MIKE GOLIC CONFIRMS HE USED STEROIDS

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I didn't hear this piece this morning, however I did catch earlier this week him talking about fellow players in Houston in which he choose not to rat them out. I guess he answered why.

But this shouldn't surprise you.. almost every football program around has enhancers in it.. and if you think they don't... it is because they haven't been caught at it.

MIKE GOLIC CONFIRMS HE USED STEROIDS by Michael David Smith

Former Oilers, Eagles and Dolphins defensive lineman Mike Golic, now co-host of ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike in the Morning show, confirmed this morning that he used steroids when he was an NFL player.

The confirmation came during an odd moment in the show, when Golic and co-host Mike Greenberg invited listeners to call in and discuss the Vikings' decision to dock wide receiver Troy Williamson a paycheck after he missed a game following the death of his grandmother.

Golic and Greenberg hardly ever take callers, and it will probably be a long time before they do it again, given that the first caller initially talked about Williamson but then switched topics and asked Golic, point blank, if he used steroids.

The caller asked the question because Golic briefly alluded to his own steroid use earlier this week. But when Golic talked about it previously, he was so casual about it (Awful Announcing has the transcript; it can also be downloaded for free on iTunes) that it would have been easy for listeners to misunderstand him.

Today Golic left no doubt, calmly and clearly acknowledging that he used steroids briefly during his playing career in an attempt to recuperate from an injury. Greenberg wanted nothing to do with the subject and quickly cut the caller off to turn back to the Williamson story.

Golic last played in the NFL in 1993, and it's not like this is a guy who owns any NFL records, so the fact that he used steroids during his playing career isn't exactly earth-shattering news.

But it's odd that he talks about it in such an off-hand manner, given how seriously ESPN usually takes discussions of steroid use. If Golic has personal knowledge of steroid use in the NFL, shouldn't ESPN ask him to talk about it more? How and from whom did he get steroids? What effect did steroids have on his body? Was it his perception that he was cheating, or did he think using steroids was just something that every NFL defensive lineman did at the time? These would be interesting questions for fans to hear Golic answer, and since his job is to say interesting things for fans to hear, he ought to answer them.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I just found it interesting since he has stated at times of Bonds and the allegations, and other discussions on air before he finally fessed up and talked about his own use.

I like Golic.. just an interesting twist moreso.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think alot of ex-jocks will come out and tell that they juiced, once they know they can't lose anything for coming out.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind the time that he played too. not alot was known about the effects of steroids. Look at Tony Mandrich. Anyone foolish enough to think that was all natural has never looked onto the subject

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind the time that he played too. not alot was known about the effects of steroids. Look at Tony Mandrich. Anyone foolish enough to think that was all natural has never looked onto the subject
I wonder what Manderich looks like now?

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the Mitchell Report finally comes out, there are going to be stories like this all over the place. I'm actually surprised that more guys haven't come out and admitted HGH or steroid use before the report comes out, just to beat Mitchell to the punch and to try to save their butts.

I can't wait till the report comes out. I know there will be athletes in it that I admire. It's gonna be huge.

Latest posts