Minny's Return To Mediocrity Imminent As Packers Set Stage For 2010 Repeat

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah I didn’t know that! It was probably a case of giving him longer to heal up. If they do pay Keenum I’ll be genuinely shocked as guys like him are literally solid back ups, not starters

It was not to let Bridgewater heal up. Zimmer flat out said Bradford was their best passer. If Bridgewater wasn't healed they wouldn't have activated him.

Keanum may not repeat what he but the Vikings will be very lucky to find a qb that matches his numbers. People underestimate how good he was. 2 in qbr. 10th rated PFF qb. I don't see Bridgewater coming close to that. Don't see Bradford staying healthy for a year so there is that. And I don't see cousins doing that. In my mind the Vikings will regress at qb no matter who they sign bc no one matches those numbers

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then pay the man his money. I really hope they do

Yeah, I'd say it's pretty premature at this point to be putting him up near the Romo contract of 2013 or what Stafford got paid this last season. We don't disagree at all about Raptor's point about his good year this last year, but he'll need to match or exceed those numbers again this year to prove it wasn't an outlier. They have a swath of defensive players who will also want to get paid and I don't think they'll want Keenum's contract to eat into those guys' cap space.

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, okay. You do realize the last 5 weeks he out played Brady, Bortles, Goff, Roethlisberger and Brees? But yeah, he overachieved.

Exactly!!! “The last 5 weeks” that’s enough for you to pay him $23 million!? I’m glad you’re not our GM ;)

Seriously Keemun is bad... I’ve watched the NFL the last couple of years and seen this man play like the journeyman that he is. Just because you have a stretch of 5 weeks of good play that warrants a huge pay day!?.... I gusss the niners didn’t get the memo

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We have a lot of work to do. We're in a good position to do so, but let's not get a head of ourselves
Forget that! I’m getting out in front because I think we will have better coaching on defense and plenty of new additions to the overall talent level thanks to the front office. Minnesota is ripe for a 7-9 season. I’m all in baby!!!

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings had nearly everything fall in their lap this year. Easy schedule, injuries to AR and Wentz, set an nfl record fir the fewest injuries to the defense and a shot at a home SB not to mention a db who threw himself into the turf instead of tackling the wr on the last play of the game vs the Aints in the playoffs. That said they have a really good secondary and decent d line that will keep them in the playoff hunt. I just hope they go with Teddy at qb. He can put up his paltry numbers and lead the team to a one and done playoff game. The worst scenario for the Packers is if they built a really good o line and went with Bradford. He's a statue but has great accuracy, a quick delivery and strong arm. Brady is a statue and so was Manning. As long as a team has a really good o line, winning with a statue at qb is no problem.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those here thinking the Vikings are just lucky and will fall off the map next season need to take off the green and gold glasses and have a cup of reality.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, we have things to take care of, with some decent decisions, I think we'll be in itnow and really pushing for it in 2 years. It's nice that Packer fans can see just how tough it is every year when it comes to other teams, i wish they did a better job of recognizing just how hard it is and what they've been able to do for the past decade. MN wasn't "lucky", but they were fortunate. They are positioned for another good year, but just like us and everyone else, they have to make the right decisions and have things work out to a degree. I don't see any of their QB's coming in and having a statistical year like Keenum just had. That said, they're getting a very talented RB back to lessen the load on the QB. They have a great defense that stayed largely healthy for a while now. Will they stay that way? History in the NFL says no and we saw what they became against good offenses after losing a guy or 2 for part of a game. What happens if they lose them for a half season or more? and more than 1?

it's no different for us. Cap and inverted draft help spread the wealth in the NFL and teams are a lot closer than they used to be. a key guy here or there and the season is won or lost. Even with the Eagles, what happens if Foles takes over week 2? The league had him figured out before. I think they were fortunate one to have him available because their starter is on a cheap rookie contract, and 2 the timing might seem bad, but it also helped. Now it took great coaching on Pederson's part, so nothing should be taken away from anything they've done. The real test will be if they need him to start the season because Wentz wasn't ready yet and teams have 3 masterful games of tape to study and attack him next year. Or maybe they never need him again.

It's a strange league and seasons are even stranger often times. We're in a good position, but it will take the right moves and a little bit of good fortune. MN is in the same boat.

Reaction score
I don't think "Mediocrity" will happen nearly as fast as we could hope for. Maybe 2019 and beyond, but not this season, 60% chance the Vikings are still relevant in the playoff race this season and they will be our primary concern in this division until proven otherwise. They still have solid FA choices in their QB room and they'll have another formidable RB in Dalvin Cook back in the mix. Possibly the most important factor is they are coming off a very successful year overall and they have the Cap space to achieve their objectives and then some.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Must have been pretty crushing for you since 2010 - starting half empty doesn't hurt nearly as much. :)
Can't speak for him ... but for me... nope. Looking at it from a positive viewpoint provides plenty of enjoyment with a much shorter period of disappointment than the other way around. Last year might be a bit of an exception because I was forced to keep watching games after Rodgers went down with very little possibility of a positive outcome, but the past few years of getting at least to the playoffs if not the NFCCG... has meant many hopeful and enjoyable games... when the season is over .... I can focus on other things. I realize you see it differently and I respect that..but that doesn't change my own perspective.

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our coaching staff is a joke compared to Minnesota. Which is why their arrow is pointed up and we continue to waste Rodgers' career.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple thoughts
1. Minnesota won't be mediocre. They have young talent and are not built around a single player
2. Minnesota will struggle to find a qb to produce like keenum. Even though he isn't elite he produced like a top 10. They likely won't match that production
3. That said what they lose at qb as they come back to earth they likely make up for at rb with cook coming back
4. There are likely to have more injuries on defense this year. I don't think they had a starter miss more than 2 games. That won't happen again
5. They are jerks for not letting their qb coach interview for the OC job for the Giants. Looks petty. Guy has a chance to move up the coaching ladder and you just passed him up for your for your oc position.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
A couple thoughts
1. Minnesota won't be mediocre. They have young talent and are not built around a single player
2. Minnesota will struggle to find a qb to produce like keenum. Even though he isn't elite he produced like a top 10. They likely won't match that production
3. That said what they lose at qb as they come back to earth they likely make up for at rb with cook coming back
4. There are likely to have more injuries on defense this year. I don't think they had a starter miss more than 2 games. That won't happen again
5. They are jerks for not letting their qb coach interview for the OC job for the Giants. Looks petty. Guy has a chance to move up the coaching ladder and you just passed him up for your for your oc position.
The Vikings have never had a QB start for 16 games in back to back seasons. The biggest fear of Packer fans should be if MN gets a QB that is capable of doing that. Packer fans should also take a bow to he football gods for having to HOF QB's back to back. That in itself is a rarity. New England fans will find out how rare in the next few years.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those here thinking the Vikings are just lucky and will fall off the map next season need to take off the green and gold glasses and have a cup of reality.

Not lucky, but for a team like theirs to go 13-3 in a season they definitely needed a lot of extra gravy on the potatoes. Looking at them going into this year, they're just not in position to get that this year and I can guarantee you they will drop at least 3 games down from that, most likely about 5.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubling down on my return to mediocrity prognostication though. Minny paying Kirk Cousins $30 million a year is gonna come back to bite them in the *** so big they're going to be losing talent all over the board. They also got a terrible draft position and are only going to get bad picks where they are. While I doubt Keenum will have another good year in Denver, you just always figure there is some value in continuity where keeping a guy on who's not a money sucker at least doesn't carry nearly as high the risks. Going out, getting a guy and paying him 2x what he's worth though is a terrible move that's going to have some pretty bad consequences coming with it.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubling down on my return to mediocrity prognostication though. Minny paying Kirk Cousins $30 million a year is gonna come back to bite them in the *** so big they're going to be losing talent all over the board. They also got a terrible draft position and are only going to get bad picks where they are. While I doubt Keenum will have another good year in Denver, you just always figure there is some value in continuity where keeping a guy on who's not a money sucker at least doesn't carry nearly as high the risks. Going out, getting a guy and paying him 2x what he's worth though is a terrible move that's going to have some pretty bad consequences coming with it.
Minnesota has a much, much better roster than we do. And they added a franchise QB to an offense which made a career journeyman look like a good QB. Forgive me if I'm not buying that.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Minnesota has a much, much better roster than we do. And they added a franchise QB to an offense which made a career journeyman look like a good QB. Forgive me if I'm not buying that.

You got terrible math skills then cuz you can't pay a guy more money than Matt Stafford and not end up losing huge pieces of the team that had success the previous year. The roster is going to start crumbling because of this, and despite what some idiots around here think, Rodgers' contract is going to stay lower than Cousins' or Brees'.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You got terrible math skills then cuz you can't pay a guy more money than Matt Stafford and not end up losing huge pieces of the team that had success the previous year. The roster is going to start crumbling because of this, and despite what some idiots around here think, Rodgers' contract is going to stay lower than Cousins' or Brees'.
You act as if they had $0 invested in the QB position prior to signing Cousins. It's true that he counts more against the bottom line, but Bradford still averaged $18M per year during the prior two seasons.

You are correct that many teams begin to decline once they succeed and have worse draft positions, and they have to invest a lot of money in talent that was once cheap. But NE has proven that you can have your cake and eat it for decades, so I wouldn't assume they will fall apart just because several other teams have.

ClaysSecondWife

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm happy they're over-paying (in my opinion) only a 'good' quarterback who takes too many sacks and always appears to have some underlying game/time management issues. That being said, I don't think these guys will lay down dead. My guess is Cousins implodes late in the season, throwing to a receiving core (although talented) that's lacking in depth. I'm calling a vikes 10-6 to a GB 12-4. In a perfect world the vikings go 6-10 and implode throughout the season, but that's just probably not reality.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They won't finish with less than 10 wins unless they have some injury issues on defense. And not the 1 game variety of injuries.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You act as if they had $0 invested in the QB position prior to signing Cousins. It's true that he counts more against the bottom line, but Bradford still averaged $18M per year during the prior two seasons.

You are correct that many teams begin to decline once they succeed and have worse draft positions, and they have to invest a lot of money in talent that was once cheap. But NE has proven that you can have your cake and eat it for decades, so I wouldn't assume they will fall apart just because several other teams have.

1. While I certainly respect Zimmer, he is no Bill Bellichek

2. Tom Brady has kept biting the bullet and settling for cheap contracts which might have something to do with that, and on top of that it just goes to show that the QB position trumps all others as it has for decades.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They won't finish with less than 10 wins unless they have some injury issues on defense. And not the 1 game variety of injuries.

It's been covered already that they've had more than their fair share of luck in the injury department on defense, and while I won't say their D will be completely decimated by them, I certainly believe they will have a substantially greater amount than what they had last year and it will affect their overall performance.

Bradford still averaged $18M per year during the prior two seasons.

The difference between $18 million and $30 million is gargantuan.

Members online

Latest posts