Mike Sherman new Texas A & M coach

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How sad!

(Oh how the mighty have fallen!)

At least now, he can get Tom Rossley out of mothballs and bring back the mighty Holy Cross Offense to the Aggies...lol. :lol:

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good for him. I think he is a quality human being, and a very good coach - he just(like most) could not handle the dual role and that really sealed his fate in Green Bay.

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its still a mystery to me why the Packer's decided to give Sherman that role.

If I remember right, Holmgren wanted the duel role and the Packer's were unwilling to give it to him. So why Sherman?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

If I remember right, Holmgren wanted the duel role and the Packer's were unwilling to give it to him. So why Sherman?

Don't you think it was a little bit of a shot at Holmgren for leaving like he did... kinda like a wheeeee bit of payback for taking the money and running.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman is a good coach. He didn't measure up to Holmgren, but he is quite good. I hope he finds success.

As for the dual role, Wolf was not ready to retire when Holmgren was here. In hindsight, it's a shame they couldn't have worked out a plan of succession to keep Holmgren, since Wolf didn't last much longer. Not that I think Holmgren is a great GM, but he is OK, and would have continued to be a great coach for us. In general I think the dual-role is a disaster, however the Holmgren-Favre continuity would have made it worthwhile.

At his retirement Wolf said he wasn't comfortable putting someone new in charge of Sherman. I never understood that reasoning. In hindsight, that turned out to be one of Wolf's very few big mistakes. Nobody's perfect.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congrats Mike.

I will always have a tun of respect for you for the way you stood up for your players here in GB.

Best of luck with the new gig.

Pack93z

Reaction score
He never belonged in the Pros, anyway. :thumbsup:

What was his record as a HC in Green Bay again... regardless how those teams were built, you still had to coach them to win. Ask Norv Turner this year..

Mike was a decent HC and a sub-par GM... his biggest downfall as a HC was lack of experience... and that wasn't his fault.

I can't understand the wanting to kick a man that gave his all.. albeit without a SuperBowl.

This much I will say, he will probably have more sucess in college than the Pros.

Pack93z

Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
how's he gonna blow the salary cap as a college coach?

LOL.. over commit on Scholarships? :)

Maybe overspend the Alumni's under the table recruiting money?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

By failing to keep track how much he pays the high school coaches?

I think personally that recruiting talent is such a huge part of college football today that he better put a hell of a scout network around him that can get good players there or he will be out of there too.

He's not starting off with National Championship talent which would be the equivilant of the SB talent he had when he got to GB.

Sorry. I don't have much faith in Mike as a HC. I think he is totally lacking in the skills necessary to put a coaching staff together that he will trust and rely on. Those are just two words he cannot function by.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

By failing to keep track how much he pays the high school coaches?

I think personally that recruiting talent is such a huge part of college football today that he better put a hell of a scout network around him that can get good players there or he will be out of there too.

He's not starting off with National Championship talent which would be the equivilant of the SB talent he had when he got to GB.

Sorry. I don't have much faith in Mike as a HC. I think he is totally lacking in the skills necessary to put a coaching staff together that he will trust and rely on. Those are just two words he cannot function by.
I liked him as a person, but feel that he did little with the MAJOR talent he had here playoff wise. He was always outcoached when it came to the big games. He was a nice man, and he did back his guys.........there just seemed to be something missing coaching wise.
Just my opinion.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

'nuff said... :lol:

Reaction score
All this harping on Sherman is fine and dandy, but the dude gave it his all during his time here and for that you can't hate the guy.

He didn't get things done, but it certainly wasn't because of lack of effort.

I hope he does well, he is a nice guy that was respected by his players. Lord knows some of the college football guys who are so young need a coach that cares about them.

As for this topic, Sherman is a FORMER Packer, and CURRENT Texan. As such, I'll move this to NFL News. :)

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike was a good coach, I honestly think he overachieved in his time here

Are you serious? He had Brett Favre and Ahman Green in their prime and never reached the NFC championship game. Please! This man failed in Green Bay because he failed to build a defense.

Reaction score
KGB94SACKEM said:

Are you serious? He had Brett Favre and Ahman Green in their prime and never reached the NFC championship game. Please! This man failed in Green Bay because he failed to build a defense.

Yeah, but considering how poor our D was during the Sherman era (and it was REALLY poor almost all the time), it makes Sherman's record a bit more astonishing.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
KGB94SACKEM said:

Yeah, but considering how poor our D was during the Sherman era (and it was REALLY poor almost all the time), it makes Sherman's record a bit more astonishing.

Not when you factor the division competition in his tenure. I'm sorry to even jump into this discussion again, but I can't let a comment like that go by without responding. I would be like someone in the south telling me that 40 degrees is cold.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is a bit of a conspiracy theory, but here it goes. I think Ron Wolf pushed for Sherman to get that job to secure his own legacy in Green Bay. If you think about it for a moment it might make sense. Sherman had never been a head coach at any level and had no administrative experience either. In essence, other than being a really good person, he had no qualifications for either job at Green Bay, much less being both GM and Head Coach. The guy was doomed. Who looks like the superstar after that hiring?

Members online

Latest posts