Mike Sherman will be sent PACK-ing after the 2005 season

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson has already put his stamp on the team. He put lowball offers on all his RFAs and didn

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
I don't think so. I think Ted is patient and doesn't have to decide just yet.
I'd agree with this opinion..... Holmgren back in Lambeau is not a positive..
He left everyone with a bad taste in his mouth and if he had stayed - then '99 would have been a completely different year.. entirely!
We would most likely still have Donatell and Rossley would have never walked thru the gate - something to think about. In fact, we would have probably kept Sherm Lewis! I just don't see this coming to fruition - word I heard was Holmgren and TT weren't all that close to begin with...

BATES gets the call..>!

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPB,

this guy's post reminds me a LOT of Chase's posts in the NC forum.

May be he is right about Sherman's days being numbered but HOLMGREN?

swartzcatz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys..but this reminds me of the start of another round of where the Pack drops to the bottom of the league and can't find a way to get back. TOOO many simularities to count. All in the the name of rebuilding. I hope I'm wrong, but time will tell, and it won't take long. You have to spend money to bring in the best and the Pack don't want to do that. Our "D" kept us out of the playoffs in the Seventies and Eighties untill they spent the Big Bucks on Reggie and company, so if they don't..the Pack won't.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1.....I was thinking the same thing. The only thing missing is a request to re-sign Antonio Freeman!

These guys have no idea what they have in Sherman.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point SC - Good point --- but just the same, at that time ('92, if I remember correctly) The Packers had some dough in the piggy bank... This time around we don't! If this next year pans out like it did this year and we end up with a "younger" team - so be it... and maybe some cash in the bank for another 1st rounder... heck, that'd work!

As far as I'm concerned - Patriots have created a new mold for the NFL - and the Players who are NOT on that Team are fighting the trend...

!) Teams need good players to win
2) Teams need fans to stay loyal and buy the tickets...

Tough transition to keep players from being greedy just because they think they have all the cards in their hand instead of the Owners/Teams... Rosenhog isn't helping matters, either... Even if his paycheck is minimal - he's upsetting the apple cart - which is part of the Players comeback for the angle the Patriots are playing with Members of their Team. I guess it depends on which kool-aid you prefer to drink.....

Remember - we won't comeback later on and discuss contracts as history rolls on...
We'll be discussing SUPERBOWLS and who won them!

The Players have decided (it seems) to write that fact off - in favor of greed!
The next thing to watch about THOSE specific players...?

How many of them are broke later on in life after having received those 7-figure salaries...!

I have faith in TT - We're not suffering with Mike handing money over to the likes of Joe Johnson and now Cletidus Hunt for no good reasoning.... SHARPER FOUND THAT OUT THE HARD WAY _ HE PLAYED EXACTLY THE SAME CARD GAME THAT Hunt had played with Sherman... and lost.. going up against Ted Thompson.

We shall see!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
swartzcatz,

Relax a little! I respect all posters on this board because of the informative things written here; however, let's wait a little before we proclaim this the next era of 4-12 seasons a la the 80's! This team has a lot of talent and some that we do not even know yet...look at the young DT's on this team. Cullen Jenkins could be a flat-out stud in the next year or two, who knows? Carroll and Thomas may develop into some outstanding CB's. Give Bates a chance to mold these players to fit his scheme and then judge...I have more faith in this team than that, sorry, just my opinion.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Relax a little! I respect all posters on this board because of the informative things written here; however, let's wait a little before we proclaim this the next era of 4-12 seasons a la the 80's! This team has a lot of talent and some that we do not even know yet...look at the young DT's on this team. Cullen Jenkins could be a flat-out stud in the next year or two, who knows? Carroll and Thomas may develop into some outstanding CB's. Give Bates a chance to mold these players to fit his scheme and then judge...I have more faith in this team than that, sorry, just my opinion.

Ditto.

this is far from rebuilding mode. we still have a powerhouse offense, and the D really has nowhere to go but up. i dont know anybody who hits the panic button in June after a 10-6 season.

next year is a different story altogether, but we'll be fine this year.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention - Favre getting a "personal trainer"... :?:

In the early years - that was for lifting Leinenkugels.....
I see a much more focused QB coming back to town!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly! Seems like many are already writing the Packers off and that's OK with me because the element of surprise can be a powerful thing! Remember the defense sucked so bad last year that the team still won a division crown for a third consecutive year and made the playoffs - AGAIN! Bates will improve the defense and the offense is flat-out potent! The Packers are not just going to concede the division to anybody! GO PACK!

OP
OP
S

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
swartzcatz said:
You have to spend money to bring in the best and the Pack don't want to do that.

Due to Mike Sherman's incompetence as GM there is no money. It will take Ted Thompson 2-3 years to clean up Sherman's mess.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
swartzcatz said:
You have to spend money to bring in the best and the Pack don't want to do that.

Due to Mike Sherman's incompetence as GM there is no money. It will take Ted Thompson 2-3 years to clean up Sherman's mess.
Once again, Steel Wheels is Mr. Positivity when it comes to the Green and Gold! Sorry man, but the Packers will be OK. In my mind, Sharper's ego is gone, Hunt's laziness will be sooner than later, and we're replacing these type of players with young, hungry players with speed! Give it a chance, really. :beer:

OP
OP
S

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Remember - we won't comeback later on and discuss contracts as history rolls on...
We'll be discussing SUPERBOWLS and who won them!

You hit the nail right on the head IPBprez, it's all about winning the Super Bowl. People think Sherman is such a wonderful HC because the Packers had a 32-16 regular season record over the past 3 seasons.

That record was padded by a 14-4 record in the NFC North division which was one of the weakest in the NFL. The Packers 1-3 playoff record exposes Sherman's incompetence for not having the Packers ready to compete with the best teams in the NFL.

The Packers will never win a NFC Championship let alone a Super Bowl while Mike Sherman is HC in Green Bay.

OP
OP
S

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my mind, Sharper's ego is gone, Hunt's laziness will be sooner than later, and we're replacing these type of players with young, hungry players with speed! Give it a chance, really. :beer:

You may be right but it is going to take 2-3 years and Sherman's departure from Green Bay.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one. I like the Packers this year and think that they should be considered very dangerous in a conference that is up in the air. The Eagles have had their share of problems this off-season and the Vikes are well, you know, the Vikes! :puke:

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the TT plan of attack is to get the roster in shape(not only personnel but money-wise) and Sherman's situation was something that could wait. Sherman isn't going anywhere for a year.

There's been speculation that Sherman only wanted to coach until the end of his contract. Methinks this might have legs. I could see him taking over a college program. All speculation.

Something that ISN'T speculation is that Mike Holmgren left the Packers under bad terms. He was less than a gentleman about his departure and there would be several folks in Green Bay not happy about his return.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Steel Wheels......how long do you think it will take for the Packers to rebuild the D? And....what do you think of the job Sherman has done? :roll: :roll: :roll:

OP
OP
S

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
I think the TT plan of attack is to get the roster in shape(not only personnel but money-wise) and Sherman's situation was something that could wait. Sherman isn't going anywhere for a year.

There's been speculation that Sherman only wanted to coach until the end of his contract. Methinks this might have legs. I could see him taking over a college program. All speculation.

Something that ISN'T speculation is that Mike Holmgren left the Packers under bad terms. He was less than a gentleman about his departure and there would be several folks in Green Bay not happy about his return.

The only reasons Mike Sherman is still in Green Bay are:

1. Ted Thompson realizes that the 2005 season is a rebuilding year for the Packers, so Sherman can't do too much damage. The most important issue is Jim Bates evaluating and getting a handle on the Packers defense.

2. Mike Sherman was due approx 3.2 mil of guaranteed money from the Packers. The Packers didn't want to pay Sherman and another HC.

You are wrong about Sherman wanting only to coach until the end of his contract because he has asked for an extension, but you are right about Sherman being a college level coach, which is where in all probability he will wind up. Maybe back to Holy Cross.

If Mike Holmgren decides to return to Green Bay all will be forgiven by the fans. He will be coming back to help this team out. Don't forget, Mike Holmgren is the only Packer HC to win a Super Bowl in the last 37 seasons. Mike Holmgren will be welcomed with open arms.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admit that I was a little upset when the Packers allowed Holmgren to leave GB. He wanted GM/Coach duties (which he proved in Seattle wasn't a very positive move) and the Packers refused. He walks and then GB turns around and gives Sherman the very thing that Holmgren wanted. Now that Sherman can focus fully on coaching, let's see if he handles things better. I don't doubt that Sherman is a solid football coach but he isn't a great one either.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holmgren is a bush league *******. There's no way he's coming back to GB. They should rename the damn street after a guy with some character like Fritz, who made that fat clown what he was.

Edited for profanity by Leopardmech 8 June 05

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
In my mind, Sharper's ego is gone, Hunt's laziness will be sooner than later, and we're replacing these type of players with young, hungry players with speed! Give it a chance, really. :beer:

You may be right but it is going to take 2-3 years and Sherman's departure from Green Bay.

In the meanwhile, the Packers ARE the NFC north Champions and will continue to get better as time goes along. I don't see ENOUGH from the rest of the NFC north to warrant an alert... Or Sherman bashing.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1,

Wow. Really? When the retooled defense of the Vikings stops our O or the retooled Offensive of the Lions (possibly even the Bears) scores on our D at will (like teams did last year), we are in major trouble. Plus, we have to play better teams than those 3 this year. Basically our D line-up as not changed!

As big of Packer Fan as I am, I am also realistic. Hope is always in the air, but there was also hope that the Titanic would make it to New York.

A top 14 draft pick wouldn't be the end of the world in the long run.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before Sherman took over the play-calling at the Detroit game --- I'd say maybe Sherman bashing had its place --- but after that, we got confirmation that the real issue on Offense was the play calling style and approach of Tom Rossley - NOT Mike Sherman.

We all know those two are golfing buddies and that's probably only one layer to their friendship... Has it clouded Sherman's ability to get beyond the first round of the Playoffs? Ooh, you betcha... certainly!

But this time around - let's see what the man can do with all this extra time on his hands... then.. try and bash the guy! Otherwise - I say Back Off!

Add to this - one Jim Bates - and give this guy a little credit, that he's at least better than SLOW-ik by just walking out onto the field. Will ya?

Let's not get so antsy to be negative -- Who says you'd have any better success than anyone who's already there? I'm sure I'd have a hard time of it....

Go Packers!

OP
OP
S

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Before Sherman took over the play-calling at the Detroit game --- I'd say maybe Sherman bashing had its place --- but after that, we got confirmation that the real issue on Offense was the play calling style and approach of Tom Rossley - NOT Mike Sherman.

We all know those two are golfing buddies and that's probably only one layer to their friendship... Has it clouded Sherman's ability to get beyond the first round of the Playoffs? Ooh, you betcha... certainly!

But this time around - let's see what the man can do with all this extra time on his hands... then.. try and bash the guy! Otherwise - I say Back Off!

Add to this - one Jim Bates - and give this guy a little credit, that he's at least better than SLOW-ik by just walking out onto the field. Will ya?

Let's not get so antsy to be negative -- Who says you'd have any better success than anyone who's already there? I'm sure I'd have a hard time of it....

Go Packers!
Ron Wolf Stuck the Packers with Ray Rhodes. Wolf corrected that mistake by sticking the Packers with Mike Sherman.

You are mistaking being realistic with negativity. Sherman will not be an issue in 2005 because it will be a rebuilding year for the Packers. The major issue will be Jim Bates evaluating the Packer defense.

With Sherman gone after the 2005 season, Jim Bates could very well be the Packers new HC in 2006. The Packers will be free at last!

Members online

Latest posts