Mike Pettine's Defence

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah i agree with allowing **** and dunk and bend but don't break.

If you can keep an NFL Offense UNDER 20 points in a game then I'll take it

Which our D has done ASIDE from the Eagles and Lions games, the Raiders and Cowboys were garbage time touchdowns near the end which i'm fine with..

Bend but don't break
This was Matt Moore. We are trying to compete for a championship here. Allowing matt moore to move it up and down the field after 3 practices with the first team is absolutely unacceptable. These are the types of games a veteran coach like Pettine with talent should thrive in. But he can't, because he's a hack. You bend but don't break to great QBs, not Matt Moore. We're going to get killed by a capable play caller with a starting QB, just like we did vs Philadelphia. We have way too much talent and too much invested to bend to every backup and mediocre QBs. You Control the damn game.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason we didn’t win against Philadelphia is because the offense couldn’t score touchdowns.

we’ve played like five playoff teams and beat and four of them. OG winning against an elite quarterback might be difficult wow thanks for the revelation.

If our defense never gives up more than 24 points the rest of the season I feel pretty good about our chances but continue to be miserable in victory and keep praying for the day we lose so you can tell us all you told us so

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason we didn’t win against Philadelphia is because the offense couldn’t score touchdowns.

we’ve played like five playoff teams and beat and four of them. OG winning against an elite quarterback might be difficult wow thanks for the revelation.

If our defense never gives up more than 24 points the rest of the season I feel pretty good about our chances but continue to be miserable in victory and keep praying for the day we lose so you can tell us all you told us so
Philadelphia scored 34 POINTS! That's why we didn't win. I wish you homers would gain a lick of sense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philadelphia scored 34 POINTS! That's why we didn't win. I wish you homers would gain a lick of sense.
You’re right, 1 out of 8 attempts. The defense has work to do they aren’t perfect but keep hoping we lose so you can be right again someday

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You’re right, 1 out of 8 attempts. The defense has work to do they aren’t perfect but keep hoping we lose so you can be right again someday
We've allowed 24 PPG since week 3. That puts us in line with the amazing Redskins defense! But let's forget the fact that GB has been at the top of the league in yards per play and scoring since week 3 by nitpicking one game in which the defense was torched and we had to adjust to the our one receiver being injured (which we've done an incredible job of adjusting to , unlike the defense)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can’t use week 1-3? Somebody else coaching defense then?

offense and turnovers had nothing to do with eagles loss? Special teams? Short fields? All Mike Pettine? Lol

you’re 1 out 8 for the year, who’s bad at their job?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can’t use week 1-3? Somebody else coaching defense then?

offense and turnovers had nothing to do with eagles loss? Special teams? Short fields? All Mike Pettine? Lol

you’re 1 out 8 for the year, who’s bad at their job?
This defense should be dominant. Instead, it's, there. What about it looks like a SB defense to you? With the resources we've poured into it, that should be the bar.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would could should. We’re pretty weak at linebacker and just got one of the best young safeties back from injury. They aren’t finished. We’re solidly in the top Third of defenses in the league. They’re top 12 right now and I figure by years end they’ll be top 12-8, about where I think they should be given the reality of the situation.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would could should. We’re pretty weak at linebacker and just got one of the best young safeties back from injury. They aren’t finished. We’re solidly in the top Third of defenses in the league. They’re top 12 right now and I figure by years end they’ll be top 12-8, about where I think they should be given the reality of the situation.
Always some excuse, something the FO forget to address despite sinking every top draft pick and FA signing imaginable into this defense.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After 8 games, the defense is 22nd in the nfl, 23rd against the run and 20th against the pass. Those are Capers type of performances despite 2 first round draft picks, one of whom looks great and 3 high priced free agents. Despite the massive influx of new talent, the performance has been disappointing. The Packers may eek out enough wins to get back into the playoffs but those types of defenses, as we have seen the past 8 years give up 38-50 when an elite qb comes to town in the playoffs. The underwhelming defensive performance is despite very good health. They don't have injuries as an excuse. Trends are also troubling. Since week 3, sacks are way down and passing yards are up. Again it boils down to how you define success. If you are happy with making the playoffs and getting clobbered then a 22nd ranked defense is ok. If you don't want to waste Rodgers career, then a 22nd rated defense sucks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After 8 games, the defense is 22nd in the nfl, 23rd against the run and 20th against the pass. Those are Capers type of performances despite 2 first round draft picks, one of whom looks great and 3 high priced free agents. Despite the massive influx of new talent, the performance has been disappointing. The Packers may eek out enough wins to get back into the playoffs but those types of defenses, as we have seen the past 8 years give up 38-50 when an elite qb comes to town in the playoffs. The underwhelming defensive performance is despite very good health. They don't have injuries as an excuse. Trends are also troubling. Since week 3, sacks are way down and passing yards are up. Again it boils down to how you define success. If you are happy with making the playoffs and getting clobbered then a 22nd ranked defense is ok. If you don't want to waste Rodgers career, then a 22nd rated defense sucks.
And in the thing that matters most, scoring, what are they?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always some excuse, something the FO forget to address despite sinking every top draft pick and FA signing imaginable into this defense.
what's the excuse? we don't have good inside linebackers, you disagree? you think a guy that can't take on a block or cover a TE or back should be dominant? you're wrong 7 out of 8 times, who's bad at what they do?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And in the thing that matters most, scoring, what are they?
Scoring is a very misleasing stat and won't likely indicate how the defense will play in a playoff game. Packers defense has a huge advantage in scoring because Rodgers doesn't turn the ball over and Scott has been booming punts giving them very long fields to work with. That's why total yards or even yards per play is a better indicator of defensive power.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scoring is a very misleasing stat and won't likely indicate how the defense will play in a playoff game. Packers defense has a huge advantage in scoring because Rodgers doesn't turn the ball over and Scott has been booming punts giving them very long fields to work with. That's why total yards or even yards per play is a better indicator of defensive power.
oh, because Rodgers never fumbles to give the other team scoring position? Special teams never give up long returns? Scott never has 30 yard punts?

Let me fix your quote for you "Scoring is very misleading because it doesn't fit my narrative" Just say that next time.

Nobody is saying this is the best defense in the league and they're certainly better that a few of you could ever admit. But I guess when you can't see it, how would you.

D

Deleted member 6794

He's absolutely terrible. Imagine if Mahomes was out there. The defense is going to kill us in the playoffs, yet again.

The defense struggled at times vs. the Chiefs but you have to realize that Kansas City has a lot of playmakers making it extremely tough for opponents to contain them for 60 minutes.

This was Matt Moore. We are trying to compete for a championship here. Allowing matt moore to move it up and down the field after 3 practices with the first team is absolutely unacceptable. These are the types of games a veteran coach like Pettine with talent should thrive in. But he can't, because he's a hack. You bend but don't break to great QBs, not Matt Moore. We're going to get killed by a capable play caller with a starting QB, just like we did vs Philadelphia. We have way too much talent and too much invested to bend to every backup and mediocre QBs. You Control the damn game.

I'm interested in how the Vikings defense will fare against Moore and the Chiefs this week before overreacting to the Packers allowing 24 points to them.

Field position was a huge factor in that.

The Packers rank 11th in points allowed, which is definitely the most important category, though.

It's ridiculous to suggest that scoring isn't the most important category when evaluating a defense. I don't care about the Packers giving up yards as long as they can keep their opponent out of the end zone.

BTW the defense is in the middle of the pack in average starting position per drive.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
early on the D carried the team. the secondary played a lot of man coverage and blitzed more likely than not. the O was trying to be a big-play offense (mccarthy/rodgers) and was just able to do enough to win. the O's now more focused on moving the chains (mlf/rodgers) and it's resulting in scoring a lot more points. the D on the other hand has become a soft zone D that's giving up yards and points at a much higher rate. sacks and turnover numbers have dropped. maybe it's injury related. i don't know, but it's going to catch up with them. time to get back to pressuring the opposition more. i think the tackling would probably improve too. too much space being given makes things more difficult imo.
Another thing you have to take into consideration is the quarterbacks in these sets of games that you reference.

In the first 3 games, we played Trubisky, Cousins, and Flacco. Not necessarily guys that strike fear in you. Also, the Packers could ill afford to play soft zone and allow sustained drives because we didn't know if the offense could keep up yet in games like that.

Since then, we've played against Wentz (far better than any of the above), Dak (after getting up 31-3, put up a lot of yards in 2nd half), Stafford (played well for much of the game), Oakland (Rodgers was dialed in, much easier to play zone), and Matt Moore (but their playmakers are insanely good).

As I mentioned previously, the defensive approach against Kansas City was sound and smart. Measuring defensive performance isn't always about looking at points scored. It's how to we minimize the potency against guys like Tyreke Hill. And guess what? He never broke loose for a big one, by design.

The Packers would have really been in a bad way if Hill burnt us deep a couple of times.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't the thought before the beginning of the season that if this defense could be in the top 10 that that might be good enough? KC is considered a top team in this league. We went into one of the toughest places for visiting teams to win and came out victorious. This isn't the NCAA. Nobody cares about style points or how good you look doing it. It doesn't matter if you win by 1 or 100. The W is all that is important. And I still think this defense (and offense) is still a work in progress. Unless we get decimated by injuries both units should get better as the season progresses. All we need to do is get in the post season and get on a roll like we did in 2010.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing you have to take into consideration is the quarterbacks in these sets of games that you reference.

In the first 3 games, we played Trubisky, Cousins, and Flacco. Not necessarily guys that strike fear in you. Also, the Packers could ill afford to play soft zone and allow sustained drives because we didn't know if the offense could keep up yet in games like that.

Since then, we've played against Wentz (far better than any of the above), Dak (after getting up 31-3, put up a lot of yards in 2nd half), Stafford (played well for much of the game), Oakland (Rodgers was dialed in, much easier to play zone), and Matt Moore (but their playmakers are insanely good).

As I mentioned previously, the defensive approach against Kansas City was sound and smart. Measuring defensive performance isn't always about looking at points scored. It's how to we minimize the potency against guys like Tyreke Hill. And guess what? He never broke loose for a big one, by design.

The Packers would have really been in a bad way if Hill burnt us deep a couple of times.

KC only scored 7 points in the second half (it should have been only 3 if Tramon doesn't commit that stupid hands to the face foul). The coaches on both sides of the ball made good adjustments as the game progressed and that is a really good sign.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and here I thought games were decided by the score LOL. Rodgers may not turn the ball over much, but when he has, it's been in scoring position in the only game we haven't won. What's our redzone defense like? scores don't matter LOL.

Scott was booming the ball the other night? what was his average? The Packers didn't give the Eagles good field position? do you watch?

This team has some good players, we have some guys that are weak. I think Pettine is pretty good about putting them in a good position to win games with the players and the philosophy they have. But I bet you think King should be locked up 1 on 1 with Hill huh? that would be dominant defense. :)

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine running 6+ DB's on every play says alot about our line backing core, even in goal line situation with a short field we still are running 6+ db's. Sometimes you have make an offence adapt to your defense instead of playing chase all game.

Reaction score
I do agree with you on the part about having to get better. However, a Mediocre QB with premier talent around him (like KC has) is still going to give teams trouble, especially with the edge of playing in KC. I'm not sure if you noticed how loud that fan base is but it just roared on 3rd downs for us. I honestly don't think the game would've been that much different with Mahommes, I still think we could've won against a better echelon QB. Keep in mind we were up 7 and pretty much shut down our own Offense trying to run the clock. We beat down a tired KC defense. We very well could've scored again on the last drive in 4 down territory etc.. Might have been an even score with us holding the ball last etc..
I agree with your point on improving, the red hot 49rs will be our ultimate test IMO. Much can change in 9-10 weeks before playoffs begin

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

WTH? Scoring is by far the most important stat for a defense. Sure certain scores need context but so do many yards that get racked up in crunch time

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
S
The defense struggled at times vs. the Chiefs but you have to realize that Kansas City has a lot of playmakers making it extremely tough for opponents to contain them for 60 minutes.

I'm interested in how the Vikings defense will fare against Moore and the Chiefs this week before overreacting to the Packers allowing 24 points to them.

Field position was a huge factor in that.

The Packers rank 11th in points allowed, which is definitely the most important category, though.

It's ridiculous to suggest that scoring isn't the most important category when evaluating a defense. I don't care about the Packers giving up yards as long as they can keep their opponent out of the end zone.

BTW the defense is in the middle of the pack in average starting position per drive.
Scoring isn't the result of just the defense. Offenses that turn the ball over a lot put their defense in such a bad position that they give up points even if they are good. if not then turnovers wouldn't be so important. While red zone defense has been much better to date than the rest of the field, how long can that last when teams gash Petine's defense on the ground and through the air. Wentz didn't have any problems vs the Packers and I suspect other very good qb's will find the end zone as easily. Is it too much to ask to finally have a defense in the top half of the nfl especially after the massive investments in it. Its ridiculous to suggest that a defense that gets routinely gashed will play out of character in the playoffs against great qb's and be stellar in the red zone. Not going to happen. What's more likely to happen is the dam bursts and we see another 45 put on the board.

Reaction score
What's more likely to happen is the dam bursts and we see another 45 put on the board.
For the record. Nobody has scored more than 34 points against the GB D all season. (3,10,16, 34, 24, 22, 24, 24). Btw, at least 7 of those points were scored by an opposing team inside the 2 minute warning and losing by 3 scores (garbage time)
Let’s take a closer look at the only team in 2019 to score more than 24 points against the GB Defense.
-1 TD Philly started on the GB 34 yard line (Eagles ST set them up)
-1 TD Philly started at their 40 and we had them punting near midfield on 4th and 1 and they called a roughing the Passer on Kenny Clark.. which gifted them inside the GB 40 and a 1st down instead of them punting that series.
-1 TD Rodgers fumbled on his own 21 and the Eagles started inside our Red Zone at our 17 yard line.
That was 3 of their 5 scores where their O had to move the chains 17 yards, 34 yards and 45 yards.
So a total of 95 yards of Eagles Offense equated to 21 points. Also the GB D stuffed them on a 2pt conversion.

It was clearly the GB Offense and ST that struggled that contest. The GB Offense committed 3 Turnovers
In the one game where our D gave up more than 24 points...
The Eagles D gave up 491 yards to us
The Packers D gave up 336 yards to them.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packers in 05? Had number one Def in yards..they were 4 and 12?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts