Mike McCarthy on NFLN Total Access (03/29/07)

Reaction score
McCarthy said a few things, but one thing really caught my eye:

When asked about Rodgers, McCarthy said (I'm paraphrasing)

He isn't as athletic as ... (pause, then doesn't complete the sentence)... Rodgers is more athletic than we originally thought when we drafted him

I may not have gotten the exact quote, but I'm almost positive I got the first part before the pause right.

Two questions:

1. Did anyone else hear this, or was AADP just hearing his imaginary friends talking?

2. If McCarthy did start saying "He isn't as athletic as (blank)", who do you think McCarthy was referring to?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Isn't as atheletic as ROSIE O'DONNEL"
Yeah.....THATS what he was gonna say!!! :thumbsup: :rotflmao:

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You also notice the smile he had on his face when talking about Randy Moss and how he cant talk about other players under contract.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and these fools on NFL network are talking about Bretts forced throws again. Did they watch any of the games last year.

"Can Brett Favre stop forcing throws"

Damn ****. At least the Packers are getting some air time today :)

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
It is on the nfl.com site, but I just installed Vista and it is throwing errors so I can't get the blasted thing to play, but you can watch it there if you want to see it for yourself:)

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

He isn't as athletic as ... (pause, then doesn't complete the sentence)... Rodgers is more athletic than we originally thought when we drafted him

I may not have gotten the exact quote, but I'm almost positive I got the first part before the pause right.

Two questions:

1. Did anyone else hear this, or was AADP just hearing his imaginary friends talking?

2. If McCarthy did start saying "He isn't as athletic as (blank)", who do you think McCarthy was referring to?

OMG...this is too funny...how far do you need to reach?

McCarthy's said this quote over and over again in many interviews..
and he's said the SAME THING....

"Aaron's a lot more athletic than he seemed to me
when coming out of the University of California..
In the system there, he wasn't required to use
his legs as much as we see he can" "He's more athletic than i thought"

He fumbled his words on NFL network. I saw the show too. Sorry to dissapoint..but it's that simple.

But hey...whatever floats your boat..go ahead and guess who McCarthy was trying to allude to that was more "athletic" than Aaron...in his Pavlovian/Da Vinci code..hidden way. Cuz that's how McCarthy is...of COURSE! Why didn't we all get that>??!

Maybe if we listen more carefully...Mike McCarthy
might tell us where the Yeti is and if Area 51 is really
in Arizona. You just have to listen closely..it's there....

Mike...who killed JFK? "uh..well uh..."

Hilarious..you crack me up

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Two questions:

OMG...this is too funny...how far do you need to reach?

McCarthy's said this quote over and over again in many interviews..
and he's said the SAME THING....

"Aaron's a lot more athletic than he seemed to me
when coming out of the University of California..
In the system there, he wasn't required to use
his legs as much as we see he can" "He's more athletic than i thought"

He fumbled his words on NFL network. I saw the show too. Sorry to dissapoint..but it's that simple.

But hey...whatever floats your boat..go ahead and guess who McCarthy was trying to allude to that was more "athletic" than Aaron...in his Pavlovian/Da Vinci code..hidden way. Cuz that's how McCarthy is...of COURSE! Why didn't we all get that>??!

Maybe if we listen more carefully...Mike McCarthy
might tell us where the Yeti is and if Area 51 is really
in Arizona. You just have to listen closely..it's there....

Mike...who killed JFK? "uh..well uh..."

Hilarious..you crack me up

I agree that Mike wasnt trying to compare Rodgers to anyone...

But I wouldnt go as far as Cal is explaining it

LOL

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Two questions:

No your still sane. :) That's how it went.

He had a big smilie on his face when asked about Randy Moss as well. His reply was I can't talk about another player on a different team. So he never denied it. If the Packers did not want to make a move for Moss or weren't at least considering one he could of put it to rest right then and there.

Very good interview.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my take watching it this morning.

MM obviously meant to convey he is pleased and surprised with Rodgers mobility. He's gone on record with this many times.

My take on the smile during the Moss discussion was simply that he got a kick out of the angle being used to talk about it. He obviously thought it was pretty creative and commented on that.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy is trying to put the best face on a QB that was passed on by more than 20 other NFL teams on draft day.

"Smileyface" apparently is content to gather his checks and keep the status quo.

Apparently we have a poster here who thinks that every California product has some blessed ability.

Rodgers has yet to prove himself(my take is he never will) and drafting Marshawn Lynch in the first round is far from a sure bet. Bad back and bad attitude might not make for "Packer People" in Lynch's case.

I'm leaning toward finding a back in rounds 2-3 and use the top pick to bolster the other spots in need of help.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
More talk about that bad back, but I haven't seen a thing that is solid proof. I want to know because I really do not want us to take Lynch. I just wasn't impressed with the (albeit few) film I've seen.

From reliable sources I've read that the bad back was nothing more than a rumor.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More talk about that bad back, but I haven't seen a thing that is solid proof. I want to know because I really do not want us to take Lynch. I just wasn't impressed with the (albeit few) film I've seen.

From reliable sources I've read that the bad back was nothing more than a rumor.

I think there has to be some merit to it or it wouldn't even be an issue. It just seems like it is another question mark. Back, Charcater issues, speed, are all question marks.I see it as a risky pick at 16. I feel we can get someone in the 2nd or 3rd

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

I think there has to be some merit to it or it wouldn't even be an issue. It just seems like it is another question mark. Back, Charcater issues, speed, are all question marks.I see it as a risky pick at 16. I feel we can get someone in the 2nd or 3rd

Hmm, I dunno. I think the back issue is non existent, but I really don't like him as the 16th pick for the Packers. Ever just have one of those nagging feelings about someone? I got that with this dude. Just something about him says 'no touch!' lol

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
I found it interesting that Mike Nolan on the draft show said the deciding factor on Smith was "personality traits".

To be honest, that immediately made me think of the game Rodgers ended his season, and how he ticked of his o-line (which I gotta admit is pretty damn impressive... seeing as you barely played a few minutes).

That just sort of jump started my doubt in Rodgers... I don't think he is gonna be the guy to replace Favre (heck history proves it is unlikely he'll be even decent).

I don't blame Ted for the pick though. It was either Rodgers of Marlin Jackson (I read an article saying he was their second choice), and Jackson isn't tearing it up at all.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I found it interesting that Mike Nolan on the draft show said the deciding factor on Smith was "personality traits".

To be honest, that immediately made me think of the game Rodgers ended his season, and how he ticked of his o-line (which I gotta admit is pretty damn impressive... seeing as you barely played a few minutes).

That just sort of jump started my doubt in Rodgers... I don't think he is gonna be the guy to replace Favre (heck history proves it is unlikely he'll be even decent).

I don't blame Ted for the pick though. It was either Rodgers of Marlin Jackson (I read an article saying he was their second choice), and Jackson isn't tearing it up at all.

When I heard about Rodgers throwing his hands up in disgust towards the OL as if to say 'How am I supposed to work back here without protection" I really started to question if he's the guy or not. But thinking more into it, the guy has been through a heckuva ride. Its not an excuse, but I think going through the will brett be back for four months last off season took a toll on him and then middle of the season he gets his chance and he wanted to make the most of it and couldn't get protection if he hired All State insurance.

I haven't heard if this happened or not, but I think Rodgers is the type to take out the OL for lunch (he has done this in the past) or dinner as an apology. I think he just got caught up with emotions.

I wouldn't blame Ted for drafting Aaron. He was projected to go 1 overall weeks before the draft and bounced all the way down to us.

Unfortunately for Aaron's passion to play, Brett keeps on going and going an going (which is fortunate for the Packers)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts