Mike Holmgren will be in Green Bay

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"enthusiasm and toughness"....

i don't remember seeing these traits on any GB Packer's team coach by MS...

(are you referring to ths same MS coached Packers that lost to the Jets and Atlanta a few years ago in the playoffs....and to the Vikings last year?)

maybe your're referring to a different GB Packers team...coached by MS in another time and dimension...?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
net,

i don't know if Holmgren's coming back...but let's face it...the Packer organization screwed him by not giving him the GM/HC title after he won the SB..and then turned around and gave it to one of his underlings...an unproven, inexperienced tight end's coach--Mike Sherman, who's made a grand debacle of things in GB.

i don't believe one person can handle the dual role of GM/HC in the NFL....but even you have to admit that Holmgren is a WAY better coach than MS...either that, or your just plain nuts...

ps. i don't think Holgren would want to come back to Green Bay in light of this fact...or perhaps..he WOULD come back if asked...take the Packers back to the SB in 06' and 07'..thereby rubbing Sherman's nose in it...AND letting Favre retire with 3 rings...1 more than Elway...hmmmm..
Serious "dead-on" conversation.... Especially paragraph number two!

One thing's for sure - Holmgren proved to the World - that he's not GM/HC caliber material... If he was, then he wouldn't have had it taken away from him. One of his protege's still has that moniker and luckily has pulled it off... and that's Andy Reid! There very very few who can actually handle both positions and all that do - have an incredibly talented staff backing them up. I'm surprised Andy doesn't have more grey hair than he does...

BTW - If anyone hasn't gone back and researched - while TT was in Seattle - the pundits all were speaking about the difficulties between Thompson and Holmgren - and how TT really wasn't the true GM of the Team (sort of) and, in the background, behind the scenes.. Mikey was still ramming it down everyone's throats... So, certainly those two would NOT be a good fit here in Green Bay! It ain't gonna happen, trust me!

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
why would holmgren come back? would we want him back :roll:
He surely went downhill since he left.

I agree. When Ted Thompson was in Seattle, the combination of TT and Holmgren didn't exactly win a lot of playoff games out there. So I have no reason to believe that combination would here.

Holmgren was a part in turning the Packers around, but I think the bigger parts to the turnaround were Wolf, Reggie, and Favre.

Favre has won more division titles without Holmgren, than Holmgren has won in Seattle without Favre.

And for as much as some people bash Sherman, Holmgren hasn't done any better in Seattle.

To me having Holmgren return to the Packers would be like when Chuck Knox returned to the Rams.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
"enthusiasm and toughness"....

i don't remember seeing these traits on any GB Packer's team coach by MS...

(are you referring to ths same MS coached Packers that lost to the Jets and Atlanta a few years ago in the playoffs....and to the Vikings last year?)

maybe your're referring to a different GB Packers team...coached by MS in another time and dimension...?

I'm talking about the rebound from an 8-8 team to the division winner with the SAME basic personnel.

Of course, Sherman added Green to the fold and made some bonehead moves but so has Holmgren.

I think Sherman should be given the benefit of the doubt as a coach and should be left alone to see how he does the next couple years.

I get the feeling that he might do something in the nsxt year or two...

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
I think Sherman should be given the benefit of the doubt as a coach and should be left alone to see how he does the next couple years.

I get the feeling that he might do something in the nsxt year or two...

I agree. Especially since he has been stripped of GM duties and can now focus strictly on coaching. After all, Holmgren hasn't done anything spectacular in Seattle since taking on both GM and HC responsibilities either.

I truly believe that the Pack is going to surprise a lot of the "gloom and doom" crowd come this fall. Time will tell....

Go Pack!

Robert C. Hedley

OP
OP
S

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: A brown-noser is someone who is trying to gain favor...

net said:
By the way...take a look at your hero's record since he went to Seattle...and by the way...what year did he win the Super Bowl?

The problem in Seattle for Mike Holmgren was he had a missing link.

Brett Favre.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
The problem in Seattle for Mike Holmgren was he had a missing link.

Brett Favre.

So you are saying the only reason the Pack won Super Bowl XXXI was because of Brett Favre?

I am not going to say that Favre was not a factor, but GB was on top of their game in every area. The result of that was winning the Lombardi trophy. Teamwork wins Super Bowls, not individuals (tho I am not trying to say that having a QB who is arguably the best to ever play the game doesn't help).

Go Pack!

Robert C. Hedley

OP
OP
S

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
So you are saying the only reason the Pack won Super Bowl XXXI was because of Brett Favre?

What I am saying is there is a HUGE difference between Brett Favre and Jon Kitna or Matt Hasselbach.

So HUGE a difference that Mike Holmgren may have taken the Seattle Seahawks to the Super Bowl with Brett Favre on the Seahawks roster.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is a difference-maker, no question about it.

However, do you all know that the SB XXXI Champion Packers are still the ONLY team in NFL history to finish the season with both the top ranked defense and offense? Not to mention that Desmond Howard and the ST unit wasn't so shabby either! God I miss those days! :beer:

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Holmgren is not coming back to Green Bay. He doesn't want to come here(the Packers would never pay him $4 mill + a year like he makes now).

The Brett Favre idolotry is misplaced. Brett was one player who happened to be at his peak at the time. Forgotten are players like....Reggie White(duh), LeRoy Butler, Robert Brooks, etc. Fritz Schumur was the DC....it was more than Brett Favre.

I wouldn't even put Brett as the PACKERS all-time greatest QB...that honor belongs to Bart Starr.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
I wouldn't even put Brett as the PACKERS all-time greatest QB...that honor belongs to Bart Starr.

That's why I said he was arguably the best. Even non-Cheeseheads will generally consider Favre in the top five. Personally, I never got to see Starr play (born in 1971, he was a little before my time) so I can't really comment on his ability, other than looking at his stats.

Regardless who you consider the best QB (either for the Packers or the NFL), my point to Steel Wheels was TEAMWORK wins Super Bowls not individuals. Hell even Trent Dilfer's "high school" offence was able to win Super Bowl XXXV a few years back when Baltimore's defence seemed unstoppable. :wink:

Go Pack!

Robert C. Hedley

Members online

Latest posts