Mike Pettine's Defence

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Calm down turbo. I said that because it was an obvious situation in which the thread should have been moved or locked. And it was. I have no clue how you came to this conclusion. Smdh.

Calm down yourself kid, I was pulling your leg.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the Packers need to equivalently replace Williams if they decide to let him walk away in free agency but other than that the pass defense should be fine.

I mean, that's a pretty big ask though. Williams was a terrific slot CB for the team last year. Just finding a new one of those players isn't exactly easy, right? It's not like the team has some young, up-and-coming corner on the roster right now to take over.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its funny that Kings perception by the fans is so bad because when compared to Jaire, the stats are nearly identical in every metric. King has more interceptions cuz Jaire seems to be unable to catch them. Both were highly inconsistent in the season but King has the upper hand on Interceptions, TDs allowed and QBR when targeted. jaire is more talented but King is extremely talented too. If they can be consistent for a whole season, GB has one hell of a CB tandem.
Also Chandon Sullivan looks really fricking good. He obviously didnt play as much as king and Jaire but only allowed a 22.6 QBR and 3.2 YPA and zero TDs. That is suprisingly good for someone coming outta nowhere. And Tramon plays insanely well too but is obviously a wildcard cuz of his age. cant do anything wrong with a cheap FA acquisition for depth and a 4-7 round pick but they are set at CB.

Same for the Safeties. One thing that is consistent for every DB is the dropped interceptions. I know you cant nail every play but several DBs have 3 dropped INTs or more which is insane. And that just shows how inconsistent they played. Long story short: The confidence in King and co. is justified.

Could you show me the information you're looking at when you say that King is close to Jaire? Cause when I just glanced at some basic stats over at Pro Football Reference, I see that King gives up a higher completion percentage and almost 3 yards more per target than Alexander. King isn't a bad corner, he's just not a very reliable corner (health and performance) and that makes it tough to rely on him stopping some of the elite receivers he's going to face in many games, especially if Tramon slows down or isn't brought back.

Reaction score
So I guess we're back to wanting that big but long 3/5T. Damn you Mike Neal and Datone Jones for not being able to fill the role you were perfectly physically suited for. And of course some better linebackers. What does the FA class look like--I'm told the draft class is weak.
LB is a thinner crop overall, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be some good ones in the middle rounds. I think that position (LB) should be addressed 2X. If possible, Once in FA and again early day 3 to back it up.

On the dline the team has one great player in Clark, and really needs to upgrade everywhere else.
it’s my opinion that we should consider getting Gary on the field more simultaneous with both Smiths and, or course, Kenny Clark. He’s got a unique blend of raw power and speed that should be showcased more than the 25% snap count range. Gary needs to be much more involved in 2020 and another offseason program should give him the confidence to make another leap. Cutting Fackrell loose should take care of this issue by default.
Also GB would be wise to find another quality veteran DT upgrade to pair with Clark.

Actually, it's a very deep draft at wide receiver, and we can get a very, very good one at pick #30.
Absolutely. If our WR is there at #30 we should look seriously at pulling the trigger.
However, if the value isn’t there we know that many really talented Wideouts will be there all over day 2.
Some creative moving around could net us 3 starters at positions like WR, Center (Linsley departure?), OT (Bulaga’s departure) or LB(Blake’s departure?) etc..
IMO..Our best chance of landing multiple starters would be OT Round1, WR Round2, LB-R3 and C-R4. But obviously the best players left don’t always coincide with positional desires.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it’s my opinion that we should consider getting Gary on the field more simultaneous with both Smiths and, or course, Kenny Clark. He’s got a unique blend of raw power and speed that should be showcased more than the 25% snap count range. Gary needs to be much more involved in 2020 and another offseason program should give him the confidence to make another leap. Cutting Fackrell loose should take care of this issue by default.
Also GB would be wise to find another quality veteran DT upgrade to pair with Clark.

I have mentioned it a few times, but one of the simplest (not necessarily easiest though) ways of getting more athletic on the defense would be if Gary could play DE. He's got the size to do so, it's just whether or not he can learn the position and be willing to do the physically necessary things required of being a 3-4 DE (the kinds of things he didn't really do much of in college). With the success of the Smiths at OLB, Gary needs to learn to play on the dline if the Packers want to be able to get any value from the 12th overall pick.

Another DT to play obvious running downs would be very nice as well. Clark is an amazing player but the Packers are forced to play him too many snaps and it's going to start affecting him at some point. He played the most snaps of any DI player in the NFL last year, and he's not a small DT.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, that's a pretty big ask though. Williams was a terrific slot CB for the team last year. Just finding a new one of those players isn't exactly easy, right? It's not like the team has some young, up-and-coming corner on the roster right now to take over.
You’re right when it comes to Williams. He has defied age at a demanding position and his loss would take a toll. So my preference is that he comes back.

If he doesn’t, they’ll either have to address it in FA or the draft. Problem is, CB is pretty low on the “needs” list this time (ILB, #2 WR, TE, run-topping D lineman, and maybe OT).

With all that said, I think he’ll be back. He’d have a limited market in FA. The Packers can afford a one-year deal that I think he’d accept.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody is going to break the bank on Williams, but he is a high mileage vet that takes exquisite care of himself. he's not going to work for free next year, but he will be working on likely a 1 year contract for someone worth more than a vet minimum I think. I think he has value and would like to bring him back

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody is going to break the bank on Williams, but he is a high mileage vet that takes exquisite care of himself. he's not going to work for free next year, but he will be working on likely a 1 year contract for someone worth more than a vet minimum I think. I think he has value and would like to bring him back
Yeah I certainly hope Gluten offers him more than the vet minimum.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, our defense isn't so great that we can afford to start letting assets go over being cheap.

Reaction score
I have mentioned it a few times, but one of the simplest (not necessarily easiest though) ways of getting more athletic on the defense would be if Gary could play DE. He's got the size to do so, it's just whether or not he can learn the position and be willing to do the physically necessary things required of being a 3-4 DE (the kinds of things he didn't really do much of in college). With the success of the Smiths at OLB, Gary needs to learn to play on the dline if the Packers want to be able to get any value from the 12th overall pick.

Another DT to play obvious running downs would be very nice as well. Clark is an amazing player but the Packers are forced to play him too many snaps and it's going to start affecting him at some point. He played the most snaps of any DI player in the NFL last year, and he's not a small DT.
I believe we’re 2 key pieces away from a top 5 Defense. A #2 DL and a #1 LB. If GB found another Kenny type and used Gary more alongside those two at DE? It would allow lots of freedom for Pettine to use both OLB.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can agree to this statement...but at the same time I put more on the coaching because they saw the same thing in the first meeting and I didn’t see any major adjustments by Pettine.

The Niners had a completely different plan during the regular season meeting than they entered the playoff game with.

I'm absolutely fine with the Packers re-signing Williams to a reasonable deal if they decide it might be difficult to replace him with a player equally talented.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I can agree to this statement...but at the same time I put more on the coaching because they saw the same thing in the first meeting and I didn’t see any major adjustments by Pettine.
Bro..

You okay? You havent been here since then

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, despite seeing positive change in tactics and personnel, I still don't see a big jump in overall quality. It still is a nice step up from DC era, but somehow I feel we are still under performing.

Anyways some quotes from Mike:

https://www.packers.com/news/pettine-the-ball-just-finds-chandon-sullivan

On Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith playing fewer snaps:

I think it's important that your edge guys, your key pass rushers, are fresh late in the game. You're going to win a lot of games if you guys that can rush the passer have their legs late in the game. That's' the goal. Last year, those guys were in good shape. You had to save them from themselves. They wanted to fight you if you were taking them out of the game. It's not just them. We felt Kenny Clark's snaps last year were up there as well. Just looking for ways, without dropping our level of efficiency, to get him some decreased reps as well.

On the edge rushers defending the run and staying aggressive:

Part of it is just their process pre-snap, taking the picture like everybody else does. What personal grouping are they in, what's the down and distance, what's the formation telling them. Having an educated guess on what they're going to get. We don't play laterally and have guys chase their gaps. If we get knock back, if we knock the guard a yard back in the backfield, and end up alter in the down in the wrong gap, we've created separation between him and the linebackers, and the feel of the linebackers is now my gap has changed, from the A to the B. Most guys have a natural feel for how to do that. We feel good about where we are, some of the tweaks we made. We're going to get tested right out of the gate on Sunday.

On Christian Kirksey:

He's a natural leader. We saw that when we drafted him in Cleveland. Now the guy has some time in the league and just knows the NFL game. To the surprise of no one, he's made it as long as he has in the league because of who he is. He's a professional, he takes care of himself. He's everything you're looking for. He's smart, he's tough. We're certainly looking forward to get the best of him this year.

On run defense being about attitude:

It's more than that, but you have to have that mentality, you have to take it personal when teams want to run the ball on you. It's not necessarily what we're playing, but how we're playing it. We want to be able to line up in the most basic front and basic coverage and be able to stop the run. When you throw scheme on top of it to defend a certain team, you hope your results are positive.

On Chandon Sullivan:

He's been a professional. He's always prepared. He's super coachable. He asks the right questions. He's one of those guys the ball just finds him. He's really settled into that slot corner, the nickel role, and he's taken it and run with it. He's been solid.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
after the initial drive they played well but lost it in 4th qtr. soft scheme? lost focus with the big-ish lead? that can't continue. as good as the O was you can't count on only punting once a game. raven green coming back soon will help.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like Pettine or his defense. He should of been canned in February. The safety play against the Vikes was all Alexander, Pettine never dialed up that play. This defense should be better than it is.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't like Pettine or his defense. He should of been canned in February. The safety play against the Vikes was all Alexander, Pettine never dialed up that play. This defense should be better than it is.

The Packers defense finished a very good ninth in points allowed last season and held the Vikings to 10 points after three quarters.

There's no doubt they gave up way too many big plays and points in the fourth quarter but overall the unit has performed pretty well since the start of last season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 things that seem to be a trend with this defense. We start slow almost as if we just wait and see what other teams have planned for us and then they put the clamps down after a possession or 2. and if we're up by a couple scores, they take those clamps completely away or something. We win, but we give up yards and points in the blink with big leads. For the most part, when it really seems to matter, this Defense has been pretty good like the capt. said, since the start of last season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If we can consistently hold teams to 10 points or less in the 1st half, we are going to have a very good season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts