Mike Pettine's Defence

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A set up similar to and yet different than what we saw with Dom Capers.

We lined up with 4 Corners and 2 Safety's and just 1 Linebacker (Blake Martinez) most of game. Seems the plan was to force Bears to run the ball more. Not sure if this will be standard set up or just to exploit pass errors from a young QB or just because we did not have a speedy linebacker with Burks out...but it worked. Probably not as effective as it should have been given Clay's inept performance means we pressured Mitch less than we would have preferred.

vs Vikings:

With a pass catching RB like Dalvin Cook, we'd get beat badly if we ended up with just 1 linebacker. Add in Murray to the mix, I reckon we probably should see Antonio Morrison more.

And Vikings have a better WR set than Bears, which makes it more complex to defend against.

A quick linebacker who can drop into coverage will be sorely missed, imo.

Some good articles if anyone is interested:

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...-bay-rolls-with-3-wrs-and-6-dbs-all-game-long

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...id-injuries-puts-clamps-on-bears-passing-game

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that a DB heavy defense would be susceptible to Cook and the Vikings. Cook isn't exactly a power runner. Safeties can get him on the ground. He's more likely to juke than to truck. A heavy DB, light LB look might actually be better at defending him than the alternative.

But Pettine has stated openly that his defensive design is meant to promote pass defense, and that run defense is secondary. This is the correct philosophy. I know old school coaches will always say that defense starts with stopping the run, but that's not this league anymore. The Bears' running backs ran for 5.35 per carry last night and the offense was mostly useless for the majority of the game. It was Trubisky's wretched 4.9 YPA that sunk them.

Here are last year's PO teams in run defense ranked by yard per carry:

-Titans: 4T
-Chiefs: 23T
-Falcons: 16T
-Rams: 30T
-Jags: 23T
-Saints: 27T
-Bills: 23T
-Panthers: 10T
-Eagles: 6T
-Patriots: 30T
-Steelers: 27T
-Vikings: 5T

Average rank is 19th.

But I do think that Oren Burks will play a lot more as he gets healthy and the season progresses.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One thing I noticed-- House never saw the field. How nice is that to have a solid, veteran corner just waiting up your sleeve? Huge difference from Ladarius Gunter being the #1 cornerback.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
One thing I noticed-- House never saw the field. How nice is that to have a solid, veteran corner just waiting up your sleeve? Huge difference from Ladarius Gunter being the #1 cornerback.
That's all Gute.

We're seeing some of the results from the Gute/Pettine change in leadership already.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't know, House always struck me as a guy who needed to play consistently to be consistent. His bench relief in the past was never inspiring.

That being said I loved seeing Tramon out there. Just a steady steady, Steady player.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although it worked some, This alignment means they don’t have Lbs who can cover...we are also going to see a ton of missed tackles as well with that many DBs on the field. Last night was a perfect example of why you need lbs who can play in pass coverage. I counted about 17 missed tackles.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tackling should improve once we get Burks and Jones back. Oren Burks is that LB who can cover.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cook isn't exactly a power runner. Safeties can get him on the ground. He's more likely to juke than to truck. A heavy DB, light LB look might actually be better at defending him than the alternative.

He caught 6 passes for 55 yards last game. I was thinking it'd be hard for us to track him if they use him to catch short yards. Not sure without a pass coverage linebacker, we'd be able to defend effectively.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He caught 6 passes for 55 yards last game. I was thinking it'd be hard for us to track him if they use him to catch short yards. Not sure without a pass coverage linebacker, we'd be able to defend effectively.

If you have a safety who can tackle, I don't see why you couldn't handle him that way. Brice could do it if he maintains what we saw last night. Until Burks is healthy I think we will just see a safety in a linebacker role (which honestly isn't that much different from what Burks is).

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
since they really couldn't game plan for the bears i'll give the first quarter a pass. after the first two drives, which only netted the bears 10 points btw, they basically shut them down. half the bears yardage came on their first two drive. i'm encouraged.

drakehawkjd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am just fine with Pettine running more defensive backs. In the modern NFL, speed is everything; tackling won't matter if the LBs can't run with the guys they are trying cover. I am much more comfortable with Williams, King, Jackson, Alexander, Clinton-Dix, and Brice on the field because they should be able to run with about anyone the opposition puts out on the field. If anything should change, I would take out Brice and put in Burks.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After yesterday, despite the last Q collapse, I'm finally seeing the light in our defence. We are just one or two pieces away from not just a good, but a great defence. With Oren Burks & Josh Jones back, this defence is very underrated imo. I reckon we have enough to carry us deep into playoff's this season.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holding the Vikes to only 7 points after 3 Quarters is damn impressive. The collaps in the last quarter was due to the inability of Offense to get the ball going. Defence was gassed cuz they played so much.
In my opinion the team needs just one very good pass rusher and the defence is stacked. DBs are looking really good, especially the rookies.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The collaps in the last quarter was due to the inability of Offense to get the ball going.

Heat probably didn't help much for either side. Both teams had 3 scoring drives in the 4th quarter, just that the Vikings were TDs and the Packers were FGs.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D was good yesterday. if you take away everything after the game deciding Clay ref error play, that should have ended the game, cousins would have had less than 290 yards and two ints. very encouraged.

D

Deleted member 6794

Holding the Vikes to only 7 points after 3 Quarters is damn impressive. The collaps in the last quarter was due to the inability of Offense to get the ball going. Defence was gassed cuz they played so much.

The defense was on the field for only 73 snaps including overtime. In my opinion they shouldn't have been gassed during the fourth quarter.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sure seemed like they were on the field a lot more towards the latter half of the game than the first, and under direct sun and 80+ temps, i bet they were feeling it

D

Deleted member 6794

sure seemed like they were on the field a lot more towards the latter half of the game than the first, and under direct sun and 80+ temps, i bet they were feeling it

Well, while it was pretty warm on Sunday it wasn't like they played in similar conditions as in Jacksonville.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's the 2nd game of the year for many of these guys and when did we last play jacksonville? I know they've played in hot games before. Half the stadium was gassed just from watching the game and sitting there.

D

Deleted member 6794

it's the 2nd game of the year for many of these guys and when did we last play jacksonville?

I was actually referring to the Jaguars vs. Patriots game on Sunday which was the hottest in franchise history.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts