1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mike McCarthy will call packers offensive plays.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackerLegend, May 11, 2006.

?

Do you think McCarthy should be calling our offensive plays?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Packers.com reports Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy said he will call offensive plays during the games for the 2006 season.

Does anybody agree, disagree that this is a good idea?

2. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He is an ex offensive coordinator and Jagz was brought in mostly for his o-line work, so i don't see why not.

3. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    it's a good idea by default at the very least...i mean, who else would call 'em? who else is qualified/experienced?

4. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    I agree with this move. Reason: he's an experience OC, Jags isn't. I think after this year and maybe most of year two he should call the plays and then turn it over to jags.

5. DakotaT

DakotaT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody remember that great offensive coordinator Sherm Lewis? What exactly did he do besides watch Holmgren calling plays.

McCarthy calling plays should not be a problem. If Jags gets that O-line on the same page and the running game going, I for one will be extremely happy.

6. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I think he should get on a cell phone with Tom Rossley and let him call the plays.

7. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good one, DePack.

A pre-emptive strike?

8. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Thought I would wake the boys up ....kinda kick-start the forum this morning!!!

9. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    lol you're always kickstarting us depack :)

10. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    yeah.... he .... is ... :(

11. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good to me, McCarthy has a little more experience than Jags and obviously has a vision for what he wants to see on offense.

12. PWT36

PWT36 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    In a Chris Havel' Commentary column in Green Bay Press-Gazette on April 2, 2006 entitled "McCarthy putting his stamp on the Packers." Chris Havel said McCarthy will call the plays
    & Mc Carthy will call the plays from the sidelines .

Mc Carthy said the Quarterback -play caller relationship is vital. McCarthy went on to explain how his system between the Quarterback and himself works.

The article explained McCarthy's system, but I am getting Chris Havel commentary articles from my copies of the the Green Bay Press-Gazette. Chris Havel commentary is in premium part of packersnewsforum which means you have to pay for those articles if you wish to see them on your computor.

I guess, I assumed just about all Packer fans knew McCarthy was going to call the plays, since it was announced quite a while back, I guess some of us slipped up on putting this fact out on the PF.

I have been considering putting a story on Mike McCarthy in PWT 36 commentary on PFnews . As well as, commentaries on Ted Thompson , Brett Favre, Robert Harlan and others in Packer organization.

I posted a series of commentaries on history of Green Bay Packers from 1919 to 1923 a while back on PF news. I said, in my first commentary that I would not just post about history of the Packers, that I would also post commentaries about things now going on with the Green Bay Packers.

A PWT36 commentary on new Packer head Coach will be first one about present Green Bay Packer topics.

13. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I love you PWT36

14. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    :lol:

thats adorable!

and scary too!

15. calicheesehead

calicheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bottom line is the guy in the booth is removed to a degree from the action, emotions, and momentum of the game. I never liked it when someone other than those on the field are calling plays.

16. thetombradyhater

thetombradyhater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    he is the best person to call the plays

17. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    It is his system, he has experience, and he should call the shots.

18. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Yup.....i agree. He should have control, and see how it works. I think Favre will have plenty of input on what plays are called too.

19. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i like it as well. like somebody else said - it sure worked out well for holmgren!! just wondering though - on the defensive side of the ball - do those players ever get "jealous" or feel "left out" when the head coach puts his all into the offense? or am i just a girl & reading too much into the emotional side of it?!? :shrug: