Mike McCarthy Q & A - on PackersNews

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone should be able to read this article without some type of special login....

McCarthy: ‘I wouldn’t say it’s a rebuilding project’

Most interesting comment - a somewhat odd perspective in saying that way, too!

from the Q&A said:
Q: Your coaching background is on offense. What role will you play on defense?

A: I’m the head coach, I’m not going to be a guy that if something goes wrong, walk over and say, “What the hell’s going on?â€

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I read the article, I didn't made that connection with the Lombardi quote. It really is a different context, though. Lombardi was yelling at his players, as coaches do. McCarthy is saying that he won't have to ask his defensive coordinator what is going on during a game, because he will already know the defensive game plan and be involved in making adjustments. That's probably a good thing.

I think that if Lombardi was around nowadays he would adjust his coaching style to suit the times. His yelling and tough-guy quotes get all the attention because they were theatrical, but he had a great mind for the game and that would still come through. It WOULD be interesting to find out how he would do, if it was somehow possible.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yes..it would...

Football players are like dogs...

(and they will fight you until you prove that you are the Alpha dog...)

Once that is established...they will follow you were you lead or individuals will have to seperated for the Pack...with much wailing..and howling...and gnashing of teeth.....

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I read the whole article. There were some things said that were encourgaging. Thoroughness and a solid philosophy of what to do if this doesnt work and that dont' work and how to make it work.

if MM can stay true to his words I think we'll be in good hands

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Odd, but none of you caught what to me was at the very least a white lie:

that this isn't a rebuilding project.

Off course it's a rebuilding project, especially if Brett retires. I wish Emperor Ted and Charlie McCarthy would at least be honest. I can handle "this team isn't anywhere near the level it needs to be to win and we're going to make changes until it is", much more than farting around trying to fudge it for public relations reasons.

I'm prepared to see a team lose, and maybe lose big, this next year. It all will be determined by who is left from the FA class by training camp. If the Emperor thinks that is what needs to happen, so be it. But cut the cute crap of "I don't think it's a rebuilding project". Sheeesh.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, ZERO....every year in the NFL, with its vagabond FAs, is a rebuilding year to some extent. Would you prefer a coach who gave his players an excuse for poor performance with a "we're rebuilding" mentality?

I wouldn't....reach for the stars, baby!!

Losing and winning are mindsets that are built over time, do you prefer we waste time in building a winning mentality with a "we're rebuilding" mentaility running the show?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I think of rebuilding, I think of a team that is turning over most of its roster within a couple years. The Packers aren't doing that. I'm not going to list all of the players who are under contract or likely to be resigned, because it would take too long. It's true that if Favre leaves, things could be different, but Favre hasn't left yet.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
rebuilding is subjective. whats rebuilding to you, isnt to me, etc.

1. To build again.
2. To make extensive structural repairs on.
3. To remodel or make extensive changes in: tried to rebuild society.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe he doesnt think they're building again.

maybe he doesnt think theyre making extensive structural repairs.

maybe he doesnt think theyre remodeling or making EXTENSIVE(see, subjective) changes in.

giving the definition of the word did nothing. rebuilding is still subjective. And even if they are rebuilding(which theyve shown 0 signs they are, because theyve made 0 personnel moves with players yet) its not smart to say you ARE rebuilding, cuz the fans dont wanna hear that.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
maybe he doesnt think they're building again.

maybe he doesnt think theyre making extensive structural repairs.

maybe he doesnt think theyre remodeling or making EXTENSIVE(see, subjective) changes in.

giving the definition of the word did nothing. rebuilding is still subjective. And even if they are rebuilding(which theyve shown 0 signs they are, because theyve made 0 personnel moves with players yet) its not smart to say you ARE rebuilding, cuz the fans dont wanna hear that.

Your argument is as bad as Cheesey's jokes.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
TT-romadz...

Your doing an awful lot to try and "rebuild" TT's image with your post....

Damn son..you're like a damn contortionist trying to come up with labyrinthian arguments defending TT...

At first you applaud him for tearing down "Sherman's mess"..and then you say he's not "rebuilding"...

Well..which is it?

You can't have it both ways.....!

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
TT-romadz...

Damn son..you're like a damn contortionist trying to come up with labyrinthian arguments defending TT...

At first you applaud him for tearing down "Sherman's mess"..and then you say he's not "rebuilding"...

Well..which is it?

Pack now no calling the kettle black you are the same way with regards to Favre Sherossley and the lot. MM hasnt done anything to be graded on yet and I guess to some extent neither has TT Will have to wait and see how the offseason plays out before we pass judgement on TT. If it plays out like last year I will go to the Anti TT side but I am neutral I guess at this point I will give him a second chance.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
TT-romadz...

Well..which is it?

you dont have to rebuild to clean someones mess. this team is 3-4 position changes\upgrades from being a serious contender. I've said THAT multiple times too. You can have it both ways when 'not rebuilding' and 'cleaning shermans mess' dont contradict eachother. damn son, you're an idiot.

Anytime a GM is fired, and a coach is fired, a new coach or GM is brought in. What do they do, they get rid of the mistakes the previous guy made. Is that rebuilding? It CAN be, but it can also be as simple as making a few tweaks to an offense. I am sorry you can't comprehend that, I really am.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
because the (former)current guy didnt know how to use his roster, or use his timeouts\challenges, or manage the clock.

as well as playcalling...

thats why.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
because the (former)current guy didnt know how to use his roster, or use his timeouts\challenges, or manage the clock.

as well as playcalling...

thats why.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh, so you're saying mike shermans playcalling was good?

you're saying his timeout use was good?

you're saying shermans clock management was good?

you're saying his uses of challenges were good?

you're saying his management of the roster was good?(playing klemm..cmon zero...dont even try to defend him)

so.... "riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight" back at ya.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think Sherman filled the roster with players that need to be cut and coaches that can't coach as WELL as the things you mentioned.

Didn't think I had to draw that out for ya, oh well.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you do realize that when you say
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright in that sarcastic manner it implies you disagree. didnt think i had to draw THAT out for ya.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
TT-romadz..

You are such a moron..you can't even follow your OWN arguments....

Yeah..ok...RIIIIGGGGHT....

TT's not rebuilding....but he just doing this...

1. Not signing FA's...
2. Is in love with the draft process and known for building through the draft..(which takes a long time to build a good team that way...)
3. Insults a premiere DC in Bates and ****** him off that he walks away!
4. He's trying to drive the Packers HOF QB into retirement!!!

What part of the rebuilding process don't you understand son???

daaaaammmnnn....

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First we get Riiiiiiight... then we get Daaaaaang (or damn).....

The real deal is - that TT has stated (probably too much, already) that he "prefers" to build the Team thru the Draft, as opposed to Free Agency --- but, then again, he also noted in recent articles - that last year TT had 7 different Free Agents slated for possible additions to Green Bay - but they fell thru for one reason or another -- most likely due to the fact that the FA period was 'before' Thompson finally resigned Sherman to that two year free ride Contract extension. So, those possibles (in FA) went other routes notknowing what the true intentions were for our existing HC....

Thompson has NEVER said he won't use Free Agency.

BUT - his thinking, along with hundreds of others, is correct in that these Free Agents...... "are" free agents...... for a reason.

• FREE AGENCY reasonings

1. Exhorbitant contract - ala Mike Wahle
    2. Slacker football player versus exhorbitant contract - Darren Sharper
    3. Under-performing NFL-E caliber player - "oh, just get out...go away"

Truth is - none of you (or myself) have any clue as to how many possible FA's TT has already looked at.... NONE!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
TT-romadz..

You are such a moron..you can't even follow your OWN arguments....

Yeah..ok...RIIIIGGGGHT....

TT's not rebuilding....but he just doing this...

1. Not signing FA's...
2. Is in love with the draft process and known for building through the draft..(which takes a long time to build a good team that way...)
3. Insults a premiere DC in Bates and ****** him off that he walks away!
4. He's trying to drive the Packers HOF QB into retirement!!!

well TT just added 2 punters didnt he to clean up shermans mess there (but thats rebuilding? shut your mouth, tool)

And oh yeah, its February, ********. A lot of guys arent even FAs till march. God you're unbearably stupid.

your 3 and 4 are YOU just trying to create a list argument and running out of anything releveant after 2. You're a joke.

continue on with your "you're an ingrate, everyone in the packrs front office owes favre their lives, they should worship him! TT is driving him out by firing a coach who will never let favre sniff the superbowl! Im a *******!" rants.

Members online

Latest posts