Mike McCarthy Q&A

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's an interview with Mike McCarthy from the Press Gazette:

http://greenbaypressgazette.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080403/PKR01/804030573/1989

Here's the most interesting part:

On how the offense will be different with Rodgers:

"I think our offense will be very similar to last year's approach. When you look at the quarterbacks, both of them can make any throw in the book. I think Aaron has a top-level arm in the NFL. There's not a throw that I would not be comfortable with him making. From that approach, it gives us the ability to be aggressive downfield, but the core philosophy of three-step, quarterback movement, all that will be intact. None of that will change. I don't think you guys will see a big change in the offense."

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would assume MM will put Rogers in the best position to have success, that does not mean changing the offense, but rather emphasizing those things he does well and perhaps limiting options initially. I would expect to see his emphasis on the run game be more pronounced this year as well, due to the emergence of Grant last year.

G-Force

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect them to change the offense. After all, this is the same offense that Rodgers has been studying for the past few years behind Favre. He has to have a lot of familiarity and understanding with it by now.

I agree with Spardo. I think it will just be adjusted for Rodgers' strengths and limitations. I can't wait to see how he'll do. He's no Brett Favre, but I don't think anyone is expecting him to be. I'm sure not.

I'm optimistic, though. I think we still have a lot of young talent. It will be interesting to say the least.

~Mike

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think you will see the bootleg quite a bit more often than we have been used to the last few years.

Reaction score
I was glad to see MM acknowledge his guard play needs improvement.

A part of me really thinks McCarthy will run the ball more this season, because he won't want ot put too much pressure on Rodgers. But then I think of our WRs: Driver, Jennings, Jones, K-Rob, Ruvell and I can really see McCarthy having a more pass heavy attack like last year.

This season should be very interesting...

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

A part of me really thinks McCarthy will run the ball more this season

AADP

You are Right. McCarthy will run the ball more this season. But perhaps not by design. The Packers will improve on their rushing stats, but the difference from last year may be young Aaron.

I think Aaron will run for 400 Yards himself. He is sneaky fast.

Look at the film.... Aaron can run, he has a great burst of speed when in trouble. Also he is not afraid to take it for an extra five yards.

Aaron is going to make a difference because of his incredible mobility and speed.

I think his ability to scramble is going to surprise many people.

R.P.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
all about da packers said:

A part of me really thinks McCarthy will run the ball more this season

AADP

You are Right. McCarthy will run the ball more this season. But perhaps not by design. The Packers will improve on their rushing stats, but the difference from last year may be young Aaron.

I think Aaron will run for 400 Yards himself. He is sneaky fast.

Look at the film.... Aaron can run, he has a great burst of speed when in trouble. Also he is not afraid to take it for an extra five yards.

Aaron is going to make a difference because of his incredible mobility and speed.

I think his ability to scramble is going to surprise many people.

R.P.

I agree. Not ony is Rodgers fast, but he seems to know WHEN to run, which is half the battle. Thats what impressed me the most about his scrambling.

Members online

Latest posts