Mike Woods column: Robinson can't help running game

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071027/PKR07/71026133/1989

By Mike Woods

Let’s make one thing perfectly clear: Santa Claus isn’t coming to town.

Koren Robinson, not ever to be confused with Randy Moss, is.

Robinson, who hasn’t played an NFL game in more than a year after serving a year’s suspension for violating the NFL substance abuse policy for a third time, is the guy who has returned to help the Packers.

From a pure human standpoint, this is terrific news. Robinson’s past battles with alcohol have been well-documented, and that he has found some footing in his life and has worked diligently to win the daily fight against an incurable disease should be applauded.

His daily battle will continue, and we all should wish him well in that regard.
From a pure football standpoint, the question is, how much better will the Packers be now that he is back in the fold?

Tough to say, but it’s safe to say his impact will be several degrees below that of Moss in New England.

Now, if Robinson could run the stretch play or if he had expertise in running behind the zone-blocking scheme, then there would be reason for excitement.

But the running game remains a train wreck, and Robinson’s presence will have no bearing on the Packers’ ability to fix it.

He is not a No. 1 receiver and perhaps not even a No. 2. But he is a quality player who will add depth and give the Packers some more options in their passing game, as well as their return game.

Robinson had arthroscopic surgery in December on his chronically sore right knee and claims it no longer is an issue. He also reported to the Packers at 203 pounds, 10 less than last season. He looks, and sounds, ready to go.

But this remains a guy who only played in four games last season and 28 over the past three seasons, totaling 60 catches. He’s a guy that has 13 touchdown passes in his six-year career. Moss, by comparison, has caught eight in six games with the Patriots this season.

Robinson’s impact will be gradual, not immediate, and it will lean toward minimal, not noteworthy.

Where he can best assist the Packers is in the return game, specifically punt returns. While Charles Woodson has done a good job as the team’s punt returner and has expressed an interest in keeping the job, he is far more valuable to the team as a healthy cornerback. There simply is no need to put him at an unnecessary risk.

If Robinson can win the coaching staff’s trust — and that certainly won’t happen this week — that he can field the ball cleanly and advance it, it would allow them to make the switch. Robinson doesn’t have to be an upgrade, just a player who is as capable.

For all the feel-good vibes Robinson’s return will bring, there is the possibility of a downside.

His presence will allow coach Mike McCarthy and his offensive staff to explore and implement some different options to help make their passing game go.

That’s all well and good. But if comes at the expense of investing the time to fix the biggest problem on this team, then his return will be a curse in disguise.

Throwing the ball more is not the answer.

The Packers still need to find a way to transform an embarrassingly poor running game into one that is at least acceptable if they hope to get where they want to go.

Koren Robinson can make the Packers better, but not where they desperately need to be.

Mike Woods writes for The Post-Crescent of Appleton. Call him at (920) 993-1000, ext. 232, or e-mail him at [email protected]

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Nobody compared him to randy moss.
2. We're 5-1. it's not like we're 1-5 and are hoping robinson will turn it around and carry us to the playoffs.
3. Robinson has 2 career punt returns. who says he's gonna be our punt returner?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
2. We're 5-1. it's not like we're 1-5 and are hoping robinson will turn it around and carry us to the playoffs.
3. Robinson has 2 career punt returns. who says he's gonna be our punt returner?
I know......they are just looking for SOMETHING to fill a column.
I don't expect Robinson to be superman when he first returns.........but like you said, we are 5-1 WITHOUT him, so i bet he can help keep us in the upper tier! It's not like he's lousy. I think he will give a lift to the team, just with his being here. He's GOT to be wanting to prove himself!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
contribution is a funny thing. there are many ways to contribute, a majorly overlooked aspect is attitude. We're 5-1. We're doing good. Some teams might get complacent. But then throw in a top-notch player who has sat out for a year and is hungry for football, and i bet that gets the other players hungry too. No, Koren Robinson isn't the RB that we need, and he isn't Randy Moss, but i'd bet my life that he gets into the locker room and inspires the team to be as hungry as he is. Koren will contribute. No doubt in my mind.

OP
OP
IronMan

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I agree. And yeah, I don't know why so many people think he is going to return punts. Thats not something he's ever really done.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Koren wasn't a KR until he signed with the Vikings.
Maybe Koren can return Punts, who knows, he hasn't tried it but two times in his NFL career.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe Koren can return Punts, who knows, he hasn't tried it but two times in his NFL career.

did his business guy say he thought it was career suicide?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

did his business guy say he thought it was career suicide?
Yeah.......thats what he said in the other thread. But who knows? Maybe MM will get him to give it a try anyway. And if not, KR and WR help will be good!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All right. This article sucks.

The Pats can't possibly be that good because they can't run the ball (by this guy's logic). Do I need to go through the list of SB champions and show that many of them had mediocre running backs?

Here's some trivia. Can anyone name the NE Pats' RB when they won their first SB? How about the Buccaneers' RB the very next year when they won the SB? I'll give you a hint - he ran for a whopping 718 yards and had a 3.5 average.

How about the RB for the Pats the very next year when they won the SB? I'll give you a hint. he ran for 642 yards and had a 3.5 average. Wow!

Now in 2004, the Pats actually had a good RB when they won the Super Bowl.

Last year when the Colts won the SB, they used the pass to open up the run. What a concept. Same thing the Niners did when they won their five SBs.

I'm not at all implying that we should bury our heads in the sand about our running game, I'm just saying we're winning, and the only time we lost is when we tried to run too much.

Use the pass to open up the run. It works. There is plenty of SB history to prove it.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
All right. This article sucks.Do I need to go through the list of SB champions and show that many of them had mediocre running backs?

I'm not trying to "call you out" or anything but just out of curiosity, would you?

I think the Packers back in '96 had a mediocre running game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
All right. This article sucks.Do I need to go through the list of SB champions and show that many of them had mediocre running backs?

I'm not trying to "call you out" or anything but just out of curiosity, would you?

rbs yearly average for each SB winning team

96 packers edgar 4.0 Levens 4.7
97 broncos Davis 4.7
98 broncos Davis 5.1
99 Rams Faulk 5.5
2000 Ravens Lewis 4.4 Holmes 4.3
01 Pats Smith 4.0 Faulk 4.1
02 Tampa Bay Pitman 3.5 Alstott 3.8
03 Pats Smith 3.5 Faulk 3.6

04 Pats Dillon 4.7 Faulk 4.7
05 Steelers Parker 4.7 Bettis 3.3
06 Colts Addai 4.8 Rhodes 3.4

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I was excited to see KR on the active roster today. Santa Claus or not... I am excited to about the idea of lining up four WRs at some point :)

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predict that Koren Robinson will rush for 129 yards on 26 carries. Poo to all the pundits who say Koren can't help the rushing game. 129 yards is helping, if you ask me.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Zombieslayer said:

rbs yearly average for each SB winning team

96 packers edgar 4.0 Levens 4.7
97 broncos Davis 4.7
98 broncos Davis 5.1
99 Rams Faulk 5.5
2000 Ravens Lewis 4.4 Holmes 4.3
01 Pats Smith 4.0 Faulk 4.1
02 Tampa Bay Pitman 3.5 Alstott 3.8
03 Pats Smith 3.5 Faulk 3.6

04 Pats Dillon 4.7 Faulk 4.7
05 Steelers Parker 4.7 Bettis 3.3
06 Colts Addai 4.8 Rhodes 3.4

Coo, thanks.

The Packers didn't have a 1,000 rusher or receiver the year they won.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A solid defense can help BIG time if your running game isn't great. Look at our SB 31 defense. They did alot to get us there. If our D this year keeps getting better, we may never need a big running game. Would it help if our running game gets good? Of course. But whether it does or not, we are in a great position right now.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Robinson will probably not have a big immediate impact (though I'd love to be wrong about that!), but what a shoddy piece of writing from Mr. Woods. The punt return thing is what baffles me most, unless he knows something he's not telling us. Robinson does not even have the right body type or running style to be a good punt returner. He's a big guy with straight-line speed who can break tackles. That's great for a kick returner, but you need a smaller, shiftier guy for punt returns.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that utiilized properly, the addition of Robinson can indeed help the run game. Imagine lining up 4 wide with Wynn in the backfield. Teams will have to respect Driver, Robinson, Jennings and Jones - possibly doubling one of the receivers or playing more zone and dripping linebackers into coverage. There will naturally be less men around the line of scrimmage, in theory making it easier to run. This type of alignment should also open up swing and screen passes to the back(basically a run).

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

Here ya go. I did this while I was at work. ;)

2006 - Colts:
Joseph Addai 1081 yards 4.8 avg, 7 TDs
Dominic Rhodes 641 yards, 3.4 avg, 5 TDs
Notes: Used pass to open up the run. QB threw for 4397 yards and 31 TDs

2005 - Steelers:
Willie Parker 1202 yards, 4.7 avg, 4 TDs
Jerome Bettis 368 yards, 3.3 avg, 9 TDs
Notes: A run-first team. Parker ran for the "easy" yards and Bettis pounded for the tough yards

2004 - Patriots:
Corey Dillon 1635 yards, 4.7 avg, 12 TDs
Notes: A truly balanced offense. Both run and pass will kill you

2003 - Patriots:
Antowain Smith 642 yards, 3.5 avg, 3 TDs
Kevin Faulk 638 yards, 3.6 avg, ZERO TDs
Notes: Rushing game was a horrendous #27th in the NFL. However, this team had the NFL's #1 D and Tom Brady as QB

2002 - Bucs:
Michael Pittman 718 yrds, 3.5 avg, 1 TD
Mike Alstott 548 yrds, 3.8 avg, 5 TDs
Notes: Another horrendous #27 rushing attack in the NFL. However, they had the #1 D in the NFL and a QB who never threw INTs.

2001 - Pats:
Antowain Smith 1157 yards, 4.0 avg, 12 TDs
Notes: A balanced team. Not dominant in any category, except they managed to win games by simply scoring more points than their opponents

In '96, we didn't have a 1000 yard rusher. Favre was MVP, and we used the pass to open up the run.

In the 80s and early 90s, the 49ers did the same thing to win 5 SBs.

I'm too lazy to grab all the stats, but I'll tell you where I got them from: www.pro-football-reference.com

Members online

Latest posts