Mike Mcglynn

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heard a report he will be visiting Packers this week. Was a guard for the colts who did get some playing time at center. 6'4 325 pounds. 7 year vet.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That guy has been awful during his entire NFL career and hasn´t played center regularly since 2010. No, thanks.

I don't know anything about the guy but this is about what I expected. Just a guy who has some experience who can be plugged in if need be. Will probably come dirt cheap if he signs and will compete for a backup job. I'm fine with it if he signs.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's just a guy. Versatile backup center who could probably be a mediocre backup at C and both guard positions.

That may not sound valuable, but it's better than having to shuffle the offensive line mid-game and move Lang completely out of position. So I'd have no problem with this.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

WOW...really? That's what you come up with? Like we all didn't know about that one?
For the record, I am not a TT hater, I just disagree with all the El-cheapo guys he give a half *** effortless look at and brings them in. Sure they are cheap, but you don't get anything out of them. Where are they gunna be after camp or after preseason? On the bus home. I'm not advocating bringing in some billion dollar budget buster, but there is some quality left out there and their prices are going down......so why not even entertain at least a name brand? As far as peppers is concerned: I like the guy as a player and the force he once was. I have spent many years enjoying watching him here in NC.......But....He is well past his prime. Will he make the opposing offense give him a glance, sure they will, will he be the 3 year 30 mil threat that type of money commands, NO. That is what gets me burned up about TT. Spend 30 mil on a over the football hill veteran that is CLEARLY declining quickly or go K-mart shopping for a no-name team hopper for league minimums..... is there no middle ground? Hell, now we have to import a new scheme that may or may not work because of peppers..... he does not really fit into our style defense......now you want an old dog doing new tricks? Just remember: I do like TT, just not his way of shopping and I do like peppers, but he is not even close to being worth his contract.

Last edited:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
He's just a guy. Versatile backup center who could probably be a mediocre backup at C and both guard positions.

That may not sound valuable, but it's better than having to shuffle the offensive line mid-game and move Lang completely out of position. So I'd have no problem with this.

QB and center chemistry is vital. If this guy has no real stats to look at, and has been with 3 teams in 5 seasons..... that might tell ya a little something right there. If guys are good, why would they be team hoppers. Tells me he wasnt good enough to earn contracts to stay where he was....even if he was a back up or a starter...... he is nothing more than a TT special. Basically an economy rental car..... used and abused and comes cheap, wont last long and has nothing to show.

Also, he was BENCHED last year for poor performance and replaced by some guy named Linkenbach.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

WOW...really? That's what you come up with? Like we all didn't know about that one?
For the record, I am not a TT hater, I just disagree with all the El-cheapo guys he give a half *** effortless look at and brings them in. Sure they are cheap, but you don't get anything out of them. Where are they gunna be after camp or after preseason? On the bus home. I'm not advocating bringing in some billion dollar budget buster, but there is some quality left out there and their prices are going down......so why not even entertain at least a name brand? As far as peppers is concerned: I like the guy as a player and the force he once was. I have spent many years enjoying watching him here in NC.......But....He is well past his prime. Will he make the opposing offense give him a glance, sure they will, will he be the 3 year 30 mil threat that type of money commands, NO. That is what gets me burned up about TT. Spend 30 mil on a over the football hill veteran that is CLEARLY declining quickly or go K-mart shopping for a no-name team hopper for league minimums..... is there no middle ground? Hell, now we have to import a new scheme that may or may not work because of peppers..... he does not really fit into our style defense......now you want an old dog doing new tricks? Just remember: I do like TT, just not his way of shopping and I do like peppers, but he is not even close to being worth his contract.

While I agree with you that I´m not a big fan of the Peppers signing either, the only guaranteed money in the deal is the $8.5 million he will get paid this year.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
While I agree with you that I´m not a big fan of the Peppers signing either, the only guaranteed money in the deal is the $8.5 million he will get paid this year.

Yes, but are we only gunna get this year out of him and then hope that he retires and we wont have to get into the meaty part of his contract? Still not the smartest move....

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, but are we only gunna get this year out of him and then hope that he retires and we wont have to get into the meaty part of his contract? Still not the smartest move....

I don´t expect him to be around in 2015 when his cap hit would increase to $12 million.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He'd have to have a dominant year in order to be back IMO.
Right and a Packers fan 'hopes that doesn't happen'. :rolleyes: I hope Peppers has a fantastic year which ripples throughout the defense. And if that happens, his deal can be modified to lessen the cap hit.

It is inconsistent to criticize Thompson for being cheap (which is ridiculous on it's face - see Rodgers & Matthews contracts) while criticizing him for spending too much on Peppers. As I said, Thompson haters have to update their schtick. And if you aren't a Thompson hater how 'bout not criticizing him for a move he hasn't made?

I don't know anything about Mcglynn but it's costs them nothing to bring him in and take a look. And if they do sign him, pay him little or no guaranteed money and they end up cutting him...

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is inconsistent to criticize Thompson for being cheap (which is ridiculous on it's face - see Rodgers & Matthews contracts) while criticizing him for spending too much on Peppers. As I said, Thompson haters have to update their schtick. And if you aren't a Thompson hater how 'bout not criticizing him for a move he hasn't made?

This entire paragraph completely sums up TT as GM of the Green Bay Packers... He's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Anything other then signing the top 3 FA's in every single offseason, and hitting on 75% of his picks isn't good enough for some. He's held to a standard that no GM could ever live up to. Haters gon hate and that's just reality. I'm learning to really accept it because it won't change. People will have their opinions no matter how ridiculous they may be so it is what it is I guess.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Right and a Packers fan 'hopes that doesn't happen'. :rolleyes: I hope Peppers has a fantastic year which ripples throughout the defense. And if that happens, his deal can be modified to lessen the cap hit.

I don't know anything about Mcglynn but it's costs them nothing to bring him in and take a look. And if they do sign him, pay him little or no guaranteed money and they end up cutting him...

Ummm..... rodgers and matthews are NOT Peppers. 1: peppers is not one of our core players 2: We didn't draft and develope him 3: He is not a face of the franchise 4: #12 and #52 are not "football old".

Peppers may add some needed swagger to the defense, Which I hope he does. ...but betting on a declining player who is going to be playing outside of his normal scheme that he has played in his entire career, paying him (over paying) for being situational (according to many packer sources)....all that is risky. I understand without risk there is no reward....but peppers is not the answer. I really hope he plays well and adds a spark, and I hope his record of durability hold up as well.

and as far Mcglynn goes...... just another waste of time, just like the no-namers that never panned out last season. Dust in the wind players. We could utilze time better by giving guys with known value a look and hopefully an offer. There are numerous guys that hold a better track record that could be looked at and be had for a decent price......but, you get what you pay for.

D

Deleted member 6794

I want Peppers to have a dominant year, but after his decline in play over the last few season I do have doubts he´s capable of doing it.

I´ve never wanted Thompson to go out a sign an over-the-hill 34-year old free agent to a lucrative contract, so I don´t think it´s inconsistent to criticize him now for the move. I would have liked to sign some veteran help to reasonable deals at ILB and safety, while I wouldn´t have had any problem with him going after Byrd.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´ve never wanted Thompson to go out a sign an over-the-hill 34-year old free agent to a lucrative contract, so I don´t think it´s inconsistent to criticize him now for the move. I would have liked to sign some veteran help to reasonable deals at ILB and safety, while I wouldn´t have had any problem with him going after Byrd.

But isn't signing a guy like Byrd, I'll admit I would have like this also, exactly what will create the cap issues that have been talked about here and put signing our core players in jeopardy?

D

Deleted member 6794

But isn't signing a guy like Byrd, I'll admit I would have like this also, exactly what will create the cap issues that have been talked about here and put signing our core players in jeopardy?

First of all I think that Byrd would have become one of our core players immediately. Normally signing guys like Peppers to contracts like the Packers did this offseason will lead to cap issues as it will have cap implications even when Peppers isn´t on our roster anymore.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I don't know how much difference there would have been signing peppers for his contract and that which Byrd got. Seems to me, they are similar in pay....but one would have addressed a NEED moreso than the other. More plus side to Byrd IMO.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all I think that Byrd would have become one of our core players immediately. Normally signing guys like Peppers to contracts like the Packers did this offseason will lead to cap issues as it will have cap implications even when Peppers isn´t on our roster anymore.

Oh I agree completely but at the cost of who I guess I meant. Does Randall no get resigned or Bulaga or Lacy down the line. The TT philosophy along with some of the big upside guys we currently have that still need to get paid means he really needs to be cautious regading free agnecy.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I´ve never wanted Thompson to go out a sign an over-the-hill 34-year old free agent to a lucrative contract, so I don´t think it´s inconsistent to criticize him now for the move.
But you don't criticize nearly every Thompson move - and non-moves - in a knee jerk fashion. That's what's inconsistent.

Staff online

Latest posts