Minny's Return To Mediocrity Imminent As Packers Set Stage For 2010 Repeat

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't feel Cousins is an elite QB. I do think he's upper 2nd tier, pretty good, above average- however you want to put it. I believe the Vikings will put him in a system that accentuates his strengths while covering his flaws, allowing him to lean on the talent around him and that defense. The Vikings look like a formidable opponent to me, and right now better than the Packers even with Rodgers.

Reaction score
I think Cousins is somewhat underestimated. The question for me will be.. how fast Cousins adapts to his new team? He's a very fundamentally sound QB tho

D

Deleted member 6794

Game managers throw for 3.5K yards and play in offenses with the most rushing attempts, even though their RBs are average at best and they had the best WR duo in the league. Open your eyes.

Once again, you're putting way too much stock into passing yards. Rodgers has never finished better than fourth in that category in any season during his career yet I would argue him being the best quarterback in the league.

Same type of money we will be looking to give Martinez next season unless by chance we pick Roquan Smith/Tremaine Edmunds/Leighton Vander Esch/Rashad Evans with one of our first 2 picks.

It would be a terrible move by the Packers offering Martinez a contract averaging $10 million per season.

As surprisingly good as Keenum was last year, it's kind of hard to argue that Cousins does not represent an upgrade at QB.

I definitely agree that overall Cousins is a better quarterback than Keenum. I'm not convinced he will perform at a higher level than Case did last season for the Vikings though.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely agree that overall Cousins is a better quarterback than Keenum. I'm not convinced he will perform at a higher level than Case did last season for the Vikings though.

You said that once before and I think it sums up the situation very well.

However, how Keenum performed last year is not the key. The key is which QB (Keenum or Cousins) would give them a better chance at seeing those same numbers this year and I think the answer to that question is Cousins. In other words Keenum had a career year and he would have to have a second one this year which is unlikely whereas it is more likely that Cousins will have similar numbers.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The question that needs to be asked is not "is Cousin's an elite QB." but, when does a QB become elite? No one is elite starting out.
A tale of two QB's first 3 years as starters.
Code:
Att     Cmp     Per    Yards   TD    TD%     Int   Int %     YPA     YPG
1003   1552    64.5%  12,394   86   5.5%     31    2.0%      8.0     264
1132   1689    67.0%  13,176   81   4.8%     36    2.1%      7.8     274

Top one is Rodgers, bottom one is Cousins. Again, at what point does a QB become elite?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't disagree. But it is coming.

I definitely hope you're wrong about it.

However, how Keenum performed last year is not the key. The key is which QB (Keenum or Cousins) would give them a better chance at seeing those same numbers this year and I think the answer to that question is Cousins. In other words Keenum had a career year and he would have to have a second one this year which is unlikely whereas it is more likely that Cousins will have similar numbers.

I agree with that but my point is that I don't expect the Vikings quarterback play to significantly improve over last season with Cousins now starting.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im certainly down with the anti-Viking thread. With that said, let’s be honest, with last season as evidence the Packers are 1 player away from less than mediocrity. That was the team Teddy built, thankfully we have a new man calling the shots, only problem is that move came a few years too late causing us to be in this mini rebuild scenario, or however you want to word the current situation the team finds itself in.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely hope you're wrong about it.

I agree with that but my point is that I don't expect the Vikings quarterback play to significantly improve over last season with Cousins now starting.

We agree. I don't expect it to improve much either, if at all, but I also don't think it is as likely to fall off significantly. I think it is less likely to fall off significantly with Cousins than it would have been with Keenum. Is it worth 28 million to stay the same? if it leads to a SB then I'd say yes it is.

D

Deleted member 6794

We agree. I don't expect it to improve much either, if at all, but I also don't think it is as likely to fall off significantly. I think it is less likely to fall off significantly with Cousins than it would have been with Keenum.

I wholeheartly agree with that sentiment.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't wait for week 2. Our whole team will be healthy and get them at home. All we gotta do is lay a big old beatdown on them in this game and we'll be 2-0, they'll be 0-2 and we'll be storming away with the division right there.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't wait for week 2. Our whole team will be healthy and get them at home. All we gotta do is lay a big old beatdown on them in this game and we'll be 2-0, they'll be 0-2 and we'll be storming away with the division right there.
Yes, all that must happen is for a 7-9 team to beat down a 13-3 team who just upgraded their QB. Simple task.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we weren't healthy in week 2 of last year and nobody storms away with anything in week 2.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, all that must happen is for a 7-9 team to beat down a 13-3 team who just upgraded their QB. Simple task.

And we've not only done that this year, but also have plans to give our upgraded QB world class speed at WR this time. And the Vikings should be scared as well considering Mike Pettine's defenses have completely shutdown better offenses led by Tom Brady in the past. So don't be telling me this fictional story of Viking upgrades.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we weren't healthy in week 2 of last year and nobody storms away with anything in week 2.

Well, last year was a pretty extreme case of an offensive line being completely decimated by that point. In all my years of watching Packer football I've not usually seen the whole thing become a turnstile by week 2. But most especially I was referring to the fact that we're going to have our actual QB here for this game instead of the biggest hack in NFL history.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And we've not only done that this year, but also have plans to give our upgraded QB world class speed at WR this time. And the Vikings should be scared as well considering Mike Pettine's defenses have completely shutdown better offenses led by Tom Brady in the past. So don't be telling me this fictional story of Viking upgrades.

Buddy, you're green and gold glasses must be thicker than coke bottles.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts