1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mitchell Report

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by nathaniel, Dec 13, 2007.

1. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm excited, in that trainwreck kind of way. I know players I admire will be on the list. I have an idea as to who some of the players will be. Hopefully I'm wrong.

2. Scythe

Scythe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I have a pretty good idea of who will be on the list. I'm just hoping none of my favorites end up on it (John Smoltz, Chipper Jones, etc.).

3. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright, I'll bite - what is this list?

4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,948
    Major League Baseball now has the long-awaited Mitchell Report, and the report - on illegal performance-enhancing drug usage in the game - will likely be released tomorrow.

Different reports last night issued estimates ranging from 50 to 80 players who will be identified by Mitchell as offenders. But most team officials don't believe the list will have a significant impact on player transactions, and many are more curious what kind of, if any, recommendations former U.S. Senator George Mitchell - whom commissioner Bud Selig appointed to head the investigation in March 2006 - makes to the industry going forward.

Mitchell serves as the director of the Red Sox's board, a role from which he declined to resign when he took on this endeavor. That decision has opened Mitchell up to myriad conflict-of-interest charges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But the AP is saying MVPs and ALL STARS WILL be on the list

5. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Aha. Thanks LT. There was a time when I could tell you every player on the Pirates (my hometown team) and everything about them. But that was long ago. I stopped following baseball about 25 yrs ago - once free agency basically meant you had a different team every year.

6. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,948
    Sort of like football now???? :p

7. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Supposedly there is a big name from Boston on the list. If there aren't any Boston names, then I'd be suspicious, but I'm pretty sure there will be. I wouldn't want anyone for the Yankees working on the report either, because it'd be yet another reason for people to hate the Yankees. Ideally, someone without any MLB ties should have headed the report.

8. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The first name has been leaked. Roger Clemens. Of course, the first name on a report by a Red Sox employee is a Yankee. Only about 60 more names to go.

9. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Meh. He was a Red Sox, too, although I'm not sure what time frame the Report is including.

But I totally agree on the whole conflict of interest thing. To me it makes it a frickin joke. Selig is a joke, and George Mitchell has wasted taxpayers' money/time by doing this extended publicity stunt for part of the time he was in office. The whole deal just irks me.

But more on subject, I really hope it's not Papi, but it's highly likely. Guy changes teams and suddenly turns into a dynamic power hitter? Yeah, it's hard to change who your body says you are when you get past age 25.

Otherwise I'd guess Manny is probably a lock, and maybe even Schill. Schill would make me sad, cause that would ruin his HOF bid and make him seem like a HUGE hypocrite.

From the Yanks we all know Rocket and Giambi, but I think we may see Pettite or A-rod. Though I doubt A-rod, I think that guy is genuinely a physical specimen and naturally fantastic hitter.

The more I think about this, the more...... I'm so scared. :shivers: I feel cold, Nathaniel. Hold me? ..... :shock:

10. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Pettitte was just named. The report is either going to have huge ramifications, or none at all. If there's a name from every team, no one can really complain about another team cheating. I love baseball, and I feel like the game is tarnished already, having the actual names will just make it even more real. I'll be extremely disappointed if A-Rod is on it. He's like the one glimmer of hope to eventually overthrow the whole Bonds record, and bury the whole steroids thing. It's scary to think about who will be on the list. I'm not just worrying about Yankees players. There are guys all over the league that I admire, even a few on the Red Sox. The whole thing might be so overreaching that it might not end up being a big deal, if that makes sense.

11. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,948
    ESPN: Clemens, Pettitte named in Mitchell report

The Mitchell Report, MLB's investigation into steroids in the game, will be released at 2 p.m. ET today. Former Sen. George Mitchell will hold a news conference then, followed by a 4:30 conference with Commissioner Bud Selig. A third news conference with Players Union chief Don Fehr is scheduled for 6 p.m.

Many baseball experts believe that the report will largely contain the names and info of players such as Jason Grimsley who had previously been linked to illegal drug use. Others suggest that it could have a great impact and reveal names that had not previously been released.

We will have a ton of coverage later today, but some reports have already come out. ESPN is reporting that a former Yankee trainer who talked to Mitchell said he provided Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte with steroids.

12. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Mitchell probably has more to lose than any given player if this report comes out and it is a joke or lacks substance via hard edged proof in naming an players. Granted he is a politician and you can partial have doubts based on that fact alone, but seriously if he were to cover for any of the Socks players, someone is going to blow that story and the entire report will be discounted or dismissed. Mitchell's entire politcal career and legacy are riding on this report, I highly doubt there is any bias in the report.

Second.. I could care less if it is a Yankee, Socks, or a Brewer... I really want to hear how deep the issue is... I could care less about whom is named. But the interest for me, is how many people covered it up and how wide spread the issue is.

Third... A blanket will be thrown over the entire era and it is just another shame that American sports will have to deal with and bury. But this report will only start the recovery process by hopefully exposing the manner in which the cover-up was carried out. I really expect little in the terms of players, Managers and baseball officals being held accountable.

Hopefully the players named will step forward, take accountility on their own and move on from it.

13. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I totally agree with you, man. It makes me sad, no matter who's named. It's like knowing that your wife cheated on you would be one thing. But having to hear the who, the how and the where would just be beyond sickening.

It seems like everyone wanted to know at first, wanted the game "purified". Now the closer we get to seeing how dirty it was, it seems most fans would rather just forget it and move on. But this report makes it difficult.

I've already mentally moved on, and am (I think) prepared to hear some really bummer names. I'm just ready to watch these guys get back to playing, and be done with the whole mess....

14. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    One more item... hopefully with this the shame of the acts are shared among all the juicers... not just Barry Bonds.

15. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont like him as a person, but he was railroaded completely.

16. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I'm trying to figure out right now. It's not that I'm going to scrutinize the other players as much as I did Bonds, but it makes me feel like I wasted so much time complaining about him, when I KNEW he wasn't the only one. I think it was like I was hoping it would all go away with him, and that would be the end of it. It's just that the guy who got called on it happened to be chasing the greatest record in sports. Aaron deserves to have that record till the end of the world. Alot of it does have to do with the players attitudes as well. Bonds and Clemens aren't the most humble guys in the world. They both have entitlement issues.

I'm not the biggest Clemens fan, but I am a big Pettitte fan. I guess I'm just confused. It's just sad. I was excited about the list, for parody's sake, now I don't know.

17. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    I don't really care for the way he acts or the things he does, but for him to be the "fall" guy for MLB was a complete sham... Bud will have to face that fact with the release of this report. Lots of little * to go around.

18. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Mitchell is on TV right now. He has said he doesn't think Selig should punish the players for past usage, and that the accusations of usage against players named, including current players, are 2 to 9 years old, that none have been accused of using in the past two years.

19. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This seems like he has nothing concrete. After how many months and how many millions of dollars, he has almost nothing concrete on anyone.. What a waste.

20. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  21. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    except copies of checks from people giving money to this guy for roids.

This thing is funny. Selig is gonna kill himself. Every team had someone involved. Classic.

Nobody currently on the Cubs though! Phew!

Also, Neifi Perez...whatever you are taking, it is NOT working.

22. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Just skimming through, it says Roger Clemens used steroids.

23. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Pujols too according to NBC.

That one is HUGE if true.

24. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm scouring the report for names, so I'll post them as I find them. Here's the first batch, all BALCO related.

Marvin Benard
    Barry Bonds
    Bobby Estalella
    Jason Giambi
    Jeremy Giambi
    Benito Santiago
    Gary Sheffield (I've read his book, he talks about it in there)
    Randy Velarde

25. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Dante Bichette, Albert Belle, Paul Byrd, Wil Cordero, Ken Caminiti, Mike Cameron, Ramon Castro, Jose and Ozzie Canseco, Roger Clemens, Paxton Crawford, Wilson Delgado, Lenny Dykstra, Johnny Damon, Carl Everett, Kyle Farnsoworth, Ryan Franklin, Troy Glaus, Rich Garces, Jason Grimsley, Troy Glaus, Juan Gonzalez, Eric Gagne, Nomar Garciaparra, Jason Giambi, Jeremy Giambi Jose Guillen, Jay Gibbons, Juan Gonzalez, Clay Hensley, Jerry Hairston, Felix Heredia, Jr., Darren Holmes, Wally Joyner, Darryl Kile, Matt Lawton, Raul Mondesi, Mark McGwire, Guillermo Mota, Robert Machado, Damian Moss, Abraham Nunez, Trot Nixon, Jose Offerman, Andy Pettitte, Mark Prior, Neifi Perez, Rafael Palmiero, Albert Pujols, Brian Roberts, Juan Rincon, John Rocker, Pudge Rodriguez, Sammy Sosa, Scott Schoenweiis, David Segui, Alex Sanchez, Gary Sheffield, Miguel Tejada, Julian Tavarez,Fernando Tatis, Maurice Vaughn, IJason Varitek, Ismael Valdez, Matt Williams and Kerry Wood Brady Anderson, Manny Alexander, Rick Ankiel, Jeff Bagwell, Barry Bonds, Aaron Boone, Rafaeil Bettancourt, Bret Boone, Milton Bradley

according to nbc