Minny's Return To Mediocrity Imminent As Packers Set Stage For 2010 Repeat

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings are a better team than the Packers. As someone accurately noted, we just have the best QB. Thielen is better than Nelson, mostly because he is younger and Nelson is (IMO) past his prime. Diggs and Adams are close but I've seen bigger games out of Diggs. We do have better #3 and #4 WRs. Their RBs are slightly better, our OL is better, and their entire defense is better than ours. Their defensive coach is better, and before Shurmer departed, I would have said that their offense is better.

Their team has subsisted for years with mediocre QB play. Their strength is defense and Dalvin Cook is for real. If he comes back strong after his ACL, they will be a threat no matter who is at QB. The word from pundits is that they will franchise tag Keenum and keep Bridgewater. I think they will be just fine at QB, depending on who the new offensive coordinator is.

Their entire team played poorly in the NFCCG outside of Kendricks and Keenum. Speaking of Kendricks, he's pretty amazing. Also on that defense is Barr, Linval Joseph, Everson Griffen, Harrison Smith, and Xavier Rhodes. That team has at least two legit playmakers at all three levels of their defense. The big key for them this year was that their average offensive line stayed mostly healthy and kept their QBs upright and free of constant pressure.

The reality is that the Packers likely would have won the NFC North had Rodgers been healthy. I think that will be the case next season as well but Minnesota will be nipping at our heals.

They won’t pay Keenum $23 million he’s a journeyman QB who over achieved in a team that made him look good

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t we are in rebuild mode as said above but I don’t think the Vikings are any less talented than us really?

QB goes without saying but that Defense is elite and the receivers are on par with our own. I think they will go back to Teddy and will look pretty good when Cook is taking hand off’s again but let’s not forget McKinnon and Murray didn’t do a bad job.

I like the coaching changes we have made and most importantly the GM. If we want to go from massive flop to where we belong in the playoffs they have a lot of work to do in FA and the draft
i do not think teddy bridgewater is in the Mix for the Vikings. When Bradford was healthy, he quietly took over the back up position again. Teddy wasn't even activated when playoffs came around

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I don't want the Vikings to return to mediocrity. I'd rather face a good team and then beat them down. A healthy rivalry will be exciting (...as long as win ofc :cautious:)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I don't want the Vikings to return to mediocrity. I'd rather face a good team and then beat them down. A healthy rivalry will be exciting (...as long as win ofc :cautious:)

I don't want them to return to mediocrity either. I don't want them to be that good. I want them to suck like no other team has sucked in the history of NFL...nay professional sports, suckage. If I want a healthy rivalry I'll take the Bears or the Lions any day. The only thing that comes close to a Packers victory is a vikings loss.

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i do not think teddy bridgewater is in the Mix for the Vikings. When Bradford was healthy, he quietly took over the back up position again. Teddy wasn't even activated when playoffs came around

He was Keenums backup as soon as he was healthy?

If you mean he wouldn’t of been if Bradford didn’t go down then maybe.... but how I see it is they drafted him to be “the guy” and he’s had a major injury then hes managed to rehabilitate and get back to a playing level. I think there’s one more chance for him to prove himself

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was Keenums backup as soon as he was healthy?

If you mean he wouldn’t of been if Bradford didn’t go down then maybe.... but how I see it is they drafted him to be “the guy” and he’s had a major injury then hes managed to rehabilitate and get back to a playing level. I think there’s one more chance for him to prove himself
He was, but I think it was because Bradford wasn't really ready again yet. By playoff time I thought Bradford was being activated and Teddy was on the inactive list. I could be wrong though. I guess he'd be cheap enough for them though. he had a long road to come back from and I don't foresee many putting a lot of money out there to take him away.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was, but I think it was because Bradford wasn't really ready again yet. By playoff time I thought Bradford was being activated and Teddy was on the inactive list. I could be wrong though. I guess he'd be cheap enough for them though. he had a long road to come back from and I don't foresee many putting a lot of money out there to take him away.

This correct. Bridgewater was inactive the last game. He wasn't happy about it just like any athlete wouldn't have been. From interviews it seems like the Vikings hadn't communicated with Keenum or Bridgewater on their plans at qb.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to disagree with this. As long as you can play defense in this league, you’re going to win. Minnesota has a young great defense. We just need to keep Rodgers healthy and build up our own damn defense.

Well, keyword there being play defense and I would say as good a personnel setup as they have, that's no guarantee their D will automatically retain its level of play from this year into next. Plus, I'd say it was a huge stroke of luck that they really had no injuries so to speak on that side of the ball or at least nothing on the IR that I know of. In today's league few teams stay healthy on defense all year like that even if our team has a little more of that than others'.

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This correct. Bridgewater was inactive the last game. He wasn't happy about it just like any athlete wouldn't have been. From interviews it seems like the Vikings hadn't communicated with Keenum or Bridgewater on their plans at qb.

Ah I didn’t know that! It was probably a case of giving him longer to heal up. If they do pay Keenum I’ll be genuinely shocked as guys like him are literally solid back ups, not starters

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than QB, at what positions do the Packers have equal or better talent than the Vikings? Capt. has already shown that their WR and TE corps is better. IMO the Vikings are not going away and the Packers have some catching up to do. The Packers better have a good draft and get 1-2 good FA, I mean FAs that are for real.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than QB, at what positions do the Packers have equal or better talent than the Vikings? Capt. has already shown that their WR and TE corps is better. IMO the Vikings are not going away and the Packers have some catching up to do. The Packers better have a good draft and get 1-2 good FA, I mean FAs that are for real.

Well, QB plus OL is the key part to making the rest of the offense go, and with a new OC and probably a new playbook coming in for Keenum (assuming their line of thinking is he's the horse that got us there so we're sticking with him), there's a good chance there could be an Atlanta type drop-off with them being that the Falcons offense dropped heavily in production from last year to this thanks to Sarkisian. Plus, I'd say WR is always something that either fluctuates, or gets improved on quickly even more so when you got an elite QB out there with the Pats being the classic example. So QB will always be the biggest determinant of how good your WRs are.

As to the defense, no question this was the biggest area the Vikes had the edge on us and practically everyone else except Philly, but here's another thing to consider. How much carryover year to year at a high level do you usually see an elite defense playing at? I'd say not that much mostly because unlike elite QBing where you only need one guy to be consistent, you got 11 men who you not only have to make adjustments with year to year, you also got 11 contracts to manage, hope that all 11 stay healthy and that you can keep depth behind them which is no given, and a lot of other things.

Another thing is I do think there is something to the psychological factor of losing a playoff game and losing it bad which is what the Vikings are up against. Can get they forget about what happened in Philly and bring home a clean slate like the Broncos did after getting whooped by the Seahawks, or are they going to be suffering from whoopass syndrome like the 2015 Colts did after getting annihilated by the Patriots in the AFCCG or the 2016 Panthers getting KO'd in the SB the previous season? The pressure is going to be cooking on them and expectations to exceed the 13-3 record plus having a target on their back is going to make 2018 a telling one for them.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than QB, at what positions do the Packers have equal or better talent than the Vikings? Capt. has already shown that their WR and TE corps is better. IMO the Vikings are not going away and the Packers have some catching up to do.
Seems like having Rodgers and the accompanying success has caused some complacency. That and having to throw away so many valuable on draft picks to shore up the defense, which never really worked anyway.

D

Deleted member 6794

As to the defense, no question this was the biggest area the Vikes had the edge on us and practically everyone else except Philly, but here's another thing to consider. How much carryover year to year at a high level do you usually see an elite defense playing at? I'd say not that much mostly because unlike elite QBing where you only need one guy to be consistent, you got 11 men who you not only have to make adjustments with year to year, you also got 11 contracts to manage, hope that all 11 stay healthy and that you can keep depth behind them which is no given, and a lot of other things.

It's definitely possible to sustain long-term success on the defensive side of the ball as well. The Seahawks leading the league in points allowed every single season from 2012-15 should work as evidence for it.

In addition the Vikings defense isn't a fluke by any means having finished sixth and fifth in points allowed the previous two seasons as well.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look for Detroit to bounce back, and for the Bears to be improved as Trubisky progresses. It's tougher to gage the other two teams: Green Bay still has the best QB in the league, but the team is in a state of flux with organizational and coaching staff changes. The Vikings enjoyed a magic carpet ride until the debacle in Philly, and will return a stellar defense, but QB is a question mark. Still, I'm optimistic that with a good off-season Green Bay will return to the top of the fold.......QB is still the most important position in football, and the Pack has a definite edge there.

D

Deleted member 6794

I look for Detroit to bounce back, and for the Bears to be improved as Trubisky progresses. It's tougher to gage the other two teams: Green Bay still has the best QB in the league, but the team is in a state of flux with organizational and coaching staff changes. The Vikings enjoyed a magic carpet ride until the debacle in Philly, and will return a stellar defense, but QB is a question mark. Still, I'm optimistic that with a good off-season Green Bay will return to the top of the fold.......QB is still the most important position in football, and the Pack has a definite edge there.

I fully expect the Packers to win the division in 2018 as long as Rodgers stays healthy. Gutekunst adequately addressing several positions of need this offseason will decide if the team is capable of contending for a Super Bowl.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You might have to clarify a little more on what you mean by Detroit bouncing back. The last two seasons they finished with the same record of 9-7, just that one ended up in the playoffs while the other didn't. They haven't really dropped, just stayed stagnant which is why I think they were looking to move on from Caldwell.

Chicago ... well that's an unknown. Trubisky is going to have to learn a new playbook and we'll see whether it's a help or a detriment to him, and whether or not the Bears can give him quality enough pass blockers and weapons to throw to.

I just can't really call Detroit and Chicago on the move up yet because they have two inexperienced and unproven head coaches. Certainly both Patricia and Nagy could be geniuses at their craft and a breath of fresh air from the men of yesterday in Caldwell and Fox, but they also both worked for Bellichik and Reed, and some of Bellichik's former assistants turned HCs like Weiss and McDaniels haven't done so good outside his incubator.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
They won’t pay Keenum $23 million he’s a journeyman QB who over achieved in a team that made him look good
Yeah, okay. You do realize the last 5 weeks he out played Brady, Bortles, Goff, Roethlisberger and Brees? But yeah, he overachieved.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Not to take away any success from the Vikings, because their defense is top notch... I just genuinely do not think it was a coincidence that the Vikings came out of the woodworks the first year the Packers did not make playoffs. I think we would have won that game in Minnesota if Rodgers did not get hurt, and of course I think we win in Green Bay with a real QB playing. I think we will have some tight games with Minnesota next year, but assuming Rodgers comes back healthy, I think they will be back to fighting for a wildcard spot.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I say ********............God, we like throwing people under the bus around here. God help the next QB we ever play as our new guy.

Us fans just tell it like it is. The good QBs prove the naysayers wrong and don't fold under pressure. Hundley does the exact opposite, and I can say for a fact that Mike Holmgren woulda tossed him off the team after the Baltimore game.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to take away any success from the Vikings, because their defense is top notch... I just genuinely do not think it was a coincidence that the Vikings came out of the woodworks the first year the Packers did not make playoffs.
I do think they gained a lot of confidence once Rodgers got knocked out. And the fact that Rodgers was knocked out at their hands was probably even better (for them).

Members online

Latest posts