MiniCamp Report- Camp 1 Day 3

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Minicamp Report - Camp 1, Day 3
One of the first things that strikes you about left guard and second-round draft pick Daryn Colledge is his natural knee bend. That and his quick hands and feet. The Packers spent more time working on run blocking in their new zone scheme - two-man drills where they’d start with a double team before one of the lineman would release to the second level - than on pass protection and that’s where Colledge’s athletic ability was most apparent. When he got beat on pass protection, it was more a breakdown in technique. In making the transition from tackle to guard, Colledge said he was opening up too much, as a tackle normally would, rather than staying square to the line. Colledge weighs 308 pounds, but probably needs to get stronger before training camp. Coach Mike McCarthy agreed with that, but also said Colledge was the prototype for the Packers’ zone blocking scheme.

Simply because of the position he plays, wide receiver Greg Jennings jumped out as much as any draft pick. He’s fluid. He has some burst. He seems to have a natural feel for the game. And he seemed to catch everything that was thrown to him and always with his hands away from his body. There was a drill Sunday where four quarterbacks, spread across the field, were throwing passes to four or five receivers. On one, Jennings ran a deep pattern behind tight end Bubba Franks and spotted the wrong ball. He thought the pass to Franks was his and started coming back to it. But at the last moment, he realized his mistake, changed direction and effortlessly plucked the ball out of the air. His hands aren’t Terry Glenn quick, but they might be the closest thing to it since Glenn was with the Packers in 2002.

As one would expect of the fifth pick in the draft, linebacker A.J. Hawk practiced fast, although he appeared to take a bad angle on a running play in the final team drill Sunday. Not only was Hawk able to keep pace with the speed of the game, he was one of those setting the pace on defense. Also as expected based on all the scouting reports, he practiced with a passion that was evident from the sideline. But it’s hard to get a read on linebackers in non-contact work.

Among the non-drafted free agents who might have a chance are running back Arliss Beach and safety Tra Boger. At 5-foot-10 and 219 pounds, Beach is virtually the same size as Samkon Gado: Just seven pounds lighter. There’s also some resemblance in their running styles. Beach isn’t as explosive, but he showed good vision and cutting ability. The same as Gado, Beach never established himself as a starter in college. He was a part-time starter at Kentucky, but gained only 288 yards on 65 carries last season. Beach said he ran a 4.43 40-yard dash on the pro day at Kentucky. Boger is a 5-11, 210-pound safety from Tulane. His father, Jerome, is an NFL official. Boger showed good ball skills, particularly on an interception Saturday. It was on a deep ball thrown down the middle by rookie quarterback Ingle Martin and intended for free agent receiver Leo Bookman. The ball hung in the air, but Bogar also caught it at the top of his jump.

Veteran wide receiver Robert Ferguson looked healthier and seemed to be playing faster than he did all last season. "I feel great," said Ferguson. In fact, he said he recently ran the 40-yard dash in 4.38 and 4.39 seconds. He said last year he was banged up all season and probably was a tenth to two-tenths of a second slower. Ferguson spent the camp working with the first unit.

Cornerback and fourth-round draft pick Will Blackmon looked impressive in practice Sunday. In 7-on-7, he ran step-for-step on a deep sideline pass to rookie wide receiver Cory Rodgers. In the final team session, he maintained tight coverage on veteran Donald Driver on a deep ball.

It might just be that defensive lineman Donnell Washington is clueless. When asked three questions about his situation Sunday, including one about whether the coaches had given him an explanation for why he was being withheld from practice, Washington responded each time, "I don’t know."

Corey Williams, Colin Cole, Cullen Jenkins and Ryan Pickett rotated working with the first unit at defensive tackle throughout the weekend.

McCarthy said Brett Favre won’t attend the next minicamp, but would participate in 10 of the 14 organized team activities in June. ... McCarthy also said no decision had been made yet on whether rookie nose tackle Johnny Jolly needs surgery.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im getting pretty psyched on Jennings. There hasn't really been anything bad said about him. Hopefully he can be a rare impact rookie reciever.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
" Boger is a 5-11, 210-pound safety from Tulane. His father, Jerome, is an NFL official. "

And you're going to tell me TT isnt a genius?

I'm now officially rooting for Booger(thats right) for the safety. Forget Manuel, forget Roman...give me Booger!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
" Boger is a 5-11, 210-pound safety from Tulane. His father, Jerome, is an NFL official. "

hahaha lol that's great ... nice one

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might just be that defensive lineman Donnell Washington is clueless. When asked three questions about his situation Sunday, including one about whether the coaches had given him an explanation for why he was being withheld from practice, Washington responded each time, "I don’t know."
------------

sigh....just cut him, please.

and Blackmon sounds great, as does Jennings. MAN....This is lookin good.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Odds and ends: McCarthy praised receiver Greg Jennings, a second-round draft pick, for his route running and one specific play during a 7-on-7 drill.

“He had bump-and-run (coverage) and we refer to the technique as a speed route, where he has to adjust his route and drop his weight and cross the face of the (defensive back),â€

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing most rookie WRs have trouble with their first few years in the NFL is running routes properly. Jennings says he prides himself in his route running. I think he could be an impact player from the get-go.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
------------

sigh....just cut him, please.

and Blackmon sounds great, as does Jennings. MAN....This is lookin good.

He shouldn't be cut just yet, but he's definitely on the outside looking. I think we need to see how he responds to the position he put himself in for this minicamp. If he comes to the next in fair shape, showing he worked his @$$ off and is dedicated to getting better, then leave him in the mix. But if he doesn't make any progress after this, dump him.

We've got good depth at DT. It's going to be very difficult for Washington make the final roster and he's obviously not helping himself yet.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
I'm now officially rooting for Booger(thats right) for the safety. Forget Manuel, forget Roman...give me Booger!

Dudley Dawson... anyone watch Revenge of the Nerds? yes, i know i'm a loser. i know lots of useless **** about movies

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but on another note, anything new about spitz? i'm psyched on this guy. i think he'll be starting by mid-season, and i think he's gonna be great. he's got larry allen nastiness, and he just reminds me of Lenny from Of Mice and Men where he goes from goofy to rip-your-head-off mean in a split second. i think he could anchor our new line a center, maybe move wells to guard, i dunno.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
tromadz said:

Are you now saying that TT picks Boogers to influence referees? That's gross!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
DePack said:
Zero2Cool said:
tromadz said:

Are you now saying that TT picks Boogers to influence referees? That's gross!

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the day 3 update. Jennings is standing out early. Did Fergie really run a 4.38? Could be his last chance so he better push hard for a spot.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to believe Fergie's gotten a full tenth of a second faster since the combine, but honestly, that's the most encouraging news I've heard about Fergie in years. Maybe that's because now he's got Jennings chasing him.

Receivers are defined by three things - speed, hands and route-running. Jennings sounds like he's got all three. It'll be interesting to see how well he does with the pads on...

Donnell Washington... sheesh. I think he'll be cut by the end of the next camp. What a collossal waste (pun intended, if you like).

I keep hearing that Cooledge needs to get stronger, but yesterday I read how he set weight-room records in school:

When you start talking about the Boise State offensive line, there is only one name to start with, and one name only. That of course would be the all WAC, all everything, all STUD #73 Daryn Colledge. DC, as Bronco fans like to call him, has started all 38 games of his three-year career at Boise State. And the possibility of that changing for his Senior year is about as likely as Coach Hawkins giving everything up to go coach the Idaho Vandals. While it’s true that Coach Hawkins has said many times that each position is up for grabs, I don’t see anyone beating DC out of his left tackle position. He in fact will be the corner stone of our Oline. His leadership and experience will be critical to the success of Boise State’s offense. Oh, and by the way, Daryn keeps getting stronger and stronger. Just this month he blew away the weight room record in the power clean with a new mark of 438 lbs! The old record was 409 lbs, set in 2004 by none other than……Daryn Colledge.

Members online

Latest posts