Mike Sherman, Green Bay

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If this was posted already, I apologize but found one comment to be interesting.

Overview: It's easy to point to injuries as the primary factor why a team that had won three straight division titles entering 2005 collapsed so abysmally this season. And there is plenty of evidence, notably on the offensive side, to justify that rationalization. But this is a team, with the departure of Sherman and the possible retirement of quarterback Brett Favre, that clearly is in flux. That's not to say there aren't some plusses: The fact the division isn't terribly strong, coffers deep enough to pay off the $6.4 million remaining on Sherman's contract, and the unparalleled fervor of Packers fans.

Mike Sherman
Sherman
Next for Sherman: There aren't a lot of unemployed coaches who have averaged nearly 10 wins per year (counting postseason victories) and whose résumés include four straight playoff appearances and a run of three consecutive division titles. Sherman is a solid guy, but a coach about whom not much is known, especially outside of the NFL's smallest market. Before he landed the Packers job in 2000, his name had never been so much as rumored as a candidate anywhere else, and his hiring in Green Bay took a lot of people by surprise. Yet his players respected him and he ran a winning program until injuries decimated the roster this season. His might not immediately be a "hot" name, but his record makes him difficult to ignore.

Next for Packers: It's been rumored since about midseason that Philadelphia offensive coordinator Brad Childress could be a candidate if Sherman was dismissed. Childress has some background in the state, having served as coordinator at Wisconsin, and he clearly is a deserving coach whose time has come. Lewis is a former Packers cornerback whose career was prematurely ended by a neck injury but who retains some profile among longtime Green Bay fans. One would think that, bitter rivalries aside, the Packers would check out Rivera, as will many teams. Two long shots: current defensive coordinator Jim Bates, who at least deserves an interview, and Steve Mariucci, who was once the Green Bay quarterbacks coach. Speculation is that the new coach will have to have a background in the West Coast offense to help ease the eventual transition of first-round quarterback Aaron Rodgers into the starting job.

The comment was ''Speculation is that the new coach will have to have a background in the West Coast offense to help ease the eventual transition of first-round quarterback Aaron Rodgers into the starting job.''

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
another vote for no childress...I actually wrote that on the little petition that was referenced on a previous thread that's being sent to TT.

Reaction score
I think Mangini is a excellent coach, but to green. I vote Bates. Bates deserves a chance after what he did with the D. He is a respected coach. Lets also not forget he was Bellichik's first choice to be DC.

Members online

Latest posts