MINICAMP WATCH

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gone Campin' Some more observations from first minicamp practice:

-- Bubba Franks rotated in with the first-team offense during later 11-on-11 portions of practice today. Donald Lee, however, got the first rep in each series.
-- With Justin Harrell (arm) sitting out, Corey Williams got the lion's share of action alongside Ryan Pickett with the first-team defense. Colin Cole also rotated in. The absence of Aaron Kampman (knee) gave Michael Montgomery extended action at left end.
-- Quarterback Aaron Rodgers (broken foot) sat out all team drills, but he looked confident throwing the football -- and moving in the pocket -- during other portions of practice. The most memorable throw was a spiraling strike to Carlyle Holiday that traveled 55 yards in the air. Rodgers rolled to his left on the play and did not appear to have any hesitation or difficulty setting his feet.
-- Not as impressive: third-string quarterback Ingle Martin, who could not have looked more uncomfortable running the starting offense while Rodgers and Brett Favre sat out the 11-on-11 periods. At various points, Martin hit Donald Driver in the back with a pass; was intercepted by Nick Collins on a pass off James Jones' fingertips; hummed another pick directly into the chest of Brady Poppinga, who returned it into the end zone; airmailed P.J. Pope on a simple route out of the backfield; and rolled directly into a blitzing Nick Barnett.
-- Favre threw an interception of his own during a 7-on-7 passing drill, underthrowing Donald Driver badly enough that Charles Woodson camped under the ball for a second or so before grabbing it.
-- Fullback Corey White could be the undrafted rookie to watch. After two catches, the UAB alumnus showed an impressive burst for a guy who stands 6-foot-1 and 239 pounds. And with only Brandon Miree seemingly certain to be in the rotation, White might carve out a niche in the coming months.
-- Perhaps in an attack on his "fake tough" image, tight end Clark Harris has shaved his head and face. The seventh-round draft pick also did some long snapping during a brief special teams period.
-- Allen Barbre is an offensive lineman, but that didn't stop Favre from razzing the rookie after drawing him offsides during an offensive drill. Barbre saw the majority of his action at left guard, the same spot the college tackle played for much of the rookie minicamp.
-- The No. 30 jersey looks strange when it's inhabited by Arliss Beach.
-- Robert Ferguson (foot) switched jerseys, from No. 89 to No. 87, but was in a familiar place: watching much of practice by himself from an end zone.
-- Jason Spitz grimaced as he tried to run after tweaking his back early in practice. It seems unlikely the coaching staff will let him do anything else this weekend if he feels any discomfort Saturday morning.
-- P.J. Pope fumbled in a crowd during one of the 11-on-11 periods.
-- Patrick Dendy got his first interception of camp on a bad-idea floater from recent pickup Paul Thompson.
-- Five players caught balls during a punt drill: Woodson, Will Blackmon, Shaun Bodiford, Greg Jennings and Jones.
-- The accidental hit of the day came courest of safeties Marquand Manuel and Nick Collins, who sandwiched tight end Zac Alcorn on a seam route.
-- Quarterback Jerry Babb drew cheers from his teammates by juking end Jason Hunter out of his shoes after scrambling toward the right sideline.
-- Running back Brandon Jackson wasn't the only rookie draft pick missing from practice. Linebacker Desmond Bishop was absent because California is on the quarter system. McCarthy said Bishop should practice Saturday.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First-round pick Harrell at practice but skips 11-on-11 drills:

The Packers continued to be careful with defensive tackle Justin Harrell at the team's first minicamp practice Friday. The first-round draft pick was at practice but did not participate in any 11-on-11 contact drills. The same goes for quarterbacks Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, who Coach Mike McCarthy said are both in the final stages of their injury rehabilitation. McCarthy said guard Jason Spitz left practice after tweaking his back and defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila left after taking a shot to his thigh. McCarthy also said wide receiver Robert Ferguson should be ready for the team's organized team activities, while defensive end Aaron Kampman probably will not participate until training camp. Ferguson has a mid-foot injury, while Kampman underwent arthroscopic surgery on his knee this offseason.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TE Franks works with second team

Quarterbacks Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers sat out the first 11-on-11 team period Friday.

Other notes:
-- Guard Jason Spitz was replaced by Junius Coston.
-- TE Bubba Franks worked with the second-team offense, while TE Donald Lee worked with the firstteam.
Players not participating listed The following players are not practicing at Friday afternoon's minicamp session:

S Marviel Underwood
RB Arliss Beach
RB Brandon Jackson
RB DeShawn Wynn
LB Marcus Randall
LB Abdul Hodge
LB Desmond Bishop
G Tony Palmer
T Kevin Barry
G Jason Spitz
DE Aaron Kampman
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Favre, Rodgers participate in walk-through
Quarterbacks Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers participated in the walk-through portion of practice Friday at the Don Hutson Center. Neither player showed any noticeable limp, though players were moving at half speed at best. A number of players were not participating, including linebacker Abdul Hodge and defensive end Aaron Kampman. Guard Jason Spitz left practice early and trainers appeared to be working on one of his legs. General Manager Ted Thompson, who Favre criticized last weekend, was on the field.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070518/PKR01/705180618/1989

Favre fallout won't be an issue at minicamp, McCarthy says

This weekend's minicamp is the first time the Green Bay Packers will see their rookie class with the returning players from last year. It also will be the first time the team has convened since quarterback Brett Favre criticized the club's front office for failing to land receiver Randy Moss in a trade three weeks ago. The failed trade deeply disappointed Favre and apparently caused a fissure between him and General Manager Ted Thompson. Favre also said he probably would skip this mandatory minicamp, though he decided to show up.
The recent conflict could pose a problem for the chemistry of a team that finished last season with a four-game winning streak and has drawn attention away from what coach Mike McCarthy on Thursday characterized as a successful offseason for players in his workout program. When McCarthy accepted the job as the Packers' coach 16 months ago, he said confrontation can be productive, and in an interview Thursday, he said he and Favre will discuss Favre's complaints about not adding Moss one more time this weekend. He also said the two have been in regular contact, and Favre's profound frustration will not cause a problem between the two or for the team.
"He's the leader of the football team; he's the quarterback of this football team," McCarthy said. "Whatever those issues, he'll be back here and we'll improve as a football team. I don't see that as an issue." Favre's criticism of the organization for not landing immediate help at playmaking positions on offense also could be interpreted as criticism of the skill-position players on the roster. That could divide the locker room. "I'm in touch with the pulse of the football team. I think it's one of my primary responsibilities as the head coach," McCarthy said. "I don't have a problem in the locker room, I can tell you that. (Favre) has always been a good teammate, and he'll continue to be a good teammate. He'll be here, and we'll move accordingly."
McCarthy is looking at this minicamp as the first step toward putting together the 2007 team after most players participated in an offseason workout program that began March 19. McCarthy would not say how many players took part in most or all of the program, but said it exceeded last year, which saw the most attend in franchise history, according to McCarthy. The offseason program consists of two parts: An intensive weight lifting and training program, and player instruction on and off the field with assistant coaches. Coaches are allowed to work on the field four days a week with small groups of players, teaching schemes and individual techniques. McCarthy cited offensive linemen Daryn Colledge and Tony Moll, and receiver Calvin Russell among the players who made substantial physical gains. "Almost to a man, you can see improvement in the individuals," McCarthy said. "The shape that we're in for this time of year is excellent. We can see guys that have made improvements."
This minicamp will be the first time all players will be involved in drills that include 11-on-11 work. McCarthy said he wants shorter, but higher quality, practices in training camp so the players aren't beaten up for the start of the season. To do that, they'll have to be better prepared physically and in the team's schemes from practices this offseason. Besides this three-day minicamp, the Packers have 12 days of organized team activities, which is another name for non-padded practices, in late May and June. Favre and other veterans are scheduled to attend nine of those workouts.
"To me, this is the beginning of the preparation for training camp," McCarthy said, "because when we walk out of here at the end of June, our offense, defense and special teams will be 100 percent installed. It's in, and now we come to training camp, it's time to put the pads on, get it executed and get the continuity and the intensity to the level of the season." This minicamp also will be the Packers' first look at their 2007 draft class working against established NFL players. Two weeks ago the Packers had a rookie-orientation camp to better prepare them for this weekend. It's something the Packers haven't done before, though several other teams did this offseason.
"It's always been in the rule book that you could have (the rookie camps)," Thompson said. "It's just that most everybody has always tried to have that first minicamp with the veterans. I kind of liked the way it was this year. It does help, because these (rookies) come in and have their eyes wide open. They're still going to be wide open this weekend, but at least they have a little bit of a feel for what's going on."

Reaction score
Ferrgie is ALREADY INJURED?

I've been one to support him the entire off-season, saying he'd come through... but this is f'n silly.

And interesting note on Barbre at LG, I'd have thought he would be drafted as a LT.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Ferrgie is ALREADY INJURED?

I've been one to support him the entire off-season, saying he'd come through... but this is f'n silly.

And interesting note on Barbre at LG, I'd have thought he would be drafted as a LT.
Well.......the the new and hungry young guys coming up, he better "uninjure" himself if he wants a spot on the team this year. I don't think they will have alot of patience with him.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FAVRE'S PRESENCE

http://greenbaypressgazette.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070519/PKR07/705190511/1989

Mike Vandermause column: Packers really needed Favre to be present

He's been attending them for 17 years and finds them boring. All that standing around gets tedious. The meetings seem endless. And when you finally hit the field, it's hard to get enthused about a bunch of players running around in shorts inside the Don Hutson Center with the regular-season opener nearly four months away. But the Green Bay Packers' mandatory minicamp that opened Friday and continues through Sunday is different. In fact, no minicamp in Favre's long career has been as important as this one. Favre's presence in Green Bay absolutely is critical to the success and direction of the team following a tumultuous week.
The veteran quarterback lashed out at the organization a week ago for failing to trade for receiver Randy Moss and said it was hard to be optimistic about the offense. Then, he announced he wasn't planning to attend this minicamp. Favre would have sent a disastrous message to his teammates by not showing up. He would have come off looking self-centered and egotistical. Instead, he patched up his differences with the front office and did the right thing by coming to town and rallying around the team. "Ultimately, it comes down to me wanting to play and help this team win," he said. "That's the one thing I can control. By being here, that's what I'm doing."
Favre had every right to question General Manager Ted Thompson's failure to address some pressing needs on offense. No one wants to win more than Favre, and he expressed his frustration. But now he's moving forward, and it started with his presence in the locker room and on the practice field. "He's here, so that shows a lot," said second-year receiver Greg Jennings. "He's not giving up on us. He's not quitting on us." Jennings went so far as to call Favre a great leader. "He wouldn't be here if he didn't want to win," Jennings said. "Brett's going to be Brett, and I love him the way he is. Regardless of the comments he made, I still want him to be my quarterback."
If any player took offense to Favre's biting comments last weekend, it wasn't evident. There was no need to mend fences or massage any bruised feelings. Packers coach Mike McCarthy called it a "non-issue." If anything, Favre's words served notice that the time to win in Green Bay starts now. If any player can't accept that challenge, maybe he should find somewhere else to work.
"Brett's been here 17 years, what he says kind of goes," said second-year guard Daryn Colledge. "If he feels that's the way it is, then I think everybody in the locker room wants to pick it up and prove that they're the guys that can get the job done."
No one seemed happier than McCarthy about the conclusion to a rocky week. "It's important any time you have the leader, the quarterback of your football team here," he said. "I'm just glad the firestorm is over. (I'm) glad to put away the hose." Favre maintained his overriding desire is to see the Packers succeed on the field. "I don't think anyone can question my leadership and determination to win, and that hasn't changed," he said. Those attributes seriously would have been questioned, however, had Favre been a no-show this weekend

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JACKSON ISSUE

Fans, what the Lions did was to switch dates to adjust the team to Johnson etc. As a matter of perspective and policy, most teams could do that. Management could have moved the dates of this weekend's mandatory minicamp after it became clear that a conflict existed this weekend with the 2007 Rookie Premier Photo Shoot. FYI.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MINICAMP WATCH SATURDAY

http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Woodson absent
Veteran cornerback Charles Woodson was excused from today's afternoon practice for what a team spokesman called "personal reasons." It was unclear whether Woodson, who also plans to skip OTAs the next month, would be at the Packers' final minicamp practice Sunday morning. The Packers' other starting cornerback, Al Harris, also sat out this afternoon's workout but was on the sideline. Patrick Dendy and Will Blackmon worked with the first team. Chad Clifton, who sat out the morning practice, participated in all drills in the afternoon.
Quarterbacks
Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers were a combined 0-for-5 in their first time through the 7-on-7 passing drill, their only significant action of the morning. Rodgers, who also was picked by Patrick Dendy, settled down on his second try and completed the pass of the day so far, finding a streaking James Jones just beyond double coverage down the right sideline. Ingle Martin misfired on his first three passes -- including two simple tosses to Vernand Morency out of the backfield -- in the team and blitz periods. He was 4-for-4 in the last team period. Paul Thompson took some reps with the second unit ahead of Jerry Babb, who continues to look comfortable only when he's on the move. All told, here are the totals in the team, blitz and 7-on-7 periods:

-- Brett Favre 1-for-4
-- Aaron Rodgers 3-for-6
-- Jerry Babb 3-for-6
-- Ingle Martin 9-for-13
-- Paul Thompson 4-for-6

Also notable in those periods were: Will Blackmon handling most nickelback duties with the first team; Frank Walker and Dendy playing cornerback with the twos, with Rory Johnson, Tracy White and Spencer Havner at linebacker; and Travis Leffew briefly replacing Junius Coston at right guard with the first team after Coston false started during the second team period.

Odds and ends
Rookie receiver David Clowney was the only player stripped during a gauntlet-style ball security drill. Clowney, a fifth-round draft pick who ran the 40 in 4.29 seconds indoors at his campus workout, also is working as a gunner with the punt coverage unit.
With top draft pick Justin Harrell sitting out contact drills again, Corey Williams and Colin Cole split time with the first team roughly evenly.
Rookie running back DeShawn Wynn (calf), one of the Packers' two seventh-round draft picks, said he will be ready to participate when organized team activities resume May 31.
Saturday morning
Tight end Zac Alcorn sat out today's morning practice with a bruised right knee, the product of his collision with two teammates Friday afternoon. That meant increased reps for rookie Clark Harris and Tory Humphrey. Donald Lee once again took the majority of reps with the first team, with Bubba Franks occasionally rotating in but playing primarily with the twos. Guard Jason Spitz (back) and defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamilia (thigh bruise), both injured Friday, did not practice and likely are done for the weekend. Josh Bourke spent the majority of practice at left tackle in place of Chad Clifton, who sat out as a general precaution. Receiver Chris Francies watched most of practice with a wrap on his right hand. Rookie linebacker Desmond Bishop, who missed Friday's practice because Cal-Berkeley still is in session, participated and dropped an interception during a team drill.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
I am sure all of Top Hat's posts were a good read.

However... I just can not read long post with no paragraphs... It gives me a wicked head ache.

R.P.

Yeah I wouldn't know. He's a slapnuts and doesn't format his posts for users to easily read them. Even sometimes bolds the entire post. It sucks, cuz he posts a lot of articles that would be good to read and since its against the law at PF.com to post it twice, once he posts it, pf.com users are screwed

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a slapnuts and doesn't format his posts for users to easily read them. Even sometimes bolds the entire post. It sucks, cuz he posts a lot of articles that would be good to read and since its against the law at PF.com to post it twice, once he posts it, pf.com users are screwed

Thankfully the Urban Dictionary is available.
Quote:

"Slapnuts" - a person who does not know how to do anything at all.
the slapnut couldn't pour **** out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

"Slapnuts" - when you mess something up really bad, this is a word you say to exlaim great disbelief and dispair about a result

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

However... I just can not read long post with no paragraphs... It gives me a wicked head ache.

R.P.

Yeah I wouldn't know. He's a slapnuts and doesn't format his posts for users to easily read them. Even sometimes bolds the entire post. It sucks, cuz he posts a lot of articles that would be good to read and since its against the law at PF.com to post it twice, once he posts it, pf.com users are screwed

TOP HAT'S COMEBACK: OMG, "THE HATRED".

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

R.P.

TOP HAT is not a "Slap Nuts"

He seems to be an good and avid fan. I just wish I could read what many people post, on many web sites. I AM SERIOUS... I can not read posts without paragraphs or that is in all capitals.

TOP HAT seems to be a very good Packer Fan.

R.P.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Raider Pride said:

R.P.

TOP HAT is not a "Slap Nuts"

He seems to be an good and avid fan. I just wish I could read what many people post, on many web sites. I AM SERIOUS... I can not read posts without paragraphs or that is in all capitals.

TOP HAT seems to be a very good Packer Fan.

R.P.

Being a good packer fan does not mean the user can not be a slapnuts. you do not decide my opinion of the user, i do. perhaps if you paid attention to the exchanges we had you would understand my perception. seriously look at the way the users posts and the sig, my fans .....well .......wait i bet you are his fan and :cheerleader: ... :p

btw, collecting articles an copy/pasting them does not mean you are an avid fan

edit, can we get back to the topic, i apologize for detracting it here, my fault. i dont want to ruin the kids thread with this non sense

Members online

Latest posts