Mike Holmgren

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
I'm not sure how P@ck66 figures 3 rings for Favre if Holmgren stayed....he's the coach that abandoned the run game with Levens while the Packers were tearing up the Broncos in the first half only to abandon the run and play "not to lose" in the 2nd half. I blame Holmgren for SBXXXII. The Packers team that lost to Denver was a much superior team but just didn't get it done.

Good point on the Levens approach for SB32 -- recently, on JSonline/Packer, there was an article before the last Superbowl, which the Eagles were in. Part of that article related to how Levens was enjoying this "second chance" at a Superbowl... and the other part of the article related itself to an "impending" discussion that Andy Reid wanted to have 'with Dorsey Levens' ...after the Superbowl.. and some time had passed.

The discussion was about WHY the Packers pretty much quit using Dorsey in the 2nd half of SB32. No one ever explained why Levens was benched... to Levens, himself. He was (apparently) left hanging.

One poster made remark to the fact that our fat, slow & lazy Defense cost us that game - he may be correct, but only partially so. It's true that Gilbert Brown "was" overweight, during that final part of the Season, by about 35-45 pounds and he was wheezin' on the sidelines after the second down, pretty much all game long - BUT, he was also hanging in there...

We were (actually) pretty much scoring "at will" as long as they let Dorsey Levens run the ball down their throats. Had we kept it up - the Broncos would have never matched the Packers - point for point. Green Bay most likely would have won two-in-a-row. One has to ask themselves, WHY... it was no business of Dorsey Levens as to wasssup with the 'no explanation' factor. Especially during the damn game, itself.

Now, to read in an article online, that Andy Reid wants a sitdown with Dorsey to privately explain the WHY's and WHEREFORE's.... it pushing the envelope, as far as I'm concerned. Sometime down the road, I would expect one of those guys to write a book, explaining the whole Holmgren/Favre Era - with a tell all..... It would be the best seller of its kind - you can count on that. Especially knowing the Cheesehead population count, as it is...

If I can find that article - I'll repost it here....

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
IPB..

i never said "lazy"...

(i said "old, fat, and slow...")

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66....why is it that I bring facts to the table and you just steal peoples lines (taking it in the can). You brought up one decent point ...3 Super Bowls to none. However, you giving Holmo all the credit for those Super Bowls tends to smack your ********** obsession with Favre right in the face. I thought it was Favre that took the Packers to those Super Bowls....just like it is Favre who has beaten Holmo 3 times to none......right?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went to Super Bowl 32. An hour before the game it looked like Packer fans were going to outnumber the Broncos 2 to 1 but by game time it turned the other way around(which made sense since the game was in SD. The Broncos were definately more up for the game and TD was too tough that day. He would run left and make the corner almost every time.
Still, the Pack had a chance to come down at the end and tie it.
I took my dad and it was just a great experience. I guess being there lessened the loss some.
Regardless of the HC being Holmgren or Sherman there should have been some way of getting Favre in the Super Bowl more than twice in 16 years.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When looking back on these two my only complaint is that Holmgren wanted the GM job and hence left and then we end up giving that job to Sherman. They both proved to stink at being GM's and neither will ever be or want to be one again but we ended up on the wrong end of that stick. I guess we can blame all this on Ron W for being there! That's it! It's RW's fault for being the GM when Holmgren wanted it. If RW WASN'T there at the time Holmgren could have been GM and then fired as GM but would still be coach. How do I get in touch with Ron Wolfe. I'm writing that man a letter!

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After several years of pouting regarding Holmgren, I got over it. He proved he could produce a winner. The guy is smart and he is the real reason Brett Favre is going to the Hall of Fame. Without Holmgren, Favre would be just an NFL footnote in history.

Also this reminder: Holmgren LOST to MIKE SHERMAN and the PACKERS in a playoff game in Green Bay.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
After several years of pouting regarding Holmgren, I got over it. He proved he could produce a winner. The guy is smart and he is the real reason Brett Favre is going to the Hall of Fame. Without Holmgren, Favre would be just an NFL footnote in history.

Also this reminder: Holmgren LOST to MIKE SHERMAN and the PACKERS in a playoff game in Green Bay.

"A footnote in history"....well you've done it net. Full blown dementia. I always thought there was a little football knowledge associated with your boring posts but now I have to bow to Pack66. I would support you when he claimed you were nothing but a "Favre hater" but apparently he saw through the boring BS you spew better than I did.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:

Sanity reigns once again on PF -- who woulda thunk it....? Ya hey!

No accountin' for spock logic on the previous post, tho' ----

Net - one wonders just how Joe Montana might have turned out... without Mike Holmgren as the QB coach back in them days..... On PTI, today, the guy on the right, says.... I think John Elway is/was the greatest QB ever... even better than Joe Montana - who, of course, has FOUR Lombardi Trophy's.... whereas Elway only has two... DOH! There was no mention of a Brett Favre.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Gee IPB..

How many of dem der' Lombardi trophees do you think Aaron Rodgers will get...or Big Ben?

Favre has been the victim of poor drafting and poor coaching for the last 6 years...yet he managed to get them to the playoffs year after year...except this year....

How do you think he would do on any of these teams that were in the Championship games last week?

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:

1st of all thats nuts. Favre didn't need Holmgren, Holmgren need Favre. Without Favre as his QB Holmgren wouldn't even be a footnote in football history.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Right you are Aceschnd..

Some of these people think HOF QB's like Marino, Aikman, Montana, Favre, etc..grow on trees..and that you can take ANY QB in the NFL and turn them into a HOF QB...

Let me tell you something...

THIS IS A FALLACY....IT IS UNTRUE!

There's a little something called TALENT that separates the elite QB's in the NFL from the average or pedestrian.....that's why I say that some of you are INGRATES..because you don't even know how rare it is to have what we have right here in GB..

and let me say right now....Big Ben may have a good career...but he is no elite, HOF QB.....

(and for all you people who want to see Favre retire my question to you is...Why are you in such an all fired hurry to SUCK? Because that is what the Packers will do with a new, rookie QB at the helm......that day can be put off for a few years..eh? Do you want to bring back the 1970's that bad?)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without naming idiots...er...I mean names....I can't believe so called Packer fans can come on here and badmouth Favre. It is obvious to me that they are not Packer fans and lack any grey matter at all when it comes to football. Or.... they are lifeless momma's basement dwelling dweebs that come on here to feel like they have friends.

Once again....no names, so don't take this personally. I'm PROBABLY not talking about you.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
I guess no one will ever know the truth...Go back to your corners gentleman!!

LOL

DITTO - Cheers to ya, LTF..!

Truth is - and even ESPN gets it -- Holmgren has persuaded other QB's to higher notoriety "before" Favre - and he hasn't lost his touch, after all, along the way. He is, of course, headed to yet another SuperBowl "without Brett Favre" I might add. - which blows holes in your logic, gentlemen!

A few years back, one wonders if it was the friction between Holmgren and Ted Thompson whiich styied their success in Seattle, or what..... Now, with TT out of Seattle... look what happens... is there something to that? Maybe.. possibly not. We 'may' find that TT will have his own success, here at Lambeau, now that he doesn't have to deal with Holmgren on this turf, as well. After all, it was TT that drafted Sean Alexander. not Mike Holmgren.

Some, on this Forum, like to take one needle out of a haystack and try and turn it into a large spike, when it is not... mountains out of molehills - is a phrase....

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean like saying that "it was TT that drafted Sean Alexander, not Mike Holmgren". Wrong....we've beaten that around already, Holmgren was the GM at Seattle when Alexander was picked. Don't believe half the propoganda you read on Packers.com.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
You mean like saying that "it was TT that drafted Sean Alexander, not Mike Holmgren". Wrong....we've beaten that around already, Holmgren was the GM at Seattle when Alexander was picked. Don't believe half the propoganda you read on Packers.com.

So, somehow ESPN, Best Dam Sportshow, etc, have all got it dead wrong, when they convey that TT is who should get credit for bringing in SA - is that it?

Personally, I think you need to get over yourself ----- read on, McDuff ---

Ted Thompson Comes Full Circle

from the Packers.com Article said:
Among the notable players Thompson selected in his tenure at the Seahawks' draft helm are:

• - RB Shaun Alexander (first round, 19th overall, 2000). Thompson's first selection, now a two-time Pro Bowler; supplanted established starter Ricky Watters and over the last two seasons (2003-04) leads the league in rushing yards (3,131), helping Seattle to the NFC's fourth-best record in that span. Fell 1 yard shy of 2004 NFL rushing title.

- WR Alex Bannister (fifth round, 140th overall, 2002). Pro Bowl selection as special teams player in 2003.

- K Josh Brown (seventh round, 222nd overall, 2003). Nailed 45 of first 55 NFL field-goal attempts (81.8 percent), including an NFC-best 92.0 percent (23 of 25) in 2004.

- G Steve Hutchinson (first round, 17th overall, 2001). Two-time Pro Bowl selection. Started first 20 games before breaking leg in 2002. Started all 32 contests since his return, garnering first-team All-Pro honors from the Associated Press in 2003.

- WR Darrell Jackson (third round, 80th overall, 2000). All-rookie selection, has started 61 of 80 Seahawks games in five years. Posted franchise-record 87 receptions in 2004.

- DT Rashad Moore (sixth round, 183rd overall, 2003). In two years, has arguably outplayed 16 of the 18 tackles taken ahead of him, including first-round picks Johnathan Sullivan and Jimmy Kennedy.
The Seahawks' starting secondary at the end of the '04 season:

• - Cornerbacks Marcus Trufant (first round, 11th overall, 2003) and
    - Ken Lucas (second round, 40th overall, 2001), and
    - "safeties" - Ken Hamlin (second round, 42nd overall, 2003) and
    -- Michael Boulware (second round, 53rd overall, 2004).
    {Boulware earned all-rookie honors in 2004. }

• I gues you need to drive up to Lambeau and demand a retraction, eh?

The above article is extracted directly from Packers.com - and Ted Thompson's BIO.

I think we're done here!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude where have you been? This has been rehashed over and over and was proven with an inquiry to the Seahawks but that's OK.....keep drinking the kool aid. This isn't the first time Packers.com tried to "bolster" employee's resume's. I think zero2cool caught them on something else.

Once again, I know you can never be wrong because after all you do run a "fanclub", but this is an old subject. If you want to keep beatin' it around feel free....I'd rather respond to knowledgeable fans.

OP
OP
R

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they both needed each other.

9 days from now it will still be a tie.

Brett will have as many Superbowls as Holmgren. Brett will have needed Holmgren, and with out him he would not have his one Superbowl. Holmgren will have needed Brett and with out him he would not have his one Superbowl.

Steelers will beat Homgren, and Brett will have as many Superbowls as a very young Big Ben.

Big Ben is on his way to the hall of fame.... I wish the Raidahhhs or Packers would have had a chance to draft him.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
DePack said:

forgive me but I guess I missed this thread?

But my opinion is this...Mike was GM and had final say in it all..TT was in charge of scouting in Seattle...Do you think TT did not give Mike valuable input on whom to draft??

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts