Mike McCarthy loves Morency

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
By Mike Vandermause
[email protected]

PHOENIX — With the loss of free agent Ahman Green earlier this month, it's common knowledge the Green Bay Packers are going to pick up more running backs, either in the draft, via trade or through free agency.

But Packers coach Mike McCarthy said his go-to back in 2007 might be on the roster.

Vernand Morency, who was acquired in a trade for Samkon Gado in September, has the potential to be a star, McCarthy said Wednesday at the NFL owners meetings.

"Do I think Mo can be a 1,000-yard rusher in this league?" McCarthy said. "Absolutely. But the thing he's going to have to prove to all of us is the durability of doing it for 16 games."

In 13 games with the Packers last season, Morency rushed 91 times for 421 yards (4.6 average).

He primarily served as the change-of-pace back to Green. He started two games, and had single-game totals of 101 yards against Arizona and 99 yards vs. Philadelphia. He also missed two games in midseason with a back injury.

Morency is entering his third season and has yet to prove he can stand up to consistent pounding.

"I'm an optimist," McCarthy said. "I like what Mo brings to the table. He went down to Stillwater, (and) his whole time off, he's working on getting ready for the offseason program. I look at an individual that's preparing himself to take full advantage of his opportunity.

"I think the guy can be an every-down back for us."

On the run

Although the statistics in his first season as coach indicate otherwise, McCarthy said he remains committed to running the football.

"Running the football is very important," he said. "Now, you're sitting here listening to a guy that threw the ball more than anybody in the league last year, and I'm aware of that. But that's not where I want to be."

The Packers ran just 39 percent of the time on offense, but McCarthy said that percentage will increase.

"I think running the football is critical to the success of your football team," he said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is something I wonder...

People were upset no Rb was signed and it does make you wonder why didnt they, since Green was gone..

But I have said/asked in other threads, do the coaches tell Ted they are okay with what they have..

With Mike stating he thinks Morency is very capable, that tells me that Ted and he probably had a talk about available backs in case Green left..And how he felt with the backs on the roster now..

Reaction score
Morency fits the ZB RB in terms of ability.

The GM of the Broncos, who knows a thing or two about running backs that fit in the ZB scheme, identified the main attributes a RB needs to excel in the ZB scheme: "foot quickness, that cutback vision and that initial burst [are what] we look for in a running back".

Link to Interview with Broncos GM

In fact, the GM stated in the same interview that the reason they took Clarett: "his foot quickness, in our opinion, equated to some of the greats here like Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson and dare I say even Clinton Portis -- the speed is not the same, but the foot quickness is there."

That tells me speed isn't required as much as quickness is.

Morency was really quick last season, he displayed great initial burst. Reading that, I think having him be the starting RB won't be such a bad idea...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he will be good if given the chance. He just hasn't had the opportunity to SHOW that he can do it full time.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahman Green got a chance and he gave us a lot of good years. Maybe Morency can as well but I much rather find a back in the Draft. However I really can't see McCarthy saying anything but good things about any player especially in the off season when teams are dealing.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
does this mean no chance of getting turner

No. There's a good possibility that these statements are meant to be used as bargaining tools. I think if TT could get an impact player who can make a difference at a fair price, then he'd go for it.

GO PACK GO!!!

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
does this mean no chance of getting turner

i'd guess that the asking price is just too high.

I do like the idea of Mo being the feature back, cause it frees the Pack to take something besides RB @ #16, and a RB in the 2nd or 3rd.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Morency and want him to be the starter but he needs a back up, just like last year when Green was the main guy and Morency was his back up, only this year I want Morency as the main guy and draft or sign a back up.

davepyne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course. Every team has at least three RBs on the active roster. Personally i like what Morency and Herron can do, and I also think splitting carries between 2 running backs is the way to go. It keeps them both more fresh, and when one goes down it isn't quite the emergency that it can be when you have one guy who's taking 90% of the snaps.

Members online

Latest posts