Mike Woods column: Solutions start at home

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061204/PKR07/612040502/1989

Mike Woods column: Solutions start at home

By Mike Woods

If this is the path to reconstruction, then Mike McCarthy needs to man up and do the right thing.

Stop and ask for directions.

Maybe the guy at the Kwik Trip can help. Or perhaps the checker at Festival Foods has a clue. It shouldn't be that hard, and he's going to get the same answer from everybody.

If he wants to turn around the Packers, the first thing he's got to do is start winning at home.

On Sunday, that task proved as difficult as learning Latin. This time it was the New York Jets, an average outfit from the rugged AFC, who came to Lambeau Field and undressed the Packers 38-10.

The Packers are 1-5 at the Tainted Tundra this year and 4-12 in their last 16 tries. As the paying customers can attest, that's cold.

Things got out of hand so fast Sunday that some of the 70,527 started heading for the exits in the second quarter.

We briefly interrupt this dissertation for a pop quiz. Quickly, can you name the coach who said this?

"We need answers, because we have problems that are happening over and over again, and they need to change.''

A, Mike Sherman; B, McCarthy; C, Lindy Infante; D, Forrest Gregg.

The answer is B.

The point is, be it that we're three-fourths through the season, this kind of assessment is a sure sign your team is in deep doo-doo.

Say what you want about Sherman, but his teams didn't get pushed around at home. Of Sherman's 10 home losses in his final two seasons, nine were by 11 points or fewer. Only once was his team beaten by more than 20 points. They may have been pedestrian to bad, but at least they were competitive.

This season, McCarthy's Packers have been humiliated by 26, 35 and 28 points at home.

"You cannot perform like that, and to play like that at home, it just infuriates everybody involved,'' McCarthy said. "And it's unacceptable.''

The fact McCarthy can't find the answers is troubling. It calls into question not only his abilities, but those of his staff.

"I'm not considering any changes,'' he said. "We're not sending anyone off the building or anything like that.''

But sooner or later, you know it's going to come to that, and defensive coordinator Bob Sanders and secondary coach Kurt Schottenheimer are the leading candidates.

The problems don't just reside with the coaches. General Manager Ted Thompson is in charge of procuring the help, and perhaps his eyes have deceived him.

Then, there are the players. The idea of this being an inexperienced group can be sold for only so long. At some point, they are required to show something that resembles progress.

If this program is going to turn around, you've got to take care of the most important things first. In this case, it's learning to win at home.

McCarthy knows that's the answer. He knows that's the direction this team needs to take.

Right now, though, he has no idea how to get there.

Perhaps on the way home, he should stop and ask a letter carrier. He might know. For unlike the Packers, he never looks lost when he gets to 1265 Lombardi Ave.

Mike Woods writes for The Post-Crescent of Appleton. E-mail him at [email protected]

Reaction score
Reminder guys, lets have a civil debate about THIS article, and not go after others for "not being real fans", "being blinded by their love for TT/MM", "I told you so he would suck" "No he doesn't" etc.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As it does with any situation, everything starts with the guy who is in charge of making the decisions. I'm not talking Thompson here, I'm talking Bob Harlan. He is in charge of the franchise, no unlike an owner might be of another NFL team. It is in his charge to determine if Ted Thompson is taking this team in the right direction. Together he and Thompson hired an inexperienced head coach who hadn't really been with a winner. They hired Bob Sanders as defensive coordinator and there has been no indication yet that this was the right move. Schottenheimer was run out of town a few years ago because he was a bad coach. He is still a bad coach. How did he get rehired here? We have talked about personel decisions on this board for two years. Who is to answer for those choices? The GM has to answer to someone, just as the head coach as to answer to the GM. I'm putting this in Harlans lap. He has some choices to make before he retires.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm saying that it is Bob Harlan's job to determine whether the people who run the football side of this operation are doing their jobs.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was trying to remember a season as bad as this one(last year was close) but you need to return to the Infante years, certainly Forrest Gregg to find a Packers performance this bad.

But the first bad decision goes back a number of years: Ron Wolf hired Ray Rhodes instead of Andy Reid to be head coach after Holmgren left. I suspect the Packers would be like the Eagles now instead of being like, well, Gregg's Packers.

Then instead of hiring Marty Schottenheimer, he hires Mike Sherman. Sherman led the team to winning, but you could tell the wheels were slowly coming off.

Then Harlan hires Ted Thompson, a nearly invisible manipulator with a keen sense of making the wrong choice most of the time. Latest exhibit: he interviews Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy. Payton is closing in on Coach of the Year and McCarthy is trying to figure out what has gone wrong.

I figured this team would improve as the season has gone on. It has gotten worse, much worse. Can't blame injuries, except at wide receiver.

They were blown out by a close to .500 team and thoroughly outcoached by another young coach on their home field.

It's easy to pile on after a loss like this, but if you need examples that the wheels have come off, the Bears at Lambeau, New England at Lambeau and New York at Lambeau.

This week will be a good indicator. After McCarthy leaves the 49'er offense behind, they start to turn it around. If they lose to the 49'ers, it will be a very telling tale to the wisdom of Ted Thompson.

The mutiny of McKenzie a few years ago, along with Walker and a few others who couldn't wait to leave town tells me Green Bay has rolled back to the "Siberia of the NFL" reputation of a few years ago, pre-Holmgren, about the same time as Infante and Gregg.

abztractmynd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow i had no idea Ray Rhodes was picked over Andy Reid....and Sherman over Schottenheimer.....everything is wrong with this team. Maybe we need to start over again....

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starting over cannot happen without Bob Harlans approval. That's why I said, everything starts with him.