Mike Sherman will always have a part of Green Bay with him.

Reaction score
An article I found to be a great read:

Editor's note: This is the column written by former Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman after his family adopted a 4-year-old girl in 2003. The girl's younger sister, who was not yet born when the Shermans adopted her sibling, died last week in Oshkosh. Her death is being investigated as a homicide.

By Mike Sherman

It is a very short week for our football team. We had little time to appreciate our win against the 49ers on Sunday because our attention had to immediately turn to the Detroit Lions and preparation for our Thanksgiving Day game.

But it is Thanksgiving week, and I don't want to let it slip by without taking some time to talk to you about one thing in particular for which the Sherman family is thankful this year.

As you all may know by now, God, family and the Green Bay Packers are the three things that hold the most importance in my life. Sometimes, especially during this time of year, I get their order of importance out of whack, but eventually I always set it back in place.

Just as our Packer family has grown and changed with the addition of some new players over the last several months, a part of what I hold important to me -- my family -- has added one small, but very big addition.

Her name is Selena.

My wife, Karen, and I have just finalized the adoption process. Selena is a wonderful 4-year-old girl that we are happy to welcome to our family, and I am proud to call my daughter.

Selena came into our lives a couple of years ago through Karen's work at Marion House in Green Bay, a place that does a wonderful job providing for young mothers and their children who have nowhere else to go. Karen works as a volunteer, and when Selena and her mother came a few years ago, the three of them developed a special connection that grew over time.

Selena's mother saw the relationship grow, and saw how well Selena responded to Karen and our other children. From the time she was introduced to our family, she just seemed to be a part of it. Our four children, Sarah, Emily, Matt and Ben, took an instant liking to her and made her feel like one of them. Our family had affection for her, and that convinced Karen and me that we should make her a Sherman. Selena's mother also saw that it would be a good fit, and wanted her to be with us.

We continue to have a close relationship with Selena's birth mother. She is a wonderful loving girl much like Selena. She has a lot of great qualities, which I hope Selena will have when she grows up. After getting to know her, I understand where Selena gets her love for life, her outgoing personality and her strong will.

Selena is a bright girl, much more intelligent and savvy than most 4-year-olds. She constantly amazes us with her knowledge and perception of things. When asked recently how her day went, the precocious child said: "You do not even want to know!"

I wonder where she gets this?!?

In the short time she has been a part of our lives, she has given us so much and added many good stories to our family history. It took her awhile to take a liking to me, but I think I finally broke her.

It was a proud day on Nov. 11 when we went to the courthouse to make the adoption official. As we stood there crossing the t's and dotting the i's, I couldn't help but think how God has blessed us with this, his most precious gift -- a child.

When the judge asked me why I felt I was fit to be the father of Selena, I simply told him that I loved her as much as my own children, that I would care for her as I do for them and that I couldn't imagine her not being a part of our family. It was that simple and true.

The great thing about having a 4-year-old around is that all they do is love you. They don't know anything else. They totally live in the present. They don't understand wins and losses, they don't understand pressure and anxiety, and they don't worry. Hopping in your lap can solve every problem. They are just glad to see you walk in the door.

After much practice (as I've done with all my kids), she runs across the room and jumps into my arms when I come home at night and tells me she loves me. They live life, and every day is a new adventure.

I am thrilled that Selena will be a permanent part of our lives and thankful that she is a part of our lives.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread isn't meant to be about whether or not Sherman was a good/bad coach or good/bad GM; that is a useless debate at this point in time.

I just found it interesting to get a look at the other side of Mike Sherman. The story is touching, and regardless of what you think of Sherman's performance, I think people agree that Sherman was a good man who gave a genuine effort in trying to get the Lombardi trophy back home.

Bottom line is that in the end, coaches are people too and I just found it interesting that this article raised my awareness of that; coaches live double lives.

Hope you enjoy the read. SOURCE.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was never a doubt that MS was a great human being....and this article only reinforces that notion.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Mike Sherman will always have a part of Green Bay with h

There was never a doubt that MS was a great human being....and this article only reinforces that notion.

yup

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
The story is touching, and regardless of what you think of Sherman's performance, I think people agree that Sherman was a good man who gave a genuine effort in trying to get the Lombardi trophy back home.

Absolutely!

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Great person......average coach.

Kind of the Jimmy Carter of football.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Mike Sherman will always have a part of Green Bay with h

digsthepack said:

Great person......average coach.

Kind of the Jimmy Carter of football.

lol, you rule

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts