Mike Pettine's Defence

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing you have to take into consideration is the quarterbacks in these sets of games that you reference....
dak and moore are in the same category as those others (other than wentz). dak got his in garbage time when the Packers backed off, with the big lead, and moore got his all game long. the kc game went down to who had the ball last. that's cutting it a little too close. the hill what-if's can go the other way too. what if they'd played more man and got some pressure on moore? maybe additional sacks and an int or two would/could have happened. but...it worked out in the end...this time.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
dak and moore are in the same category as those others (other than wentz). dak got his in garbage time when the Packers backed off, with the big lead, and moore got his all game long. the kc game went down to who had the ball last. that's cutting it a little too close. the hill what-if's can go the other way too. what if they'd played more man and got some pressure on moore? maybe additional sacks and an int or two would/could have happened. but...it worked out in the end...this time.
The Packers allowed only 7 points in the second half. There's nothing wrong with the defensive game plan, particularly after some minor adjustments were made at halftime. The performance of the defense against KC is being a little blown out of proportion, in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 6794

KC is considered a top team in this league. We went into one of the toughest places for visiting teams to win and came out victorious. This isn't the NCAA. Nobody cares about style points or how good you look doing it. It doesn't matter if you win by 1 or 100. The W is all that is important.

You have to consider that Mahomes wasn't playing though.

Scoring isn't the result of just the defense. Offenses that turn the ball over a lot put their defense in such a bad position that they give up points even if they are good. if not then turnovers wouldn't be so important. While red zone defense has been much better to date than the rest of the field, how long can that last when teams gash Petine's defense on the ground and through the air. Wentz didn't have any problems vs the Packers and I suspect other very good qb's will find the end zone as easily. Is it too much to ask to finally have a defense in the top half of the nfl especially after the massive investments in it. Its ridiculous to suggest that a defense that gets routinely gashed will play out of character in the playoffs against great qb's and be stellar in the red zone. Not going to happen. What's more likely to happen is the dam bursts and we see another 45 put on the board.

There are definitely other numbers to consider when evaluating a defense but there's no doubt that points allowed is the most important one.

With that being said I would prefer the Packers defense to give up less yards as well.

Packers in 05? Had number one Def in yards..they were 4 and 12?

FWIW the Packers defense finished seventh in yards allowed in 2005.

https://www.pro-football-reference....c5val=1.0&order_by=tot_yds_opp&order_by_asc=Y

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You have to consider that Mahomes wasn't playing though.

There are definitely other numbers to consider when evaluating a defense but there's no doubt that points allowed is the most important one.

With that being said I would prefer the Packers defense to give up less yards as well.

FWIW the Packers defense finished seventh in yards allowed in 2005.

https://www.pro-football-reference....c5val=1.0&order_by=tot_yds_opp&order_by_asc=Y
Passing yards... number one

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Mahomes didn't play but I don't think it was KC's QB play that did them in (I thought Moore played great). It was because they had no answer for Aaron Jones. We kept scheming them to put a LBer on him and burned them time and time again.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This 6 and 7 DB's that pettine is running on every down is not working. Martinez out there looking like a lost soul both in the pass game and run game. rashad gary is lookin like a real bust out there. the whole point of running 6 DB's is to stop the passing and the DB's are not even contesting the passes. Since week 2 teams have ran and passed at will. I sure hope pettine can fix the problem, blake obviously needs help in the middle.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This 6 and 7 DB's that pettine is running on every down is not working. Martinez out there looking like a lost soul both in the pass game and run game. rashad gary is lookin like a real bust out there. the whole point of running 6 DB's is to stop the passing and the DB's are not even contesting the passes. Since week 2 teams have ran and passed at will. I sure hope pettine can fix the problem, blake obviously needs help in the middle.
The defense has shown up at the right time most of the season. But they don't inspire the confidence that they did in the first few games when Rodgers was rubbing Pettine's head. They're good enough to help win us some games, but unfortunately they don't appear to be as dominant as we had hoped early in the season.

I find myself hoping the bottom doesn't drop out. Probably conditioning from watching so many years of bad defenses.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's true that the Packers defense has struggled at times this season at preventing opponents from gaining a lot of yards but teams haven't been able to score at will against them.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This D is getting worse every week. Even from a points allowed perspective, they are #11 but getting progressively worse, as they were ranked #2 earlier this year.

People can say they were worn out because of the offense. But really they were worn out because they couldn't stop the Chargers. Force 3 and outs and you won't get tired.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This D is getting worse every week. Even from a points allowed perspective, they are #11 but getting progressively worse, as they were ranked #2 earlier this year.

People can say they were worn out because of the offense. But really they were worn out because they couldn't stop the Chargers. Force 3 and outs and you won't get tired.

They've definitely been trending in a bad direction.

It's really disappointing to me because after the first 2 weeks of the season I was convinced that we had finally, finally built a defense that could help carry us back to the Super Bowl.

7 weeks later, it's painfully obvious that it's just another edition of Rodgers' era Packer defense -- middle to bottom half ranked defenses that give up huge chunks of yards and rely on Rodgers sustaining drives and putting up huge numbers to have any success at all.

One thing that has been pretty consistently bad this season is the run defense. The only way they've been able to neutralize that is jumping out to huge leads and forcing teams to abandon the run game. When they get behind, any team with a rushing attack gives this defense fits.

I'm just not sure the run D is fixable this year with the personnel they have. We're going into Week 10, so they likely are who they are.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My concerns about the defense:
  • The # of explosive plays allowed
  • 8 takeaways the first 3 games, only 6 in the last 6
  • Allowing almost 26 pts./game in the last 6
  • 3 straight QBs post a passer rating over 100
  • run defense is almost non-existent
Probably more concerns than just these, but they don't paint a very good picture. Couple them with an offense that is inconsistent from game to game and while you have a team that might be 7-2, it has a lot of work ahead to be considered a Super Bowl threat.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My concerns about the defense:
  • The # of explosive plays allowed
  • 8 takeaways the first 3 games, only 6 in the last 6
  • Allowing almost 26 pts./game in the last 6
  • 3 straight QBs post a passer rating over 100
  • run defense is almost non-existent
Probably more concerns than just these, but they don't paint a very good picture. Couple them with an offense that is inconsistent from game to game and while you have a team that might be 7-2, it has a lot of work ahead to be considered a Super Bowl threat.
that's the soft, bend-don't-break for you. it keeps your D on the field too long, gives up yards and points, and limits the takeaway chances.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
that's the soft, bend-don't-break for you. it keeps your D on the field too long, gives up yards and points, and limits the takeaway chances.

I always kind of chuckle when people use the "Bend but don't break" label. I doubt many DC's tell their defense "ok boys, here is our strategy, we are going to let the other team consistently march down to the red zone, but we will suddenly wake up and stop them there". Sounds more like an excuse, especially if it is used to explain the Packer Defense that was on the field yesterday.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The misses a Safety/LB hybrid big time!

I think they are short 2 ILB's, as well as a D lineman. Gute is going to have a busy offseason again. I just hope that it isn't one that mainly focuses on improving the defense and leaves the offense short of dynamic weapons again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montravious seems to be a guy that's mostly promise, but average at best production. I do like Keke and think he will be one that makes a nice jump in year 2 and 3. Clark needs to get back to healthy. Depth is hurting right now, but i guess we could have kept a guy with a foot injury costing 10 million bucks who would still be out with his foot injury and still not helping anyone.

Dline depth is being stretched a bit right now, but only a normal amount I think in an NFL season. Our middle layer of the defense is pretty weak, but we knew that to start with. Teams have just seen enough weeks to know how to exploit it now and will continue to do so until we figure out a way to stop it.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always kind of chuckle when people use the "Bend but don't break" label. I doubt many DC's tell their defense "ok boys, here is our strategy, we are going to let the other team consistently march down to the red zone, but we will suddenly wake up and stop them there". Sounds more like an excuse, especially if it is used to explain the Packer Defense that was on the field yesterday.

Well I'd say on most weeks if I had heard the opponent was going to be held out of the end zone and settling for FGs in the first half, I'd love it. 9 times out of 10 if you do that against Rodgers, you're in trouble.

Defense doesn't get a pass, BUT .... It wasn't entirely their fault they were on the field almost the whole game yesterday. Also ... Our special teams is once again a dumpster fire and ... Im running short on answers on how to fix it. I'd say fire the STC but we did that this last offseason and the results aren't much different.

Defense could have done a little more sure, but they should never have to be on the field that long or get screwed over by an inept special teams unit.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We seem to be in a bend...don't break mentality. And it is giving the other team way too much time with the ball.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We seem to be in a bend...don't break mentality. And it is giving the other team way too much time with the ball.
They did ok until the end. But your offense can't show up with 50 damn yards in the first half and expect anything good to happen.

People can bag on defense all they way, the middle layer of the D is the weakness and we knew that going in, but our offense did nothing yesterday to help this team win. It was as pathetic of an outing as I've seen from an NFL team.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough for the offense to do much w/o the ball. But yeah, SD defense was very good.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“I think based on what this defense was giving us,” Rivers said, “we just stayed with it. You saw the same formation, I don’t know, maybe 25 snaps. We were in three receivers and a tight end. We just kept getting the same look, and kept getting the same look, and kept getting the same look. I think we said, ‘Let’s just keep doing the same thing.’"

So basically Pettine doesn't know how to make adjustments. Just like Capers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
“I think based on what this defense was giving us,” Rivers said, “we just stayed with it. You saw the same formation, I don’t know, maybe 25 snaps. We were in three receivers and a tight end. We just kept getting the same look, and kept getting the same look, and kept getting the same look. I think we said, ‘Let’s just keep doing the same thing.’"

So basically Pettine doesn't know how to make adjustments. Just like Capers.

I saw the same comment by Rivers and just SMH. If THAT is the case, Capers, I mean Pettine really needs to light a fire under his own ***.

I know some are saying "The Packers defense held them to just 4 FG's in the first half, so that is pretty good". I call B.S., the Packer defense forced 1 punt all day and zero turnovers. You aren't going to win many games playing that kind of defense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn’t read too much into it. We’ve obviously seen him make adjustments to know he can.

keeping the same look and running a different defense is kind of a hallmark of his.

but there may have been things going on we’re not privy too. Lack of personnel available? Limits of available players? Down and distance similarities? Lack of offense? Score was manageable until the end. They tend to show more once offense is going for some reason

Reaction score
What’s probably most disconcerting to me is we gave up more yards rushing than any team the Chargers have faced this season.
Colts 125
Lions 137
Houston 73
Steelers 32
Denver 35
Titans 39
Miami 79
Packers 159

Establishing a solid ground game is a key ingredient to winning because it controls the clock.
(Notice GB only had 3 possessions in the entire 1st half). That led to 35 yards of total Offense on the first 2 combined and 15 yards on possession #3.

Even IF the bend not break mentality was completely planned, it severely limited the # of snaps for our Offense, which in turn keeps them from attaining any sort of rhythm. It’s a failed strategy to keep the ball out of the most talented player on the fields’ hands (unless it’s your opponent) You’d essentially be cutting your own throat to a degree.

As our opponent. The game plan proved valid and provides a template on how to beat us. Control the clock and limit possessions. You don’t even necessarily need to score TD’s for it to work. If you can do both? It’s highly successful.

It’s an old fashioned game of Keep Away. It’s also ironically one key ingredient GB has employed to win games this year. We got a taste of our own medicine.

Latest posts