Mike Martz backs out on lions

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having already refused the oakland raider head coaching job, Martz is talking to the lions about being their offensive coordinator.

Martz could run Lions' offense

Ex-Rams head coach will apparently decide by Monday whether or not to take the job.

Mike O'Hara / The Detroit News

Mike Martz, the architect of the offense known as "The Greatest Show on Turf" while offensive coordinator and head coach of the St. Louis Rams, reportedly is under consideration by new Lions coach Rod Marinelli for the offensive coordinator's position.

Martz has told the Lions that he will make up his mind by Monday, according to a report on ESPN.com.

Martz, 54, became offensive coordinator of the Rams in 1999. The team featured quarterback Kurt Warner and running back Marshall Faulk and beat the Tennessee Titans in Super Bowl XXXIV.

**** Vermeil announced his retirement as head coach after the Super Bowl and Martz succeeded him. The 2001 Rams went to Super Bowl XXXVI and lost to the New England Patriots.

Martz gave up coaching the Rams after five games in 2005 because of a heart condition caused by a bacterial infection.

The Rams released him after the season and reached a settlement on the final year of his contract.

link

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Mike Martz could run Lions offense

It's too bad Martz didn't get the HC job with the Lions...I would like to see them use all their time outs in the first quarter on stupid challenges or whatever!!!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

f[oigpa';kbl;k'bz.
;'ldkgblklb
lkvb

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

hey..
my 3 year old daughter typed that in when i went to get a beer...

(i know..i know..most intelligent post i've had in awhile..right?)

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score

P@ck66 said:
hey..

And the first one where you did not whine about your "manly love" for Brett Favre. :p

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Philtration said:
P@ck66 said:
hey..

And the first one where you did not whine about your "manly love" for Brett Favre. :p

Yeah and your "manly love" for "Sweetness".(See Phil's avitar)

But on topic, Martz will have them passing again or die trying.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cheesehog said:
Philtration said:
P@ck66 said:
hey..

Yeah and your "manly love" for "Sweetness".(See Phil's avitar)

But on topic, Martz will have them passing again or die trying.

If Harrington is still the QB, I'll place my bet on "die trying".

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Having Martz fall into his lap would be the best thing that happened to Matt Millen since Roy Williams and Kevin Jones fell into his lap. Whether Millen, Marinelli, and Martz could actually succeed together with all those young players is another question. But it'll be interesting to watch.

I watched several Lions games this year, and I actually think Harrington is potentially a decent QB. What the Lions need is some offensive linemen.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I don't know man...

I can see some kind of power play by Martz...

and Millen stepping on him cause he likes the "tough guy"...

(Guess we'll see what happens...)

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i think OC is a perfect place for Martz. i wouldn't want that running my team, but i wouldn't mind him giving my passing game a shot in the arm...i would have to limit him to one reverse every 3 games though. he loves that damn play a bit too much.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i'm suprised he's willing to step down from being a h.c. and i see some head butting with him,which can cause headach for the other coaches,they do have talent on the team but they need to get those players to want to trust harrington if kept,it will be an intersting year for us the lions and vikes,seeing as these teams have new h.c. and other choaches hopefuly we wont be at the bottom of the heap this year.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good news for Packer fans: As of Thursday afternoon, ESPN and Sports Illustrated are reporting that the deal with Martz is dead because he wanted more money than the Lions were willing to pay him.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Greg C. said:
Good news for Packer fans: As of Thursday afternoon, ESPN and Sports Illustrated are reporting that the deal with Martz is dead because he wanted more money than the Lions were willing to pay him.

nicey.

OP
OP
B

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score

by TomKowalski, 2/3/06 9:32 ET

fellas ...

this had nothing to do with money ... marinelli loved the idea of working with martz strictly in terms of the football side, but he was well aware of the potential problems he could've caused and that's what he had to weigh ... i really got the sense from marinelli, after talking to him after the wednesday press conference, that he had a lot of thinking to do about the decision ... in the end, it's my belief that marinelli couldn't be sure that martz would buy totally into the lions agenda, as opposed to the martz agenda ... while martz would've brought something good to the lions in terms of innovative offense, the potential that he would've disrupted marinelli's desire to mold the team into a "we're all in this together'' philosophy could've been put at high risk ... marinelli believes the lions, more than anything, need a change of attitude and a narrowly focused direction ... he wasn't going to risk that, regardless of the cost ...

OP
OP
B

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LIONS NOT TAKING NO FOR AN ANSWER

DETROIT -- Apparently, the Detroit Lions aren’t quite ready to take “noâ€

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Great..

Just what the Lions need to do...Lowball Martz...

It's no wonder they are perennial losers....Millen must have the IQ of *******...

Oh wait..he is a *******....i forgot..

Members online

Latest posts