Mike McCarthy = The Real MVP?

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He definitely called an outstanding game, had a great scheme. Outside of struggles in the redzone, the offense moved the ball easily and effectively against a good Patriots defense. He should get a game ball for sure and is the #1 stud in this game(to me).

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this the end of Hawk being on the field all the time?

Hawk hadn’t been carrying his weight from a physical standpoint for weeks. The 23-yard completion across his face by Vikings tight end Kyle Rudolph a week ago might have been the last straw.

However it went down, the final call on who plays is McCarthy’s.

When the Packers played nickel, which was their most common defense, Hawk was on the sideline and Sam Barrington was next to Clay Matthews.

The Patriots ripped off one first down to open the game, then LeGarrette Blount pounded for 6. On the next play, Shane Vereen ran inside and Sam Barrington delivered a jarring blow that set up third and 2.

This time, Barrington scraped into the left-side A gap and stopped the 250-pound Blount dead in his tracks for no gain. Those two hits by Barrington, who at 240 outweighs Hawk by about 10 pounds, are the kind that the nine-year veteran now seems incapable of making.

OP
OP
PackCrazed4

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He definitely called an outstanding game, had a great scheme. Outside of struggles in the redzone, the offense moved the ball easily and effectively against a good Patriots defense. He should get a game ball for sure and is the #1 stud in this game(to me).

Agreed. He takes a ton of flack for calling conservative, predictable games, but, if anything, this was a reflection of MM's incredible precision when rising to the challenge of titan opponents. In spite of all the struggles we had in the red zone, the fact that we maintained the tempo and never let the momentum swing, nor allow the Pats to get ahead once... that's a pretty remarkable accomplishment against a master strategist like Bill Belichick. Kudos all around.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Countering BB's defensive gameplan with the creative use of Cobb in the backfield to change the matchups was one of his best calls ever.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Agreed. He takes a ton of flack for calling conservative, predictable games, but, if anything, this was a reflection of MM's incredible precision when rising to the challenge of titan opponents. In spite of all the struggles we had in the red zone, the fact that we maintained the tempo and never let the momentum swing, nor allow the Pats to get ahead once... that's a pretty remarkable accomplishment against a master strategist like Bill Belichick. Kudos all around.
You know I've been Sparky's biggest critic...but I'll give credit where credit is due! ;)

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kudos to MM. I mentioned it in chat during the game yesterday. He did a great job of play calling. Great job Mike;)

Pacal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great article from the Boston Globe breaking down MM's game scheme from last night's Lambeau Classic. McCarthy knew he had to take a fine tooth comb to the playbook and revitalize some old moves to keep pace with Belichick, and it certainly paid off:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...ave-reviews/kvzzCIesL7IrgQcOu9F1WI/story.html

That article is a republication of Bob McGinn's Milwaukee Journal Sentinel column....

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/284263211.html

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You know I've been Sparky's biggest critic...but I'll give credit where credit is due!;)
Well shame on you twice: First for calling him names and second for being his biggest critic. Here’s a column by Greg Bedard to provide some perspective: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/01/mike-mccarthy-green-bay-packers/ And a quote:
McCarthy, with a career winning percentage of .655 (91-48-1), is now second among active coaches who have coached more than four years and 15th all-time, just behind Belichick (.658, 208-108-0).
I don't know if you lived through the dark ages (post Lombardi/pre Harlan) but most of those who did don't need perspective.

OP
OP
PackCrazed4

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well shame on you twice: First for calling him names and second for being his biggest critic. Here’s a column by Greg Bedard to provide some perspective: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/01/mike-mccarthy-green-bay-packers/ And a quote: I don't know if you lived through the dark ages (post Lombardi/pre Harlan) but most of those who did don't need perspective.

Easy, Jack, no one is perfect, and McCarthy has had his moments in the past. We don't have to give incessant praise just because we're in a better situation than the 70s and 80s. We've been at the top of the NFL food chain for over 20 years now, it's ok to hold our coaches and players to the standards they've set for themselves. Having said that, McCarthy deserves a boat load of love for this team's progression this season. Just fantastic.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Easy, Jack, no one is perfect, and McCarthy has had his moments in the past.
I never said he was perfect. But look at his record as HC. Just because the Packers have been successful doesn't mean they couldn't regress. IMO being his "biggest critic" shows a lack of perspective.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I am not ready to crown him coach of the year and its nice to give MM some props when due BUT, one week he is a genius the next week hang him, then genius, then fire him, I going to wait and be optimistic, one thing I would like for him to give thought to, is hiring a wrestling coach as a TACKLING instructor, they do teach people take downs....

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that is Jack's point. There really aren't many people except on the fringe calling for McCarthy to be hanged or fired. Trust me, every coach gets the fire breath from his team's fan base. There is a distinct line between wanting more and thinking a coach should be fired for having "moments" of imperfection.

Mike pulled some tricks out of his bag for this game. As said, running some routes out of the backfield with Cobb and taking what the defense gave us made the win. McCarthy earned this win with more innovation than he usually shows.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Well shame on you twice: First for calling him names and second for being his biggest critic. Here’s a column by Greg Bedard to provide some perspective: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/01/mike-mccarthy-green-bay-packers/ And a quote: I don't know if you lived through the dark ages (post Lombardi/pre Harlan) but most of those who did don't need perspective.

What is going on with people lately?!? Seriously can't take some kidding around??

The nickname Sparky goes way back... and yes I've criticized him in the past...and apparently he listened! :sneaky:
No one is perfect , so r-e-l-a-x and don't take things so literal...
We just beat the Pats for the love...time for celebration!;)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7thFloor's comment about McCarthy making the matchups was spot on. They picked on Ninkovich for two big plays, the 28 yard pass to Starks out of the backfield and the big one to Cobb as well.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not ready to crown him coach of the year and its nice to give MM some props when due BUT, one week he is a genius the next week hang him, then genius, then fire him, I going to wait and be optimistic, one thing I would like for him to give thought to, is hiring a wrestling coach as a TACKLING instructor, they do teach people take downs....

I'll take the job!

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im seeing a different MM, his conservative play calling second half has went out the window. he has added screen plays, he's using different formations to create match ups. He's letting arod loose. MM is doing well.

Members online

Latest posts