OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MINICAMP SUMMARY

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/sports/index.php?ntid=135393

Packers: Minicamp puts team in prime position

After a week of drama surrounding quarterback Brett Favre, an offseason of inaction in the free agent market and a draft that was widely panned by so-called experts and fans, the Green Bay Packers got exactly what they needed during their full-squad mandatory minicamp, which ended Sunday. Actual football. While the four practices inside the Don Hutson Center were hardly a predictor of how they'll fare in coach Mike McCarthy's second year, the three-day camp did provide a jumping-off point for the 2007 season, as the coaches reviewed the ups and downs of last year's 8-8 finish, took those lessons to the practice field and installed the first two of the nine-part offensive and defensive playbooks.

And although it did mark the only time the full squad will be together until training camp opens in late July, McCarthy cautioned no lasting decisions were to be made from what went on. "No jobs were won or lost this weekend. Opportunity is abundant throughout our football team, and that'll all be answered in time," McCarthy said Sunday afternoon, following the final practice. "These sessions are very important - if they weren't, we wouldn't have them - but we're in the learning phase, we're in the phase where we're just trying to put things together. What really counts is when we put the pads on in training camp."

Here's a position-by-position look at the Packers coming out of their only mandatory offseason session and heading into their voluntary organized team activity practices, which kick off May 31:

Quarterback. Favre and backup Aaron Rodgers were held out of 11-on-11 sessions throughout the camp, giving third-stringer Ingle Martin most of the snaps in team periods. While Martin was inconsistent, he did have some encouraging moments, and undrafted rookie free agents Jerry Babb and Paul Thompson will have to come a long, long way during the OTAs to challenge Martin for the No. 3 job in training camp. McCarthy said Favre will take part in nine of the 12 OTA practices, while Rodgers said he should be cleared for team drills after the first week of OTAs. Rodgers said the OTAs and training camp are another opportunity for him to show his younger teammates he is capable of taking over when Favre walks away. "Brett's looking good. He's going to be in great shape by the time the season rolls around," Rodgers said. "I've always had confidence in myself, and I think this team is starting to have confidence in me. It's just a matter of being consistent - every day, every practice - and showing these guys that we're going to be in good hands if I get to be the starter."

Running back. Perhaps the most important competition on the roster following the free agent departure of starter Ahman Green, the halfback job is clearly Vernand Morency's to lose, if only because three of the top competitors - draft picks Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn, and 2006 training camp surprise Arliss Beach - weren't involved. Jackson missed the camp because of a scheduling conflict with an NFL sponsorship event, while Wynn suffered a calf strain during the rookie orientation camp May 4 to 6 and Beach, who missed all of last season with a right ankle injury, was out with turf toe in his left foot. Morency worked with the No. 1 offense ahead of Noah Herron and P.J. Pope, but Morency's challenge during camp will be to prove he can be a workhorse back. If he can't carry the load, McCarthy has said he'll take the halfback-by-committee approach. Herron still looks like the best third-down back. "I don't know enough about 'Mo' to sit here and tell you he can't carry the ball 20 times a game," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "In the NFL, there's quite a few examples of two running backs getting a good bit of time of sharing the ball. We'll just have to see how it plays out."

At fullback, Brandon Miree worked with the No. 1s following the offseason release of veteran William Henderson, while rookies Corey White, Ryan Powdrell and Korey Hall were behind Miree. White also took snaps at halfback.

Wide receiver. For as much talk there was this offseason about the receiver the Packers don't have - now-New England Patriot Randy Moss - there'll be plenty of competition at the position come training camp. While two-time Pro Bowl receiver Donald Driver and a now-healthy Greg Jennings will be the starters, the battle for the three or four roster spots behind them figures to be fierce. Holdovers Ruvell Martin, Chris Francies, Calvin Russell and Carlyle Holiday will compete with Robert Ferguson and Shaun Bodiford, both of whom are coming off season-ending injuries, as well as rookie draft picks James Jones (third round) and David Clowney (fifth round). "There's a lot of talent at every (receiver) position," Rodgers said. "I think we've got the weapons we need. I think we're going to be pretty formidable on offense." Jennings, who caught 21 passes for 378 yards and three TDs in the first six games as a rookie but 24 passes for 254 yards and no TDs the rest of the year, clearly has regained his burst. "Man, I do feel good. I feel like I'm back," Jennings said. "I'm not concerned with the ankle, I'm not thinking about anything, I'm just out there being the old me. That definitely feels good."

Tight end. The position is wide open, as former starter Bubba Franks must re-earn his spot after a horrendous 2006 season. Donald Lee, who caught 10 passes for 150 yards last year, worked ahead of Franks with the first team throughout the camp. Behind them, holdovers Tory Humphrey and Zac Alcorn will compete with rookie seventh-round pick Clark Harris for the No. 3 job, although if the team deems Franks expendable by the end of training camp, one of these three would have to take on a major role. Alcorn missed the last two days with a bruised knee. "We are adjusting some things as we move forward with the tight end position, and I think we have excellent competition," McCarthy said. "But Bubba Franks is a veteran football player, and we're expecting him to contribute to our football team."

Offensive line. Starting right guard Jason Spitz strained his back early in the first practice so Junius Coston filled in with the front five, lining up with left tackle Chad Clifton, left guard Daryn Colledge, center Scott Wells and right tackle Mark Tauscher. McCarthy said the coaches want their young linemen to settle into one position, which is why Tony Moll worked as the No. 2 right tackle behind Tauscher rather than moving into right guard, where he started five games last year. Kevin Barry, who suffered a ruptured quadriceps tendon almost exactly a year ago in minicamp, was withheld from the camp but said he hopes to take part in the OTAs. Barry said the coaches plan to work him at right guard and right tackle. Rookie fourth-round pick Allen Barbre, who played left tackle in college, spent the camp at left guard behind Colledge. When Clifton missed the Saturday morning practice, Josh Bourke and Orrin Thompson filled in. "When we first got together in February (2006), there was a lot of holes on that depth chart. There was nobody there," McCarthy said of the line. "I think we have a very, very bright future starting this year with the offensive line."

Defensive line. Defensive tackle Corey Williams admitted Sunday he was more than a little surprised when the team took fellow DT Justin Harrell with the 16th overall pick in last month's draft. But Williams, who started 11 games at that spot last year alongside Ryan Pickett and had a career-high seven sacks, remains an ascending player and worked with the No. 1 unit for most of camp. Harrell was held out of all 11-on-11 work while he is in the final stages of rehabbing the ruptured biceps tendon that cut short his senior year at Tennessee. Harrell said he thought he was going to be "full go" but he was limited to drill work and hitting the tackling bags. "They drafted me No. 1, and I want to come in here and prove myself to the guys. And you can't do that when you're not participating all the way," Harrell said. "I'm just following doctor's orders. When they release me, I'm going to go out and try my best." Pro Bowl defensive end Aaron Kampman probably won't practice until training camp after an April knee scope, while demoted end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila suffered a bruised thigh Friday and sat out the rest of the camp. Johnny Jolly, a 2006 sixth-round pick in the mix inside, missed Sunday's practice because of what McCarthy termed a "personal emergency."

Linebackers. While the team has plenty of question marks, this isn't one of them. The starting ********* of Nick Barnett, A.J. Hawk and Brady Poppinga is the most solidified of any position on the roster, with the only competition as of now being for backup spots. "I think A.J. Hawk is a prime-time player in the National Football League. I think that'll be proven as he moves forward," McCarthy said after Hawk picked off a Favre pass down the middle during 7-on-7 Sunday. "You can see his comfort in our scheme. I think Nick Barnett is a frontline player, too, and Brady Poppinga may be the most improved of the whole (defensive) group. "That group has a lot of competition in the backup area, but those first three I've been very impressed with."

Defensive backs. With starting cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson missing the final two practices - Harris after feeling back tightness Saturday morning; Woodson after being excused by McCarthy to attend a Saturday night "event" - Patrick Dendy and Will Blackmon worked with the first team. Blackmon is coming off a rookie season derailed by foot and rib injuries but figures to be prominent in the battle for the nickel and dime cornerback spots, along with Dendy, Jarrett Bush, Tramon Williams and Frank Walker, the team's only free agent signing. "I am very happy with the progress Bush has made, (as well as) Blackmon. And Patrick Dendy has had an excellent weekend," McCarthy said. "There's lot of competition."At safety, veteran Marquand Manuel remains a starter despite a disappointing first season in Green Bay. Asked to assess his play last season and whether he expects to keep his starting job, Manuel repeatedly replied, "Ask the coaches, man. Ask the coaches."

Special teams. Kicker Dave Rayner and punter Jon Ryan expected the team to bring in competition, and they got it - Rayner in sixth-round pick Mason Crosby, and Ryan in free agent David Lonie.The return game is wide open as Morency (kickoffs) and Woodson (punts) could be replaced by non-starters such as Bodiford, Blackmon, Jones and others."It's competition," special teams coordinator Mike Stock said. "I don't ever say it's anybody's job to lose. They'll compete."

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Re: MINICAMP SUMMARY

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/sports/index.php?ntid=135393

Packers: Minicamp puts team in prime position

After a week of drama surrounding quarterback Brett Favre, an offseason of inaction in the free agent market and a draft that was widely panned by so-called experts and fans, the Green Bay Packers got exactly what they needed during their full-squad mandatory minicamp, which ended Sunday. Actual football. While the four practices inside the Don Hutson Center were hardly a predictor of how they'll fare in coach Mike McCarthy's second year, the three-day camp did provide a jumping-off point for the 2007 season, as the coaches reviewed the ups and downs of last year's 8-8 finish, took those lessons to the practice field and installed the first two of the nine-part offensive and defensive playbooks.

And although it did mark the only time the full squad will be together until training camp opens in late July, McCarthy cautioned no lasting decisions were to be made from what went on. "No jobs were won or lost this weekend. Opportunity is abundant throughout our football team, and that'll all be answered in time," McCarthy said Sunday afternoon, following the final practice. "These sessions are very important - if they weren't, we wouldn't have them - but we're in the learning phase, we're in the phase where we're just trying to put things together. What really counts is when we put the pads on in training camp."

Here's a position-by-position look at the Packers coming out of their only mandatory offseason session and heading into their voluntary organized team activity practices, which kick off May 31:

Quarterback.
Favre and backup Aaron Rodgerswere held out of 11-on-11 sessions throughout the camp, giving third-stringer Ingle Martin most of the snaps in team periods. While Martin was inconsistent, he did have some encouraging moments, and undrafted rookie free agents Jerry Babb and Paul Thompson will have to come a long, long way during the OTAs to challenge Martin for the No. 3 job in training camp. McCarthy said Favre will take part in nine of the 12 OTA practices, while Rodgers said he should be cleared for team drills after the first week of OTAs. Rodgers said the OTAs and training camp are another opportunity for him to show his younger teammates he is capable of taking over when Favre walks away. "Brett's looking good. He's going to be in great shape by the time the season rolls around," Rodgers said. "I've always had confidence in myself, and I think this team is starting to have confidence in me. It's just a matter of being consistent - every day, every practice - and showing these guys that we're going to be in good hands if I get to be the starter."

Running back.
Perhaps the most important competition on the roster following the free agent departure of starter Ahman Green, the halfback job is clearly Vernand Morency's to lose, if only because three of the top competitors - draft picks Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn, and 2006 training camp surprise Arliss Beach - weren't involved. Jackson missed the camp because of a scheduling conflict with an NFL sponsorship event, while Wynn suffered a calf strain during the rookie orientation camp May 4 to 6 and Beach, who missed all of last season with a right ankle injury, was out with turf toe in his left foot. Morency worked with the No. 1 offense ahead of Noah Herron and P.J. Pope, but Morency's challenge during camp will be to prove he can be a workhorse back. If he can't carry the load, McCarthy has said he'll take the halfback-by-committee approach. Herron still looks like the best third-down back. "I don't know enough about 'Mo' to sit here and tell you he can't carry the ball 20 times a game," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "In the NFL, there's quite a few examples of two running backs getting a good bit of time of sharing the ball. We'll just have to see how it plays out."

At fullback,
Brandon Miree worked with the No. 1s following the offseason release of veteran William Henderson, while rookies Corey White, Ryan Powdrell and Korey Hall were behind Miree. White also took snaps at halfback.

Wide receiver.
For as much talk there was this offseason about the receiver the Packers don't have - now-New England Patriot Randy Moss - there'll be plenty of competition at the position come training camp. While two-time Pro Bowl receiver Donald Driver and a now-healthy Greg Jennings will be the starters, the battle for the three or four roster spots behind them figures to be fierce. Holdovers Ruvell Martin, Chris Francies, Calvin Russell and Carlyle Holiday will compete with Robert Ferguson and Shaun Bodiford, both of whom are coming off season-ending injuries, as well as rookie draft picks James Jones (third round) and David Clowney (fifth round). "There's a lot of talent at every (receiver) position," Rodgers said. "I think we've got the weapons we need. I think we're going to be pretty formidable on offense." Jennings, who caught 21 passes for 378 yards and three TDs in the first six games as a rookie but 24 passes for 254 yards and no TDs the rest of the year, clearly has regained his burst. "Man, I do feel good. I feel like I'm back," Jennings said. "I'm not concerned with the ankle, I'm not thinking about anything, I'm just out there being the old me. That definitely feels good." •

Tight end. The position is wide open, as former starter Bubba Franks must re-earn his spot after a horrendous 2006 season.
Donald Lee, who caught 10 passes for 150 yards last year, worked ahead of Franks with the first team throughout the camp. Behind them, holdovers Tory Humphrey and Zac Alcorn will compete with rookie seventh-round pick Clark Harris for the No. 3 job, although if the team deems Franks expendable by the end of training camp, one of these three would have to take on a major role. Alcorn missed the last two days with a bruised knee. "We are adjusting some things as we move forward with the tight end position, and I think we have excellent competition," McCarthy said. "But Bubba Franks is a veteran football player, and we're expecting him to contribute to our football team."

Offensive line.
Starting right guard Jason Spitz strained his back early in the first practice so Junius Coston filled in with the front five, lining up with left tackle Chad Clifton, left guard Daryn Colledge, center Scott Wells and right tackle Mark Tauscher. McCarthy said the coaches want their young linemen to settle into one position, which is why Tony Moll worked as the No. 2 right tackle behind Tauscher rather than moving into right guard, where he started five games last year. Kevin Barry, who suffered a ruptured quadriceps tendon almost exactly a year ago in minicamp, was withheld from the camp but said he hopes to take part in the OTAs. Barry said the coaches plan to work him at right guard and right tackle. Rookie fourth-round pick Allen Barbre, who played left tackle in college, spent the camp at left guard behind Colledge. When Clifton missed the Saturday morning practice, Josh Bourke and Orrin Thompson filled in. "When we first got together in February (2006), there was a lot of holes on that depth chart. There was nobody there," McCarthy said of the line. "I think we have a very, very bright future starting this year with the offensive line."

Defensive line.
Defensive tackle Corey Williams admitted Sunday he was more than a little surprised when the team took fellow DT Justin Harrell with the 16th overall pick in last month's draft. But Williams, who started 11 games at that spot last year alongside Ryan Pickett and had a career-high seven sacks, remains an ascending player and worked with the No. 1 unit for most of camp. Harrell was held out of all 11-on-11 work while he is in the final stages of rehabbing the ruptured biceps tendon that cut short his senior year at Tennessee. Harrell said he thought he was going to be "full go" but he was limited to drill work and hitting the tackling bags. "They drafted me No. 1, and I want to come in here and prove myself to the guys. And you can't do that when you're not participating all the way," Harrell said. "I'm just following doctor's orders. When they release me, I'm going to go out and try my best." Pro Bowl defensive end Aaron Kampman probably won't practice until training camp after an April knee scope, while demoted end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila suffered a bruised thigh Friday and sat out the rest of the camp. Johnny Jolly, a 2006 sixth-round pick in the mix inside, missed Sunday's practice because of what McCarthy termed a "personal emergency."

Linebackers.
While the team has plenty of question marks, this isn't one of them. The starting ********* of Nick Barnett, A.J. Hawk and Brady Poppinga is the most solidified of any position on the roster, with the only competition as of now being for backup spots. "I think A.J. Hawk is a prime-time player in the National Football League. I think that'll be proven as he moves forward," McCarthy said after Hawk picked off a Favre pass down the middle during 7-on-7 Sunday. "You can see his comfort in our scheme. I think Nick Barnett is a frontline player, too, and Brady Poppinga may be the most improved of the whole (defensive) group. "That group has a lot of competition in the backup area, but those first three I've been very impressed with."

Defensive backs.
With starting cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson missing the final two practices - Harris after feeling back tightness Saturday morning; Woodson after being excused by McCarthy to attend a Saturday night "event" - Patrick Dendy and Will Blackmon worked with the first team. Blackmon is coming off a rookie season derailed by foot and rib injuries but figures to be prominent in the battle for the nickel and dime cornerback spots, along with Dendy, Jarrett Bush, Tramon Williams and Frank Walker, the team's only free agent signing. "I am very happy with the progress Bush has made, (as well as) Blackmon. And Patrick Dendy has had an excellent weekend," McCarthy said. "There's lot of competition."At safety, veteran Marquand Manuel remains a starter despite a disappointing first season in Green Bay. Asked to assess his play last season and whether he expects to keep his starting job, Manuel repeatedly replied, "Ask the coaches, man. Ask the coaches."

Special teams.
Kicker Dave Rayner and punter Jon Ryan expected the team to bring in competition, and they got it - Rayner in sixth-round pick Mason Crosby, and Ryan in free agent David Lonie.The return game is wide open as Morency (kickoffs) and Woodson (punts) could be replaced by non-starters such as Bodiford, Blackmon, Jones and others."It's competition," special teams coordinator Mike Stock said. "I don't ever say it's anybody's job to lose. They'll compete."

Everyone needs a little help from 'the kid' now and then

Good stuff!!

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
From Barton Fink, if my memory serves me well.
"Barton Fink"......is that a movie?

Barton Fink is a movie, but this is from The Big Lebowski. One of the greatest comedies of all time. Seriously, if you haven't seen, buy it right now.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
I must have missed the positive piece on Hall. I am high on him and the way he plays. IMO, both Fergy and Bubba have out-lived their usefulness. By far. A lot of our new guys are going to be exciting this year. Rouse is another that will be a pleasant addition. I still want Corey Williams extended soon.

I agree about Bubba and Fergy, but do we really need to cut them? Cap space is ridiculous right now, and neither of them have any type of attitude issues. As far as I've seen, they're both good locker room guys, both have alot of NFL experience that should be valuable to the young guys, (who are probably more talented, lol) and I think that it makes a statement to other players about management's honoring of a contract.

I agree. I don't understand the wanton dislike for Fergy. People like him on the team, and he does his job on special teams. I wouldn't cut him but if we can get something for him, that's different. I happen to like the guy and have been rooting for him to live up to his potential.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel the same way Zombie. I'd love to see Fergy come back strong. I have nothing bad to say against him. He has always tried hard and been willing to do the special teams thing (which is attitude more than anything else), and he survived one of the ugliest looking hits I've ever seen. I don't blame him for getting antsy over the middle... I just hope he can recover and be the fighter he was.