Mike Pettine's Defence

GB psyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine, just like Capers shows flashes of a great scheme, but the talent on the field will get him fired. We continually have a dismal pass rush from the D line, Z Smith is the only LB coming off the edge and the middle of the field has been wide open for 10+ years. Taylor, Hines, Mo-Alie, and Pittman with torch us tomorrow. I have no doubt, and Rivers will look like the #1 QB

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine, just like Capers shows flashes of a great scheme, but the talent on the field will get him fired. We continually have a dismal pass rush from the D line, Z Smith is the only LB coming off the edge and the middle of the field has been wide open for 10+ years. Taylor, Hines, Mo-Alie, and Pittman with torch us tomorrow. I have no doubt, and Rivers will look like the #1 QB
My take is different. Pettine may do just enough (like Capers) to keep his job. Which is a bummer.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I’m lukewarm on Pettine. There are things about him that I’ve liked in the past, but I wouldn’t call myself a fan or defender of him.

But undoubtedly, the biggest problem with the defense in 2020 has been the absence (whether literal or in terms of impact) of the defense’s biggest investments.

Alexander has been awesome, Za’Darius has been good, Amos has been ok, and Gary has had moments.

But Clark, Preston Smith, King, Savage, Kirksey— these guys are all being paid to be good, or were drafted high to be good, and they’ve either been out or haven’t played well.

And even guys who have been better, like Z or Gary, are hit and miss game to game.

The Packers’ season largely hinges on those guys rounding into form (or not) in the home stretch.

All that said, five of Green Bay’s nine opponents have technically scored fewer points against the Packers than they have otherwise on average. So it’s no guarantee that Indy will have great success. As a team that averages 27 ppg, it would be no great shock for the Packers to hold them to 20-24.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine, just like Capers, needs to go so that fans can stop blaming one coach for poor personnel. Now, that goes both ways. I happen to think Pettine isn't great, but he's also not bad, he's just working with poor defensive personnel. However, if a new guy comes in and turns things around then I was wrong and Pettine sucks. I just don't get blaming the coach for terrible run defense when EVERYONE knew the run defense was going to stink after last year and the GM added nothing to help the run defense.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine, just like Capers, needs to go so that fans can stop blaming one coach for poor personnel. Now, that goes both ways. I happen to think Pettine isn't great, but he's also not bad, he's just working with poor defensive personnel. However, if a new guy comes in and turns things around then I was wrong and Pettine sucks. I just don't get blaming the coach for terrible run defense when EVERYONE knew the run defense was going to stink after last year and the GM added nothing to help the run defense.
Agree that we don't seem to have the horses on the D line. We could probably play better than we do. But what I really don't like and consider worthy of firing is playing soft when the situation calls for playing tight and I hate the 3 man rush which has outlasted its usefulness years ago. And he does not have a lot of creativity with his blitzes imho. Again, it is a double edged sword because I'd like him gone but I want the D to do good...like Capers.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree that we don't seem to have the horses on the D line. We could probably play better than we do. But what I really don't like and consider worthy of firing is playing soft when the situation calls for playing tight and I hate the 3 man rush which has outlasted its usefulness years ago. And he does not have a lot of creativity with his blitzes imho. Again, it is a double edged sword because I'd like him gone but I want the D to do good...like Capers.

I'm willing to admit I'm wrong on this but the 3 man rush is generally, to me, an admission that the team doesn't have the linemen necessary to go with 4, or versatile enough personnel to try and disguise the rush. The Packers pass rush is basically Clark and Z. Hard to disguise that consistently.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I think Pettine has been given better players to coach and yet his defenses are strangely starting to play like the ones Capers put on the field. The most frustrating aspect of the defense is that it isn't like TT and Gute have ignored it in both the draft and Free agency, yet here we are talking about Pettine being on the hot seat.

D

Deleted member 6794

The defense definitely lacks talent at several positions but another reason the unit has struggled at times is that some of the players expected to have a significant impact haven't performed up to expectations.

While coaching might be a reason for that as well I agree that Gutekunst ignoring the defensive line this offseason was a mistake as well.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense definitely lacks talent at several positions but another reason the unit has struggled at times is that some of the players expected to have a significant impact haven't performed up to expectations.

While coaching might be a reason for that as well I agree that Gutekunst ignoring the defensive line this offseason was a mistake as well.

Ignoring the dline and corner look like they are going to be mistakes that haunt this time for some time. Packers are going to have to re-sign Kevin King (the Nick Perry of the secondary) to a contract it's almost certain he won't live up to or risk going into next season with only one decent NFL corner. At least when Gute ignores the receiving group he can rely on Rodgers to save his butt, once the DSG (defensive scapegoat) is gone, all eyes are going to be on Gute.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Pettine has been given better players to coach and yet his defenses are strangely starting to play like the ones Capers put on the field. The most frustrating aspect of the defense is that it isn't like TT and Gute have ignored it in both the draft and Free agency, yet here we are talking about Pettine being on the hot seat.

Packers are still recovering from the ineptitude of TT in drafting defensive players and Gute ignored many defensive needs in the most recent draft. Packers have serious needs on the dline and at corner (ILB is also a need but I still think ILB is the least impactful defensive position) and are going to have some interesting questions after this season about how to maintain what has been a decent pass defense this year, let alone how to improve an abysmal run defense.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3rd and 16 ....3 guys available to tackle the underneath pass .... allowing at least a 15 yard cushion.... allowing a 17 yard gain. Yes please fire him.

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't watch this defense anymore. We have talent all over this D and we are ATROCIOUS year after year

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Embarrassing.

- Can't tackle. Bouncing around like bowling pinks.
- Can't cover under route. It's a cheat code against us.
- Can't stay onside. Wow of we go a game without stupid penalties.

Honestly Pettine and Gute are equally to blame.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely. He should be gone tomorrow morning

31 points scored on the road and you lose. Get the **** out of town

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This defense is just not intelligent. They don't have a signal caller making sure everyone knows their job - the second coach on the field so to speak. It doesn't play with fire. Pettine has needed to be fired now for half the season. I have no clue if Lafleur can even fire him or if he has to beg Murphy. It's just frustrating watching them waste Rodgers' career like this.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers are going to have to re-sign Kevin King (the Nick Perry of the secondary) to a contract it's almost certain he won't live up to or risk going into next season with only one decent NFL corner. is

The Packers mist likely don't have the cap space necessary to re-sign King.

I can't watch this defense anymore. We have talent all over this D and we are ATROCIOUS year after year

The defense definitely lacks talent at some positions.

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers mist likely don't have the cap space necessary to re-sign King.

The defense definitely lacks talent at some positions.

They have talent at all phases of the defense at this point. We've had talent on all three levels for damn near a decade. 2 Pro Bowl level edge rushers, Pro Bowl cog in the middle of the D-line, Elite CB with above average #2, combo of young dynamic/steady vet at Safety, Young LB's who can pop with a solid vet in Kirksey

The talent of this defense is hovering around top 10.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
the passive, play scared, D continues. it's beyond time for him to go. let the DB coach (the name escapes me) take over.

Jerry Gray.

If Pettine is fired, I see it happening more at the end of the season. I also think if it happens, they let the new DC bring in the staff of his/her choosing.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tackling continues to be weak and there is still no fire and aggressiveness. Look at the good defenses: they are all running hard and hitting hard. These are coachable.

"The fish rots from the head" is an old Russian saying, and, yes, the DC is responsible, but where is the player-leader? Last year, the Smith Bros were open about their role in building an attitude. What's up this year? Who is the leader?

Where is Gilbert Brown to launch an expletive filled tirade at half time and scare a few of the more timid souls?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Last year, the Smith Bros were open about their role in building an attitude. What's up this year? Who is the leader?

I think the Smith Brothers and most of the players are more interested in solo celebrations and running down to act silly in front of the celebration camera. Whose idea was that stupid thing anyway? I'm bored and annoyed by it already. :D

You are right though, there isn't much visual fire from the defense and that starts with the DC and positional coaches. Right now it looks like 11 guys out there just trying to earn their own paychecks or in the case of Preston Smith, someone who already spent his paycheck and checked out.

Members online