing players..

I can agree with your point about BILL

Tomlin did take over a good team
Caldwell took over a good team w/ an ELITE QB
Wisenhunt took over the cardinals who were GODAWFUL

Wade Philips took over a playoff team....
Herm Edwards took over a playoff team....
McDaniels took over a great offensive team & nuked it

It translated for Tomlin & Caldwell, but not those guys...there's just a little more involved then just steering a ship...in my humble opinion

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM would have to have a disaster season next year to lose his job. under .500

according to the coaches he works with "the jury is still out"

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Mike Tomlin - won a superbowl in his 2nd year
The second McCarthy's given **** LeBeau and the Steelers defense to work with, I'll agree. And no, our defense now isn't the same as Pittsburgh's defense.

Norv Turner - has made it to at least divisional playoffs every year so far
Including his time in Washington? Oakland? Don't cherrypick.

Rex Ryan - first year afc championship loss,2nd year one of the best records in the afc
Remember '07 when McCarthy took his team to the NFC Championship? And we're only one game worse than the Jets right now.

Belichick- 2nd, 4th, & 5th year SUPERBOWL WINS & 8th year LOSS to the NYG in SB
LOL. There isn't another Belichick. He's by far the best coach in the NFL.

Ken Wisenhunt - 2nd year lost in superbowl
He went 9-7 that year and needed Larry Fitzgerald to carry his team to the Super Bowl. And how's he doing now?

Sparano - first year made playoffs
Again, how's he doing now?

John Harbaugh - loss in championship game, lost in divional round, probably gonna make it again this year (third year)
Again, McCarthy's never had a defense quite like the one he has. And their offense is probably just as good as ours too.

Jim Caldwell - first year superbowl loss
Peyton Manning. I could coach that team.

Todd Haley - current 2nd year leading div
Wake me when he wins a Playoff game.

Tom Coughlin - currently in his 7th season in NY, 5 playoff appearances including SB victory, 2nd year made playoffs
We'll forget all those late season collapses. And the fact that he's got the benefit of the best D-line in the league.

Mike McCarthy - championship game loss in year 2, year 4 sickening loss to the cards
You say that like it's some horrible resume. It's not.

Mike Smith - first year made playoffs, 3rd year (this year, leading NFC)
Matt Ryan, Michael Turner, Roddy White, Tony Gonzalez.

Sean Payton - first year championship game Loss to bears in '06 & year 4 WON superbowl
I'll give you this one. I still think we should've hired him back when we hired Mike. Oh well, nothing we can do about it now.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The incident with the Jets coach has me thinking......
It could be worse.
At least MM isn't doing ****** moves such as tripping up players of opposing teams.
I will take bad play calling any time over doing hanus moves of intentionaly hurting opposing players.
A big F you to the friggen Jets!
Those guys deserve to lose every single game from now to the end of time for what their coach did.

I don't care what anybody says or thinks about MM.
At least he has class.
And he does try his best.
The legal way.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The second McCarthy's given **** LeBeau and the Steelers defense to work with, I'll agree. And no, our defense now isn't the same as Pittsburgh's defense.

Remember '07 when McCarthy took his team to the NFC Championship? And we're only one game worse than the Jets right now.

He went 9-7 that year and needed Larry Fitzgerald to carry his team to the Super Bowl. And how's he doing now?

Again, McCarthy's never had a defense quite like the one he has. And their offense is probably just as good as ours too.

We'll forget all those late season collapses. And the fact that he's got the benefit of the best D-line in the league.

I'll give you this one. I still think we should've hired him back when we hired Mike. Oh well, nothing we can do about it now.

As far as ATL I dont know any coach that can win without quality players.

And as far as caldwell how many SBs did manning go to before that? Just 1 I believe...

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think you misunderstood the point of me posting those HC's...which was showing examples of HC's taking a team & having relatively early success...success being Playoff Caliber, Playoff Wins, etc...that's all...obviously if I list 13 HC's all 13 teams are not going to be all unanimously SUCCESSFUL presently all at the same time...Simply pointing out HC's with early success...that's all Jess, ok buddy?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
But pointing out HC with EARLY success when the team was built by a prev coach or was under the prev coaches staff, sort of blows holes out of your theory

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But pointing out HC with EARLY success when the team was built by a prev coach or was under the prev coaches staff, sort of blows holes out of your theory

wouldn't that be the case IF MM were to get canned?

What I'm saying is, it's not starting from scratch...why do INTERIM coaches do better then the former HC...what is IT that they do differently?

Leslie Frazier
Jason Garret
couple years back Tom Cable

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Players want to play for the new coach for what ever reason..No effort with old coaches

That is not the case with the Pack

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players want to play for the new coach for what ever reason..No effort with old coaches

That is not the case with the Pack

So therefore it can't be the case w/ Mike Tomlin, Jim Caldwell, John Harbaugh, & Norv Turner? right?...it's going to kill you to agree with me

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So therefore it can't be the case w/ Mike Tomlin, Jim Caldwell, John Harbaugh, & Norv Turner? right?...it's going to kill you to agree with me

Interim coach..One brought in middle of a season..I.E. Garret, Frazier

Tomlin was not an interim coach, he came from Minny..They were 2 years removed from winning the SB

Caldwell was on the Colts that was a playoff machine..They were set to make playoffs year after year

John Harbaugh again had a team set up for him..The prev year Ravens sucked but they had Kyle Boiler as the main q/b, before that they made the playoffs..

Norv? he was head coach off and on again since 94...7 years in Washington he was 1-1 in playoffs..Why wont you bring that up? In Oakland? 9-23..Why not bring that up? Then getting to SD, the team had their roster set from prev seasons

I dont know what the **** you want from me...in prev post I AGREED with you

didnt think I had to lay it all out
Why are you still arguing with me?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
For final post from me..

MM will NOT be on the hot seat from TT

To many injuries, and I dont care if YOU or others say injuries arent an excuse..

When you have 14 on IR that is a HUGE reason for their seasonal record..

3rd stringers are 3rd stringers for a reason, they can not execute when it really matters..They will have some good plays but then lot of bad plays..

1st team and 2nd teamers for most part, have more good plays then bad plays...

And by good plays I mean blocking well, tackling well, running routes correct, hitting correct hole, throwing good passes, covering a wr/rb well

Now go on and think MM is a horrible coach and needs to be fired..All you will get is more pissed off when he isnt fired

Rutnstrut

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To put it bluntly this team will never go to a superbowl with MM and TT in charge. Both are good at their jobs, but far from great.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think next season is the test. Mediocre and we could be looking at a new HC. I think the team needs tinkering, no need to blow it up.

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More movie cliche's. "Don't talk to me about injuries, yadayadayada". Here's some perspective from a former coach; the 2010 Green Bay Packers are putting a hybrid team of JV and Freshman to play for the injured Varsity. Get it???? When the coaches talk to the newspapers they all say "injuries are no excuse..." but I can tell you with authority that injuries are the main topic at EVERY meeting EVERY day. What this team has been able to overcome this year is nothing short of a miracle and portends an extremely bright future. If you are "tired of waiting" and "sick to your stomach" jump on another bandwagon, there' plenty of teams winning NOW. I am also a little frustrated with this year because our Packers have lost some games they had a chance to win. But I am encouraged because I understand the challenge of playing with reserves and realize we probably have no business being 8-4 with the second and third stringers. Being a Green Bay Packer fan is not for the faint hearted, but I guess that's something only born and bred Packer fans really understand. If you can't wear your green and gold with EXTREME pride I suggest you take it off. Otherwise quit yer*****in' and enjoy the ride, you're missing all the fun.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
More movie cliche's. "Don't talk to me about injuries, yadayadayada". Here's some perspective from a former coach; the 2010 Green Bay Packers are putting a hybrid team of JV and Freshman to play for the injured Varsity. Get it???? When the coaches talk to the newspapers they all say "injuries are no excuse..." but I can tell you with authority that injuries are the main topic at EVERY meeting EVERY day. What this team has been able to overcome this year is nothing short of a miracle and portends an extremely bright future. If you are "tired of waiting" and "sick to your stomach" jump on another bandwagon, there' plenty of teams winning NOW. I am also a little frustrated with this year because our Packers have lost some games they had a chance to win. But I am encoraged because I understand the challenge of playing with reserves and realize we probably have no business being 8-4 with the second and third stringers. Being a Green Bay Packer fan is not for the faint hearted, but I guess that's something only born and bred Packer fans really understand. If you can't wear your green and gold with EXTREME pride I suggest you take it off.
That said, we can't let the injuries explanation mask the deficits we have at coaching right now. What happens when we throw our starters out there next year (barring the lockout), and coaching blunders ruin a season with very high potential?

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deficits at coaching???? Go volunteer to coach at a local high school and get a first hand look. Then multiply what you see and learn there by about 1,000,000 and talk to us about coaching deficits. This coaching staff should be in the running for Coaches of the Year. They have had to adjust every aspect of the plan they came into the year with almost every week. Can you tell me you make ZERO mistakes where you work? (Be honest) So do these guys but they make their mistakes in front of a billion "experts" every week. Maybe this staff won't get the Packers to a Super Bowl but this is the absolute wrong year to make that kind of judgement.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts