"Mike Sherman is a terrific head coach"

favrefourevre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...g=favreisstillatthetopofhi&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Favre is still at the top of his game

By Brian Baldinger - SportingNews

Last week, I got steamed. The Packers were 0-4 and there was all this talk about how it might be time for Brett Favre to step aside and let Aaron Rodgers, the team's No. 1 draft choice, take over.

That is, without a doubt, the stupidest notion I've heard all year. Rodgers might be a fine player someday, but he isn't ready -- not unless you want him to go out and play like J.P. Losman. And besides, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Favre. He's as smart as ever, and his athletic skills remain superb. He's like Roger Clemens: an ageless wonder.

Favre is as good now as he was nine years ago, when the Packers won the Super Bowl. Give him the cast he had then and he'd win another ring. The only reason the Packers are in last place is because the players around him aren't as good.

Did you see Favre against the Saints on Sunday? He had emergency fill-ins in the huddle -- ReShard Lee, Donald Lee, Jamal Jones, guys whose names he was learning on the fly as they arrived from the bus stop -- and he winged it all over the field. Put almost any other quarterback back there and this team would have fallen apart. Green Bay won, 52-3.

ADVERTISEMENT

So the Packers are 1-4, same as they were a year ago. Favre led them back to win the NFC North then, and they're still my pick to repeat. Mostly because of Favre.

Favre has never had a losing season in Green Bay, and his passion to win pervades the team. While other clubs with early-season struggles implode (see: Vikings, Ravens), the Packers stay cohesive and positive. It doesn't hurt that new coordinator Jim Bates is molding the defense into a fine unit and that Mike Sherman is a terrific head coach. But when it's all said and done, this is Favre's team. The players reflect his professionalism and desire because they know that with him under center, they have a chance to win every week. And they will win more games than they lose.

What people need to remember is one of the best quarterbacks we've seen in our lifetime is still at the top of his game. Rodgers doesn't belong on the field. He needs to sit back and learn from the master. That will serve the Packers splendidly.

Brian Baldinger, an offensive lineman for 12 NFL seasons, can be heard on Sporting News Radio and seen on FOX Sports. Listen online at radio.sportingnews.com.

FOX SPORTS?!?!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will give credit where credit is due...Sherman kept the team together and called a great game. But (you knew it was coming, DePack), he seems at his best when "rallying the troops, when "their backs are against the wall", and other tired cliche's. Why does he appear incapable of coming out hot and running away with things? Different leaders have different strengths, and Mike Sherman's strength appears to be bringing a team back from the brink...which is where he led them in the first place. This is not the NBA, MLB or hockey...there are ONLY 16 games to the season, making each and every one of the a precious commodity. The nature of the league demands (if you want to win it all) a coaching style that has urgency from the first minute of the first game that is maintained season long. For all his many qualities, I believe that Sherman does not possess this disposition, and as a result, his teams will always find ways to struggle (even when they should not) only to rally back late and fall short.

That said, he ran a heckuva game yesterday...much to his credit.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even when they should not? Struggle that is. Nobody picked the Packers to win this division. I believe the over/under in Vegas for wins was anywhere from 7.5 to 8.5. They have had a rough start for a number of reasons...some of which may be the coaches fault. Injuries have also slowed them down. The offense took longer to come together than anticipated and the turnover margin is EVERYTHING in the NFL. As I stated last week that as long as the players don't quit on Sherman I will back him. They obviously didn't quit on him...I credit Favre with much of this also. If your coach and hall of fame QB and leader doesn't panic, the troops won't either.

Isn't it amazing how easy it is to win when the turnover margin is +4 or 5 in your favor?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
favrefourever...

That's the one statement in the entire article that I did not agree with....

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
So I guess there is no truth to the rumor that Brett locked Sherman out of the complex and ran the club all week, then let Sherman back in on Sunday morning to stand on the side lines?

RP

Raider Pride

Did YOU start that rumour? I can't even tell who's who anymore...

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts