Mike McCarthy refocusing Green Bay Packers' offense on basics

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...efocusing-green-bay-packers-offense-on-basics

"When asked about how this offense will improve, McCarthy said: "The best plays are still the basic plays. It's not the design of the play. It's what everybody can do with that design ... That's what we have to get back to -- winning with the fundamentals, with players and not plays."

Sounds similar to this passage in "Vince" by Michael O'Brien (1987): "....Vince redefined the staff's goals: "We may not know any more about football than most of the other coaches in the league, but ....we can put everything we know together so it makes good basic sense and then drill-drill-drill it into them."

I hope MM is serious about this.

(The book is must reading for all real Packers fans.)

D

Deleted member 6794

"When asked about how this offense will improve, McCarthy said: "The best plays are still the basic plays. It's not the design of the play. It's what everybody can do with that design ... That's what we have to get back to -- winning with the fundamentals, with players and not plays."

I expect the offense to be significantly improved over last year's unit mainly because of Nelson hopefully returning to full strength, Lacy being in better shape and the addition of Cook.

Hopefully the coaching staff is more open to making adjustments in case of the offense struggling at times though.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense will return to form and then some this upcoming season. Rodgers is in his prime. Lacy looks motivated and Starks is a worthy backup. At TE, Cook adds a new dimension/threat and RR is a very nice RZ option with incredibly soft hands. The WR group looks to be loaded and much more well-rounded with the returning of Nelson, addition of Davis and hopeful development of Janis. Cobb should return to being the slot nightmare he typically is and I am still holding out hope Adams bounces back this season. Abby seems to be having a great off-season and I am pulling for him to make the roster. The O-Line, when healthy, is near the top of the heap. If they can stay healthy and the backups can improve I expect Rodgers to have ample time to pick D's apart and Lacy to have plenty of space to have a 1,100-1,200 yard campaign.

I don't feel any of my expectations are pipe-dreamish. We have seen this unit perform at a very high level before and the pantry is more stocked than ever. A Top 3 scoring offense with a Top 10 P/A Defense is going to make for one heckuva squad and I believe that's exactly what we are in for! Have a great weekend and as always, GO PACK GO!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense will return to form and then some this upcoming season. Rodgers is in his prime. Lacy looks motivated and Starks is a worthy backup. At TE, Cook adds a new dimension/threat and RR is a very nice RZ option with incredibly soft hands. The WR group looks to be loaded and much more well-rounded with the returning of Nelson, addition of Davis and hopeful development of Janis. Cobb should return to being the slot nightmare he typically is and I am still holding out hope Adams bounces back this season. Abby seems to be having a great off-season and I am pulling for him to make the roster. The O-Line, when healthy, is near the top of the heap. If they can stay healthy and the backups can improve I expect Rodgers to have ample time to pick D's apart and Lacy to have plenty of space to have a 1,100-1,200 yard campaign.

I don't feel any of my expectations are pipe-dreamish. We have seen this unit perform at a very high level before and the pantry is more stocked than ever. A Top 3 scoring offense with a Top 10 P/A Defense is going to make for one heckuva squad and I believe that's exactly what we are in for! Have a great weekend and as always, GO PACK GO!

All true. Not one of these hopes/expectations is outlandish; many have happened before. Not at all a reach to expect big things from this offence.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...efocusing-green-bay-packers-offense-on-basics

Sounds similar to this passage in "Vince" by Michael O'Brien (1987): "....Vince redefined the staff's goals: "We may not know any more about football than most of the other coaches in the league, but ....we can put everything we know together so it makes good basic sense and then drill-drill-drill it into them."

(The book is must reading for all real Packers fans.)

What's wrong with winning with plays? The Patriots have done fairly well by winning with plays....If play design isn't important then shouldn't Thompson get all the credit and we can change McCarthy's title to Head Trainer?

D

Deleted member 6794

What's wrong with winning with plays? The Patriots have done fairly well by winning with plays....If play design isn't important then shouldn't Thompson get all the credit and we can change McCarthy's title to Head Trainer?

I guess McCarthy doesn't want to adjust specific plays based on the personnel group currently on the field but expects every single player to be productive within the scheme.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goes back to Vince with the Packer sweep. Every team knew it was coming but time and time again it couldn't be stopped because every man knew his job and did it well. Story once about how Vince was set to give a speech at a conference somewhere and for 3 hours he talked about 1 play, the Packer sweep. All comes down to knowing the basics and fundamentals, especially with a healthy group coming back that is SB worthy. Well taught, high caliber athletes can get the job done with good fundamentals.

The Big Fella

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all about keeping Aaron clean and having favorable matchups. Last year we had neither. This year, the speed at WR and TE should improve considerably.

Reaction score
They say most serious accidents happen because of a combination of multiple factors coming together simultaneously to create havock.
I think 2015 was the perfect stew for poor Offensive production. To have arguably one of the greatest QBs in history be in the bottom 3rd in passing is an anomoly. I think we've fixed or at least improved in several areas that will catapult us from bottom 3rd to top 3rd in passing. Offensive line depth, our #1 WR back (this alone in my mind is like having a 1st round pick at WR added) AR putting his hurt knee distraction in the rear view mirror, a Veteran TE that has both superior blocking and YAC to Richard Rodgers and a Eddie Lacy being recommitted and less of an off field distraction
Another honorable mention is the overall experience level has improved slightly at receiver.
I would be very surprised if we don't finish top 12 in Offensive production. If AR is himself, we should be top 8 or better and our clock utilization should improve markedly.

1940sfootball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
every team has an article written about them like this every year.
team/coach focusing on basics.....every year.

who doesnt focus on basics?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"It's a simple game, really. Sometimes you just lower your head and shove".

- Jerry Kramer

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Ok, we see that this either hasn't been the actual case or it hasn't worked. I'm going to broach the unquestionable; none of us likes change, but is it time for Coach to move on to another team?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, we see that this either hasn't been the actual case or it hasn't worked. I'm going to broach the unquestionable; none of us likes change, but is it time for Coach to move on to another team?
That would make a few posters here quite .. er .. content. I personally think the 7 year itch should be applied to coaches and TV shows.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so it is going to come down to pad level again?
I suspect it means he is bowing down to the pressure and criticism of the talking heads. Expect a hundred high percentage ***** and dunks, and the running game to suffer with the defenders cheating up.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect it means he is bowing down to the pressure and criticism of the talking heads. Expect a hundred high percentage ***** and dunks, and the running game to suffer with the defenders cheating up.
You DO realize you responded to a post from before training camp, don't you?

D

Deleted member 6794

If the offense struggles for the entire season it might be time to move on from McCarthy.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I first saw this I was thinking "is he really spewing this garbage again?"

The offense has gone stale, we apparently do not have the personnel to play sandlot football anymore, it is time for McCarthy to install some actual X's and O's into the game plan and if he is unwilling to do so then yes, it is time for a new coach. If the Patriots can win 27-0 with their third team QB then there is something seriously wrong with the Packer football team because they can't even win with an average Aaron Rodgers.

H

HardRightEdge

It has been the case in that the Packers have run the base offense (3 wide, inline TE, single back) a high percentage of the time. It has not been the case in that the execution has been poor.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is so confused he has let the game of football get to complicated for him. Patriots beating teams with 3rd string qbs with like 3 days of preparation. Not trying to compare but all you hear is fundamentals, getting back to the basics, execution. It's getting old, I hope the pack turn it around and start playing like we know they can.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts