Miscellaneous Playoff Notes

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want the lions to beat the cowboys so I am a little disappointed.

I dont get the NFL only taking this situation into account and not his other issues...

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want the lions to beat the cowboys so I am a little disappointed.

I dont get the NFL only taking this situation into account and not his other issues...
I wanted him suspended, but in retrospect it probably would have been in our favor if he hadn't been.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sissys. Ted Cottrell was the last person to reverse a suspension appeal and now did it again. Suh is about to make tens of millions. Do you really think he cares about $70k? The NFL continues to be a joke an inconsistent.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the lions to beat the Cowboys. I think they can contain Murray and with their interception loving secondary they will force romo into some bad throws.

If they go onto Seattle it will come down to Stafford and what kind of game he has. The Detroit D can contain lynch, and levy is the type of linebacker to contain Wilson if needed. Stafford could easily give away the game though against that secondary. Megatron vs booker t I mean Sherman? That's a match up I look forward to

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Interesting that Shermans "slow hips" and lack of "top end speed" was brought up in this. hehe

As well as that part, which you ignored of course because you can´t give credit to a great player on another team:

"He wins because of Seattle's pass rush and the safety tandem behind him, but make no mistake, he's one of the smartest cornerbacks in football and understands route combos very well. And because he was a former WR, he has top-notch ball skills as well."

Edit: That's why I thought the last time we played these guys MM would call short routes to Cobb and then set up the "double move" on Sherman.

Cobb is best suited to line up in the slot, Sherman won´t cover him there.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I like the lions to beat the Cowboys. I think they can contain Murray and with their interception loving secondary they will force romo into some bad throws.

If they go onto Seattle it will come down to Stafford and what kind of game he has. The Detroit D can contain lynch, and levy is the type of linebacker to contain Wilson if needed. Stafford could easily give away the game though against that secondary. Megatron vs booker t I mean Sherman? That's a match up I look forward to
It's not all on him, but Stafford is 0-16 or 0-17 (I've heard and read both and won't take the time to look it up) on the road against winning teams. I doubt he/they can do it twice in a row.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

So far as I know, Sherman is still playing one side of the field and is not matching up.

In week 1, Nelson was swung to the opposite side all day with 14 targets; there were no targets to the #3 sacrificed at the Sherman altar.

Given that Rodgers has gone off Adams since his drops in Tampa (no targets to Adams against Detroit), that would not be a bad trade off once again.

D

Deleted member 6794

So far as I know, Sherman is still playing one side of the field and is not matching up.

In week 1, Nelson was swung to the opposite side all day with 14 targets; there were no targets to the #3 sacrificed at the Sherman altar.

Given that Rodgers has gone off Adams since his drops in Tampa (no targets to Adams against Detroit), that would not be a bad trade off once again.

I don't want the Packers to ignore Sherman's side completely once again if we meet them in the playoffs. That would make the job harder for Nelson and Conb as the Seahawks would be able to shift their safeties in their direction even more.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
As well as that part, which you ignored of course because you can´t give credit to a great player on another team:

"He wins because of Seattle's pass rush and the safety tandem behind him, but make no mistake, he's one of the smartest cornerbacks in football and understands route combos very well. And because he was a former WR, he has top-notch ball skills as well."

No I am just careful when calling someone "Great". IMO if a corner needs a great pass run and constant safety help that's not a "great corner". For example "Deion Sanders" was "great" and while pass rush helped he didn't need any safety help.

Cobb is better in the slot but our receivers can be "interchangeable" and he can play outside. Teams that have beaten the Seahawks have not done it with this "were not gonna throw the ball Richards Sherman's way" approach. I think you go right after Richard Sherman early and let him know that we know that he is slow. Push that guy out of the game not by not throwing at him but by fearing our speed.

It's all about match ups. Since we know where he is gonna line up throw Cobb out wide on Sherman as he is there slowest DB and put Nelson in the slot. Overload Seattle's slow side with speed forcing Thomas to help with inside receiver. Then Cobb has a "match up dream". I would be shocked if some of this concept is not used if we play them again. If you need further film to review to see how this works it's out there. Throw in the Redskins game and watch Colt McCoy and Desean Jackson do the same damn thing.

Here you will Andrew Luck and TY Hilton and the Colts execute it. I don't see why we couldn't with the guys we have.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I am not gonna get obnoxious and talk smack but I am not gonna sit here and play "Seattle fear factor with you either"

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I mean Jarrett Boykin came out after the last game and said this Sherman guy is "Just another guy". Better get on Boykin for being disrespectful while your at it.

D

Deleted member 6794

No I am just careful when calling someone "Great". IMO if a corner needs a great pass run and constant safety help that's not a "great corner". For example "Deion Sanders" was "great" and while pass rush helped he didn't need any safety help.

Cobb is better in the slot but our receivers can be "interchangeable" and he can play outside. Teams that have beaten the Seahawks have not done it with this "were not gonna throw the ball Richards Sherman's way" approach. I think you go right after Richard Sherman early and let him know that we know that he is slow. Push that guy out of the game not by not throwing at him but by fearing our speed.

It's all about match ups. Since we know where he is gonna line up throw Cobb out wide on Sherman as he is there slowest DB and put Nelson in the slot. Overload Seattle's slow side with speed forcing Thomas to help with inside receiver. Then Cobb has a "match up dream". I would be shocked if some of this concept is not used if we play them again. If you need further film to review to see how this works it's out there. Throw in the Redskins game and watch Colt McCoy and Desean Jackson do the same damn thing.

Here you will Andrew Luck and TY Hilton and the Colts execute it. I don't see why we couldn't with the guys we have.

I am not gonna get obnoxious and talk smack but I am not gonna sit here and play "Seattle fear factor with you either"

Cobb has been the best slot receiver in the league this season, I'd rather have him line up vs. Jeremy Lane. I don't see any sense in moving Cobb to the outside and Nelson into the slot as both of them are better suited to play where they mostly line up.

The comparison with Hilton and DeSean Jackson doesn't work either as both of them line up on the outside more often than in the slot.

If we face the Seahawks in the playoffs I don't expect Adams or Boykin to be a deciding factor in the game. It will be important though to get Lacy and one of the TEs involved in the passing game though.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Cobb has been the best slot receiver in the league this season, I'd rather have him line up vs. Jeremy Lane. I don't see any sense in moving Cobb to the outside and Nelson into the slot as both of them are better suited to play where they mostly line up.

The comparison with Hilton and DeSean Jackson doesn't work either as both of them line up on the outside more often than in the slot.

If we face the Seahawks in the playoffs I don't expect Adams or Boykin to be a deciding factor in the game. It will be important though to get Lacy and one of the TEs involved in the passing game though.

I love Cobb in the Slot too but whats wrong with putting him outside on some plays if it give us a good match up?

I mean Jeremy Lane is there fastest DB. I still like Cobb to win that match up but I know there is no way Sherman can run with Cobb.

Agreed, a big game from any of those other guys would be huge.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
like every game it's going to come down to their execution. If the WR's are catching the ball, and there aren't balls going off their finger tips for INT's and there aren't drive killing penalties throughout the game I feel really good about our chances against any team in any stadium.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
like every game it's going to come down to their execution. If the WR's are catching the ball, and there aren't balls going off their finger tips for INT's and there aren't drive killing penalties throughout the game I feel really good about our chances against any team in any stadium.

My point is that if Cobb goes outside on Sherman and Jordy to the slot where he will be covered By Lane they will probably end up having to make an adjustment and bring move Sherman over to slot like I have seen them do and put Someone else outside on Cobb. Now we have more potential nice match ups that I believe are in our favor. I love the idea of making the Seahawks do things they don't want to do. If we can then force them to blitz then OH MY.

I really like how MM worked match ups effectively in the New England game. But yes obviously execution is an important factor.

EDIT: If we went at Revis I have no doubt MM is going to call this game completely different then week 1. Bulaga not getting hurt early in the game would be a plus too.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
:tup:
I mean Jarrett Boykin came out after the last game and said this Sherman guy is "Just another guy". Better get on Boykin for being disrespectful while your at it.
OK: Boykin's picture is next to the phrase "Just another guy" in my 'Colloquial dictionary'.

I really dislike Sherman too - I'm old and old school and prefer players who display class and that's the opposite of Sherman. But IMO he's one of the top CBs in the league. For example (not that they're the final word) Pro Football Focus had him as the 4th best CB in the league on November 26, 2014. He’s got 24 INTs in four seasons and 65 passes defensed. While stats for CBs can be deceiving - great CBs are thrown at less frequently than others - I've seen him play and on top of his skill defending passes he supports the run well. There are a few players in the league I just can't stand - suh is another - but if I deny or downplay their talent it would just make me look like an unrealistic homer, or like an uninformed fan.

If the Packers play the Seahawks again, if I were McCarthy I wouldn't make a point of throwing at Sherman. But I wouldn't avoid that half of the field either - he can only cover one receiver. And I wouldn't make a point of not throwing at Sherman either - I'd trust Rodgers to make that decision. If they play it will be another test the OL has to pass - both in opening holes for Lacy and Starks and protecting Rodgers.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
:tup: OK: Boykin's picture is next to the phrase "Just another guy" in my 'Colloquial dictionary'.

I really dislike Sherman too - I'm old and old school and prefer players who display class and that's the opposite of Sherman. But IMO he's one of the top CBs in the league. For example (not that they're the final word) Pro Football Focus had him as the 4th best CB in the league on November 26, 2014. He’s got 24 INTs in four seasons and 65 passes defensed. While stats for CBs can be deceiving - great CBs are thrown at less frequently than others - I've seen him play and on top of his skill defending passes he supports the run well. There are a few players in the league I just can't stand - suh is another - but if I deny or downplay their talent it would just make me look like an unrealistic homer, or like an uninformed fan.

If the Packers play the Seahawks again, if I were McCarthy I wouldn't make a point of throwing at Sherman. But I wouldn't avoid that half of the field either - he can only cover one receiver. And I wouldn't make a point of not throwing at Sherman either - I'd trust Rodgers to make that decision. If they play it will be another test the OL has to pass - both in opening holes for Lacy and Starks and protecting Rodgers.

Yeah, I can respect and appreciate all of that. I am just not ready to put Sherman in the "great" category and maybe part of it is how I feel. I don't see that changing anytime soon so I might not be the best person to give a fair evaluation of him. I mean maybe this is crazy but even though Suh just stepped on our QB's leg Sherman still bothers me more. Maybe that has something to do with beating the Lions and losing to the Seahawks while living in an area that is a Seattle fan base.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts