Mike McCarthy

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree PJack? I thought "Fire his @ss" was the consensus response when a coach does something you don't like, one time, in one game. No?

SVang_8704

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh McCarthy is horrible this season, so inconsistent and uncreative...if Rodgers doesn't make plays we lose because we've been outcoached...also does he have beef with Starks? Why isn't he out workhorse?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Eh McCarthy is horrible this season, so inconsistent and uncreative...if Rodgers doesn't make plays we lose because we've been outcoached...also does he have beef with Starks? Why isn't he out workhorse?
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or genuine ignorance... :cautious:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Right you are. And it has nothing to do with all the ******* injuries....

Hmmm......yes and no one that one Bozz. He can't employ all the plays that take time to develope when our O line can't give Arod the time for certain plays. That may not be all of it, and yes his play calling on certain downs and distance has been suspect, but I do beleive some of it has to do with certain players being out of action.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we could easily lure Ray Rhodes or Mike Sherman back here with a HC offer. :cool:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I think we could easily lure Ray Rhodes or Mike Sherman back here with a HC offer. :cool:
Ummm, NO......hell NO. MM is a good coach, that is proven, look at his record since coming here. He is in a tough spot right now with a lot of his key tools broken. Trying to fix a high performance engine with only a swiss army knife aint gunna work. The only thing I don't like is the way he gets to conservative with even a marginal lead.....foot on the gas baby!!!.....my opinion.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummm, NO......hell NO. MM is a good coach, that is proven, look at his record since coming here. He is in a tough spot right now with a lot of his key tools broken. Trying to fix a high performance engine with only a swiss army knife aint gunna work. The only thing I don't like is the way he gets to conservative with even a marginal lead.....foot on the gas baby!!!.....my opinion.
I was not serious. LOL But thought it could provide a bit of a reality check here. Heck, I would take MM over Holmy even. No, he is not perfect - what coach is, other than the evil Belichick. My gripe with MM is his goofy play calling on 3rd and short in 4-down territory. We often end up punting or trying some 50+ FG. Two runs by Starks (or short screen passes) gives us about a 95% of getting the first down - compare this to about a 60% chance of a deep pass - it is a matter of probability and some game theory. Another area that I scratch my head on is at the close of the first half. We have the ball on our own 10 yd line and we are calling all our time outs, only to give the other team a shot with about 40 seconds and good field position. Again, probabilities - burn the clock up since chance of doing anything is slim. So ironically, I think he is not conservative enough at certain times. He can't please us all can he!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't believe the doubts for MM.

Right now I look at the major factors for the underperforming Offense. (in order of importance)

1. OLine coaching - these guys (Barclay withstanding) don't seem to get up to speed very fast or gel cohesively. Run blocking is abysmal.

2. WR coach - new guy here, the WRs are just different this year. Don't know if its OC play design or its the WRs just aren't getting separation. I just know that AR is getting fewer and smaller targets to work with.

3. Injuries - Loss of Benson/Jennings/Bulaga and others is very significant

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They also haven't won a SB and have a QB controversy. Teams great. But they haven't had the injuries the packers have.

Rodgers needs to release the ball quicker. The line needs to get healthy. The offense will change with Greg back in the line up. I was so so on paying him next season, but we might need to.
The Vikings announcers pointed out something we really did not see in Rodgers in the last couple years. Instead of spotting the open receiver after his first look he is " watching the rush ". What this means is he is shell shot. 37 sacks and you are on nightwatch to see who will break into the house. He has lost faith in his protection fearful of whom will side swipe him at any second.
I never saw this last season. But after he was stripped of the ball in that Giant playoff game suddenly he is a deer looking into the headlights.

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once and for all, Philbin has nothing to do with it.

It amazes me how people just can't analyze that the PACKERS ARE PLAYING DIFFERENT DEFENSES THIS YEAR. Last year they faced a slate of teams that was 27th hardest against the pass. This year, so far, the Packers have faced the 6th toughest slate of teams against the pass, and THE top 5 defenses against the pass in the first 9 games. And once they got past that grinder, they lose two players a game for the year (hyperbole for effect). The simple reality is the Packers had a marshmallow slate of teams against the pass last year, and it a pretty stiff slate this year. That's all there is to it. You have to measure what teams can do AGAINST THE RESISTANCE they encounter.

Packers' offensive ranks per footballoutsiders' DVOA after 12 games -

2012 - 4th
2011 - 1st
2010 - 5th
2009 - 6th

Why? BECAUSE THEY TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE RESISTANCE PLAYED.

If you don't analyze what is happening in a complete way, you then are ripe for silly conclusions like Joe Philbin is suddenly Bill Walsh 2.0. It's the same thing with people using bad observation to turn Cullen Jenkins into the 2nd coming of Reggie White. Both Philbin and Jenkins are fine fellows and weren't boat anchors by any means, they just aren't the single reason for season to season fluctuations.

To drive the point home further, everyone was pulling their hair out over all the yardage between the 20's last year. Well, the Packers are playing much more pedestrian offenses this year and so they don't look so bad in that one factor alone, but they are still giving up about the same amount of points, which matters a whole lot more. But people suddenly think the D is much improved. It's simply the differences in the slate of teams played.

But whoever the Packers have played since 2009, and however they look, they have a consistent tendency to WIN which is what matters. Tied for the most wins, regular and post-season since 2009.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or genuine ignorance... :cautious:
I'm having a hard time figuring that one out on alot of posts. I figured after the first one everybody was being their sarcastic best.
He's too conservative, he's too risky. Call dumb plays that don't work. Is lost without Philbin. Doesn't have a a hold of position coaches and the entire thing is just falling down because they lost 4 games through 12?
What's a fan to do?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's a terrible coach who is a mustache away from being Andy Reid. Winning covers up a lot of his horrible play-calling. I'm begging him to drop the "inside handoff to John Kuhn" play from the playbook. After dropping that play, get rid of the "Mason Crosby 50 yard field goal attempts".

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy has to be one of the best at making halftime adjustments. This game felt just like the Falcons game last year, the team was getting destroyed in the first half, then he makes the adjustments and the Lions don't score a TD the rest of the game. I'd like to see the Packers start off better, of course, but I held out hope in this game that if the Packers could get it to halftime close, they'd turn it around, and they did.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing I think that could be improved is maybe adjust during the game and not wait until half time. And it might not be his fault but on a lot (not all) of 3rd downs it seems the play is much longer than needed for a 1st and when that happens most of the time it doesn't work. Just get the 1st down so we can keep the ball.

Reaction score
The problem with MM is that he has to make the Packers suck the first half before he figures a team out. That is poor game planning.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's a terrible coach who is a mustache away from being Andy Reid. Winning covers up a lot of his horrible play-calling. I'm begging him to drop the "inside handoff to John Kuhn" play from the playbook. After dropping that play, get rid of the "Mason Crosby 50 yard field goal attempts".

The "inside handoff to John Kuhn" tonight occurred one time tonight up by 10 with 2 minutes left when we had no other agenda other than to protect the ball.

As far as some people are concerned, MM can't win. Crosby misses the 51 yarder, so MM is an idiot for trying. If he goes for it on 4th and 10 and doesn't get it, he's an idiot for not trying to take 3 within Crosby's range. If he punts and Masthay kicks it into the endzone, he's an idiot for giving away a scoring chance for 14 yards of field position. Any play call that doesn't work is a horrible play call.

The hate for MM is stunning to me. Whether you like the playcalling or not, coaching is a lot more -- part of which is team chemistry and keeping an injury-riddled team together and performing at a high level.

Are you longing for the Ray Rhodes and Mike Sherman days? We have won 30 out of our last 36 games. It's been the entire system -- the coaching staff, the players, the chemistry, everything. We are very lucky to have TT and MM. I think we have become incredibly spoiled as a fanbase.

If you think he's a terrible coach, you must think TT is an incredible GM at being able to put together such a talented team to overcome MM's vast shortcomings.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
JLC, I think the Crosby comment may be an overreaction, but I fully agree with the Kuhn sentiment. Why not just use Grant?

While I agree there need to be more in-game adjustments, I find RITH's comment highly offensive

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JLC, I think the Crosby comment may be an overreaction, but I fully agree with the Kuhn sentiment. Why not just use Grant?

While I agree there need to be more in-game adjustments, I find RITH's comment highly offensive

I don't agree with using Kuhn as an H-back ever either, but I couldn't care less about the one touch he got tonight. There were 2 minutes left and up by 10 and they had nothing in mind other than protecting the football and getting out of there.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't agree with using Kuhn as an H-back ever either, but I couldn't care less about the one touch he got tonight. There were 2 minutes left and up by 10 and they had nothing in mind other than protecting the football and getting out of there.
It was 2nd and around 8 with just over 2 mins left on the clock. Get a decent run and make the first down and the game was over. I'd rather not place the ball anywhere near Stafford's hands. We knew they'd call time regardless of what happened

Members online

Latest posts