Minicamp: Who went up and who went down?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a way of summarizing the minicamps, I thought it might be best to look at them in terms of which players rose in status and which ones fell. All I know are the most obvious ones, so this is just a start. And I do realize that this is just minicamp, and the real stuff happens when they put the pads on in July:

Ahmad Carroll: Down. Way down. Still grabbing receivers' jerseys. Got chewed out by Bates and Sherman and was publicly referred to as an (expletive) by his own teammate Mike Flanagan.

Joey Thomas: Up, but mostly by default, because of Carroll's decline. Bates likes him.

Arturo Freeman: Now looking like a pretty good bet to start. Knows Bates' defense and could carry over the momentum from the end of last season with the Dolphins.

Mark Roman: I was hoping that this underachiever from last season would get a new lease on life this year. If it's happened, I haven't heard about it. He seems like just another guy in the mix, trying to beat out rookies and journeymen for a roster spot.

Cletidus Hunt: Down. Almost out of sight. Not content with merely being an underachiever, he seems intent on becoming an object of ridicule. It's time to replace him.

Terence Murphy: Up. I like this guy. So does everybody, it seems.

Javon Walker: Down. It would be good to have him back, but the offense should be fine without him. I think he'll come back anyway.

Aaron Rodgers: Up slightly. Of course he's confused by the playbook, but he seems to have a good attitude.

Craig Nall: Down slightly. From what I hear, he did not clearly outperform Rodgers (correct me if I'm wrong), and he will not get the benefit of the doubt against a first round draft pick. With Favre gone, this was Nall's chance to take command of the offense, and he did not do that.

J.T. O' Sullivan: Down. Was not a disaster, but is looking like the odd man out.

Grey Ruegamer: Up. The front office and coaching staff seems intent on replacing him, but he just won't go away.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed with everything except for the Nall comment. from what i've gathered he's headed for the number 2 spot.

and call me crazy, but i have this feeling that Carroll will be starting in September, despite the awful minicamp press he's getting. just a hunch i've got really.

we'll see though.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers could try and trade whichever backup QB can get them the most in return in a trade, if either is worth anything in a trade. Below is what Packer beat writer Dylan Tomlinson said in his Packer chat today regarding the backup QBs. Dylan stated:

"Well, I wouldn't read too much into Nall being the No. 2 quarterback. He's hardly a lock to be on the roster. Nall knows the offense better than O'Sullivan, but from talking to scouts around the league, they like O'Sullivan better than Nall. It wouldn't surprise me to see if the Packers can trade Nall or O'Sullivan and keep the other...."

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be nice if we could get something for one of the QBs. arrow, I hope you are right about Carroll, he is a talent that we've invested a #1 for. I'm afraid he won't turn it around because he seems to ignorant with a bad attitude, not allowing him to see his own problem. For the Pack's sake I hope you are right and I'm wrong.

Pretty much agree everything Greg but I read one article which gave some hope for Roman. It said something to the effect "he is looking more like the defensive back they thought he could be".

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My hope is the trade would involve a TE or back up CB. We seem set everywhere else. Those who say the DL is bad have not seen the developement of the young guys. I hope Popinga works into replacing Kampmann on obvious passing downs instead of Tru-luck and Jenkins starting instead of Hunt.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez,

I like your analysis of the D-Line too. I still maintain that Jenkins, Washington, Lee, etc. will step up and give some needed depth and production that Hunt just doesn't do but should be. I hope those that want to knock the D-Line now will have a nice time eating a "Crow" Sandwich during the next season when they step up the pass rush and run-stopping play!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts