Mike Pettine's Defence

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since we’re still in position to be the number 1 seed in the nfc and lead our division, I don’t see Pettine being fired while there’s still games left to play...unless we go on a bad losing streak where we slip the division lead. Pettine definitely needs to go though, as soon as MM was let go, it was only a matter of time for Pettine. Lafleur was going to want to bring in his own guy eventually. I disagree with the people who claim our personnel on defense isn’t good enough to be better. Sure we lack a little bit talent at positions, but every team does. There’s no excuse for not being a better unit with the guys we have, which includes 3 all pro caliber players at 3 of the most important positions on defense.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Since we’re still in position to be the number 1 seed in the nfc and lead our division, I don’t see Pettine being fired while there’s still games left to play...unless we go on a bad losing streak where we slip the division lead. Pettine definitely needs to go though, as soon as MM was let go, it was only a matter of time for Pettine. Lafleur was going to want to bring in his own guy eventually. I disagree with the people who claim our personnel on defense isn’t good enough to be better. Sure we lack a little bit talent at positions, but every team does. There’s no excuse for not being a better unit with the guys we have, which includes 3 all pro caliber players at 3 of the most important positions on defense.

Agree with you, but I do think the DL and ILB positions are the weakest links and each needs at least 1 upgrade. We don't have the kind of personnel that makes this an elite defense, but we also shouldn't look as bad as we have during this season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i see good players and but not a good defense. It's good at times, and then really bad at others. and a lot of ho hum in between

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
i see good players and but not a good defense. It's good at times, and then really bad at others. and a lot of ho hum in between

Agree and this leads me back to coaching every time. Whether its the DC or the positional coaches or all of the above.

I actually look at the offense that is a group that gets more out of less talent than some would and I give the coaches and #12 credit for that. Adam Stenevich the Packers OL coach and his staff should get some kind of award. They have done a very impressive job with the players and injuries that they have been handed.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers mist likely don't have the cap space necessary to re-sign King.

If that's the case, then Gute needs to be fired because the secondary is going to be a travesty next year and he's done very little to stock the corner room with young guys with a lot of potential.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Where do you see good players? I mean, Alexander, Clark, and Z are good. The rest are average (at best) and oftentimes much worse than average. Gary looks like he might become good but he's inconsistent. Amos is very steady but Savage has taken a major step back this year.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Savage is starting to play better imho. And Amos is too. And I would like to see them blitz some. Gary needs to learn something other than a power rush. Who is teaching him I wonder?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith and Smith are obviously good players. They were setting the league on fire last year. I suppose they’re just scrubs now and we have nobody to work with at OLB?

I didn’t say they were playing well, they good enough to be playing better.

Gary isn’t some scrub. Savage was better and thankfully is playing better as of late. He obviously has the skills to be better. Amos is not a scrub.
Alexander is not a scrub. King is not a scrub. Kirksey and Martin are easily what Martinez was. They aren’t superstars but then they weren’t replacing one either.

DL is fairly weak with Clark and some guys.

Better defenses have worked with less. There are players and talent at every level. They’re inconsistent to say the least.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith and Smith are obviously good players. They were setting the league on fire last year. I suppose they’re just scrubs now and we have nobody to work with at OLB?

I didn’t say they were playing well, they good enough to be playing better.

Gary isn’t some scrub. Savage was better and thankfully is playing better as of late. He obviously has the skills to be better. Amos is not a scrub.
Alexander is not a scrub. King is not a scrub. Kirksey and Martin are easily what Martinez was. They aren’t superstars but then they weren’t replacing one either.

DL is fairly weak with Clark and some guys.

Better defenses have worked with less. There are players and talent at every level. They’re inconsistent to say the least.

Well, you're half right. :)

As for the rest, those, like me, who aren't talent evaluators could use more explanation than "he's not a scrub".

Jace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A set up similar to and yet different than what we saw with Dom Capers.

We lined up with 4 Corners and 2 Safety's and just 1 Linebacker (Blake Martinez) most of game. Seems the plan was to force Bears to run the ball more. Not sure if this will be standard set up or just to exploit pass errors from a young QB or just because we did not have a speedy linebacker with Burks out...but it worked. Probably not as effective as it should have been given Clay's inept performance means we pressured Mitch less than we would have preferred.

vs Vikings:

With a pass catching RB like Dalvin Cook, we'd get beat badly if we ended up with just 1 linebacker. Add in Murray to the mix, I reckon we probably should see Antonio Morrison more.

And Vikings have a better WR set than Bears, which makes it more complex to defend against.

A quick linebacker who can drop into coverage will be sorely missed, imo.

I think the problem goes deeper than Petine we need to fire Matt Lefleur as well or a demotion to OC before he can get away with benching Rodgers sign the petition below
http://chng.it/LyBfGk6R
Some good articles if anyone is interested:

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...-bay-rolls-with-3-wrs-and-6-dbs-all-game-long

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...id-injuries-puts-clamps-on-bears-passing-game

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, you're half right. :)

As for the rest, those, like me, who aren't talent evaluators could use more explanation than "he's not a scrub".
Well, 2 guys that dominate as one of the best at their positions in the entire league one year and the next you have better than average and one playing at a pretty average to poor level. Some are saying this defense has nobody to work with. I think they have plenty to work with that aren't performing to the level they should. There's a difference.

Preston Smith isn't some scrub. he was pretty good in Washington and he was very good when he got here. He didn't just become a nobody that you can't play defense with. he might be playing like one, but it's not because he isn't talented or good enough to be way more productive. So while some may say this defense doesn't have anybody to play defense with, I disagree. They do. They aren't stacked at every position, but they have good players at every level. They need to figure out how to get more out of them because they can. We've all seen it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, 2 guys that dominate as one of the best at their positions in the entire league one year and the next you have better than average and one playing at a pretty average to poor level. Some are saying this defense has nobody to work with. I think they have plenty to work with that aren't performing to the level they should. There's a difference.

Preston Smith isn't some scrub. he was pretty good in Washington and he was very good when he got here. He didn't just become a nobody that you can't play defense with. he might be playing like one, but it's not because he isn't talented or good enough to be way more productive. So while some may say this defense doesn't have anybody to play defense with, I disagree. They do. They aren't stacked at every position, but they have good players at every level. They need to figure out how to get more out of them because they can. We've all seen it.

While I agree with your points Mondio, after 11 weeks I don't see it happening.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

With regards to Preston Smith, there is nothing scheme wise that is causing him to be a poor pass rusher. Nothing scheme wise that is causing him to be poor at setting an edge. Nothing scheme wise that is causing him to be slow, and out of shape.

I don’t like a lot of what Pettine does, especially in coverage, but I don’t think he’s causing Preston Smith to play bad. Preston is just playing bad. Z has started to play a lot better as of late, and against the Colts he was doubled on almost half the plays. Smith was one on one against a backup, and couldn’t take advantage of it.

There is no reason to play Smith over Gary anymore. None at all.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow that Ram D line can play. And they are in great shape because they never slow down. They go after it, run or pass, on every down.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow that Ram D line can play. And they are in great shape because they never slow down. They go after it, run or pass, on every down.

They're on another level compared to our defense. Faster, more aggressive, and much more physical.

D

Deleted member 6794

They have talent at all phases of the defense at this point. We've had talent on all three levels for damn near a decade. 2 Pro Bowl level edge rushers, Pro Bowl cog in the middle of the D-line, Elite CB with above average #2, combo of young dynamic/steady vet at Safety, Young LB's who can pop with a solid vet in Kirksey

The talent of this defense is hovering around top 10.

The Packers have definitely some good players on defense but lack talent on the defensive line aside of Clark and at inside linebacker resulting in the unit struggling against the run.

Preston Smith hasn't performed at a Pro Bowl level this season by any means.

If that's the case, then Gute needs to be fired because the secondary is going to be a travesty next year and he's done very little to stock the corner room with young guys with a lot of potential.

It's absolutely irrational to blame Gutekunst for the cap significantl dropping because of COVID-19.

There's no doubt the defense has some very talented players but a couple of them haven't performed up to potential this season.

I wonder who's the blame for it though as they played much better with Pettine coordinating the defense last season as well.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
They're on another level compared to our defense. Faster, more aggressive, and much more physical.
Some one here a few weeks back, said rams werent good..used a stat to back it up.

As I said b4 stats dont tell while story

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's absolutely irrational to blame Gutekunst for the cap significantl dropping because of COVID-19.

What about ignoring known personnel issues? Am I allowed to blame him for that? Cause that's far more rationale than assuming re-signing Kevin King is a good idea.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
someone threw out a stat on twitter that was telling but also needs to be taken with a grain of salt. in man coverage the Packers D allowed a qb rating in the mid 80's and in zone coverage just above 100. yuk!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
someone threw out a stat on twitter that was telling but also needs to be taken with a grain of salt. in man coverage the Packers D allowed a qb rating in the mid 80's and in zone coverage just above 100. yuk!

Easier just to say "With a Mike Pettine defense, you never know what you will get." :coffee:

D

Deleted member 6794

What about ignoring known personnel issues? Am I allowed to blame him for that? Cause that's far more rationale than assuming re-signing Kevin King is a good idea.

Gutekunst definitely deserves criticism for not addressing positions in need of an upgrade this past offseason.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patricia was just fired. McCarthy was also fired mid-season.

Journalists say two is a coincidence, three is a trend.

Have there been others mid-season? Is this becoming more common?

Should Pettine be worried?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patricia was just fired. McCarthy was also fired mid-season.

Journalists say two is a coincidence, three is a trend.

Have there been others mid-season? Is this becoming more common?

Should Pettine be worried?
I would like to see it and I would like to see LaFleur pick his own man.

Members online

Latest posts