Mike McCarthy

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he has a very young team and we really need another year to really tell how he is...

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't expect much from him, so he's about as good as I expected.

He's a rookie HC with the youngest team in the league. I expected the players to play inconsistent, and they have. I also expected MM to be outcoached at times, and he has.

I also expect to see improvement from the players and coaches. So far I've seen improvement from some of the players. The coaches are getting better at evaluating situations and being unpredictable.

At this point I'd like to start seeing more consistency. The remaining games will determine if that will be the case.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess sense I picked one I would say that he needs another year to prove it. And for me that is being open with him. I expect normally a coach to come in and turn a team around after about a half a season. But with all the young guys on this team I give him more slack. I still wish that my before season wish would have came true and we would have gotten Bates...I still wish we had him instead. but hey im just a fan and I gotta live with what they give.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, he needs another year to see if he has what it takes to get this team back to respectibility. If next year they still stink, then......OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!! (Just kidding!)

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say give him another year. Its not easy to rebuild. it make take longer than a year. When Favre goes, we will have to start from scratch.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Someone always has to ruined a good thread.

Anyhow, for those who voted and posted on topic, thanks. I can't say I'm surprised by the results though. I figured fans were more level headed than the content in some of the posts on this forum. :)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
i never posted...but i voted for as good as can be expected...I didnt expect him to take the team and win the division, but also didnt expect a very complete melt down for the entire year...so while I was thinking 7-9 I am okay with his job with what he was given..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
for all those that said at least one more year..

lets say Brett does retire, do you give Mm just the one year option still?

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Most excellent point!

It will be Rodgers third year in the NFL an no starts.
The OL will have a year maturity as will many rookies an second year guys, obviously.

I think even with a new QB at the helm we should still be in playoff contention next year. However, if we don't make it, I wouldn't hold it on McCarthy IF and this is a BIG IF, if we lost games BECAUSE of the QB position. If we lost games that took us out of playoff contention because of poor defense or lack of solid special teams, then I say he's not doing what he's expected to do.

Although, this is all irrelevent as Brett WILL play next year! :)

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Great question. I never thought of this.

My gut says next year has to be an improvement with or without Favre because the team should overall be much better and McCarthy is a very good Quarterbacks coach. He should have Rodgers well prepared.

I also factor in that Rodgers has caught onto this system very well (according to most sources) and that makes me think he's ready for a year to prove himself as the starter.

Very good question though.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Zero....

( this is all based on if Brett doesnt come back)

MM's skill is suppose to be working with q/b and getting them to do good..Now if it is Rosdgers, or???? and that q/b falls flat on their face, MM has to be a big blame factor in that..And when they fall and the team sucks , IMO MM failed the TEAM as a whole..

So I would be sort of hard pressed to give him a 3rd year...But it all depends on lot of factors as you said..Special teams, defense...

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm torn between: He's making the most with what he has and Need another year to prove his worth

me too, tbh. i think it's a combination of both - he's got a young team, he's new to the job, so he's making the most with what he has. therefore, he needs another year to prove what he's got.

did that make an ounce of sense?? ;)

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero....

MM's skill is suppose to be working with q/b and getting them to do good..Now if it is Rosdgers, or???? and that q/b falls flat on their face, MM has to be a big blame factor in that..And when they fall and the team sucks , IMO MM failed the TEAM as a whole..

So I would be sort of hard pressed to give him a 3rd year...But it all depends on lot of factors as you said..Special teams, defense...

I see what you're saying, but didn't Mike pass on Rodgers once already?

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Rogers will be like the chargers QB (can't think of his name) and come in and play that good. If rogers would start,the Packers go 2 steps backward,on the offense.JMO

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Zero....

I see what you're saying, but didn't Mike pass on Rodgers once already?

If you mean in the draft while he was in Frisco??

Not to sure you can say HE passed on him..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think Rogers will be like the chargers QB (can't think of his name) and come in and play that good. If rogers would start,the Packers go 2 steps backward,on the offense.JMO

Trouble is no one really knows..but i think a safe bet would be that he wont be like Rivers

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

Great question. I never thought of this.

My gut says next year has to be an improvement with or without Favre because the team should overall be much better and McCarthy is a very good Quarterbacks coach. He should have Rodgers well prepared.

I also factor in that Rodgers has caught onto this system very well (according to most sources) and that makes me think he's ready for a year to prove himself as the starter.

Very good question though.

Rodgers will be in his first year and there's no guarantee how good he will be. He played this year and is out for the year, and what he has done wasn't that impressive.

He is a big question mark in my book, and I've had doubts that he will ever make it in the NFL.

I think if Brady Quinn is available in the draft next year, the Packers should grab him.

Or possibly make a trade for another QB that comes available....

Simms from TB maybe, or Lorentzen from the NY Giants comes to mind...

There may be others too...

I just don't think Rodgers is the future of the GB Packers, and Ingle Martin is definitely not an option.

Latest posts