Missing Moss? I don't think so.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Article in Star Trib puts it about right with Moss. How many games have the Raiders won? //http://www.startribune.com/stories/150//

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/stories/150/5626087.html <-- link to article

Jim Souhan said:
The Vikings are missing the contributions of a certain big-play receiver -- they've been losing since he left. And there's no chance of his return.

This is an admission. The Vikings do, indeed, miss their big-play wide receiver.

They miss the guy who produced all those touchdowns, who filled all those highlight reels, who shined during the greatest successes of the post-Purple People Eater era.

They miss the guy who overcame trouble early in his career to rise to greatness, who committed acts of silliness in the end zone, who made Daunte Culpepper a better quarterback, who was left heartbroken by the Vikings' 41-0 loss to the Giants in the 2000 NFC Championship Game.

To evoke his greatness, you need only intone his three-syllable name. The Vikings haven't been the same since he left, in 2002.

That's right, the receiver the Vikings have missed the most in the new millennium is not the most talented receiver in NFL history -- Randy Moss.

It's the best receiver in Vikings history -- Cris Carter.

Don't listen to the TV shills who tell you that two teams -- the Oakland Raiders and the Vikings -- will be defined by Moss this season.

That's the easy story from the booth. It's the wrong story in the real world, where sport can be inexplicable and more than talent counts.

For example, who knew back in 1991 that a waiver claim would land the Vikings a future Hall of Famer?

In 1992, Carter became the leading receiver on a playoff team. From that point until the drafting of Moss, the Vikings frequently changed quarterbacks, offensive coordinators, running backs and management teams. The constants were coach Denny Green and his good friend Cris Carter.

So you can divide recent Vikings history into two categories:

They went 56-40 (a .583 winning percentage) when Carter was their top receiver, from 1992 to 1997.

They went 41-23 (.641) from 1998 to 2001, when Carter and Moss played together.

They went 23-25 (.479) from 2002 to '04, after Carter left and Moss became the unquestioned star.

Now Moss is making spectacular catches and taking smoke breaks for a new team, and that team is 0-2, making his personal record 23-27 without Carter.

With Oakland, Moss has made those breathless TV announcers gasp with two 100-yard games, and then there is this:

On a key third down against New England, Moss dropped a pass, contributing to another loss.

On a key third-and-7 against Kansas City, Moss ran a 6-yard pattern, caught the ball and stepped out of bounds without bothering to stretch for the first down.

In both games, according to eyewitnesses, Moss continued his pattern of taking plays off.

This is not to say the Vikings couldn't use him. They need all the help they can get, and Moss' absence was one reason they couldn't run the ball against Tampa Bay.

And if Moss had performed spectacularly against Cincinnati, the Vikings might have lost only 38-21, and he might have walked off the field early, compounding his team's embarrassment.

Moss fans love to argue that he is a transcendent player, but he has proved to be a spectacular loser.

So, please, stop blaming the Vikings' woes on Moss' departure.

When the players are good enough -- and the current Vikings should be at least competent -- there is no choice but to blame the coaching.

Former offensive coordinator Scott Linehan was Culpepper's security blanket. When Linehan took over quarterback coaching duties during the 2002 season, Culpepper was transformed into the man who set an NFL record for combined passing and rushing yards last year.

Now Linehan is gone, new offensive coordinator Steve Loney is trying to learn on the job and coach a depleted offensive line and call plays, and Tice is displaying the leadership skills that made New Orleans the tourist attraction it is today.

At this point in his career, Culpepper should be tutoring Loney and taking charge of the offense, not paying homage to Monty Python's 100-meter dash for people with no sense of direction.

Tice and Culpepper welcomed life without Randy.

Through two games, both have failed to take command of their team, and both seem to agree that Culpepper should shoulder the blame.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Moss would have helped the Vikings. He was right when he said the Vikings are too cheap. They splurged a little bit this year but on people like... Sharper??!!??

OP
OP
V

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the site, Slick. I think the new regime will be smarter than Red...and less cheap where it counts. Moss w/o Carter 23-25. Raiders with moss 0-2. Enjoy RaiderPride!

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not trying to talk smack here, but does that article almost sound like a case of sour grapes?

Could part of the reason that Daunte has 8 picks and no TDs so far is that he doesn't have his safety valve anymore? No longer can he throw deep and let Moss outjump everyone for a long gainer?

I'm not yet sold on the fact that the Vikes (especially Culpepper) don't REALLY miss Moss. Its painfully obvious to me that they do.

I realize a big part of the equation is Linehan and the O-line, but Daunte's teddy bear is gone, and he misses him.

Just my :twocents:

OP
OP
V

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Moss fits into the equation, but the changes on the O-line and losing Linehan hurt us more. Moss will not be the savior that every one thinks he will in Oakland.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the reason Daute is suffering is the same reason Brett has looked very human this year. They each are getting pressure right up the middle and no QB likes that. Birk is as big a loss as Moss IMO.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikefan said:
Article in Star Trib puts it about right with Moss. How many games have the Raiders won? //http://www.startribune.com/stories/150//

they have not won yet vikefan, but moss seems to still perform with them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts