Michael Sam, 2014 draft prospect, announces he´s gay

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Because **** are not widely accepted. There is still a lot of discrimination against them.
Laws are changing for them, but that doesn't mean that everyone will be accepting of ****.
Just like with blacks. They do have civil rights now but there is still tons of racism and race violence against them.

The way I see it is that it's not one of my issues I'm concerned with since I'm not gay and don't know anyone who is and don't really care to.
I'm not homophobic and the gay rights issues just isn't one of my battles.

Thats fair enough mate, and I hear what you`re saying. I just believe in live and let live, as long as its not flaunted in an antagonistic way which I believe some of the gay pride marches etc do. I don`t like open shows of affection in public, but I`m not a fan of it in heterosexual circles either. Being British, a good firm handshake is more than enough....lol

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Who gives a crap if the dude is gay? If he can hit/tackle/ and play tough he could be gay straight or an alien from pluto and I could care less. I hope he does well in the NFL.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he can play and his draft status falls because of a non-football issue like this then some team will be getting a steal on draft day.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as long as its not flaunted in an antagonistic way which I believe some of the gay pride marches etc do. I don`t like open shows of affection in public, but I`m not a fan of it in heterosexual circles either. Being British, a good firm handshake is more than enough....lol

A reasonable argument could be made that straight folks have their own flamboyant displays in Mardi Gras, Spring Break, Carnival etc. I agree with the firm handshake though, that's more my speed.ahh, I got into this when that NBA dude came out. I'm going to try to stay out of this one from here on out...

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats fair enough mate, and I hear what you`re saying. I just believe in live and let live, as long as its not flaunted in an antagonistic way which I believe some of the gay pride marches etc do. I don`t like open shows of affection in public, but I`m not a fan of it in heterosexual circles either. Being British, a good firm handshake is more than enough....lol
It's time we had a Straight Pride March.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because **** are not widely accepted. There is still a lot of discrimination against them.
Laws are changing for them, but that doesn't mean that everyone will be accepting of ****.
Just like with blacks. They do have civil rights now but there is still tons of racism and race violence against them.

The way I see it is that it's not one of my issues I'm concerned with since I'm not gay and don't know anyone who is and don't really care to.
I'm not homophobic and the gay rights issues just isn't one of my battles.

Yes, **** still get discriminated against but to say they're "not widely accepted" is way off base. I've worked with many over the past 25 years and have had many-a-conversation.

One gay guy at work one time said "You breeders and your kids can really be annoying at restaurants". He started laughing and said "that's what gay people call straight people". I said "Really? If at work at the coffee machine tomorrow morning I called you a "non-*******" how quickly do you think I would be fired?" Is a straight person able to openly use the term "non-*******" like you use *******?" HE## NO ! Sooo, there is "tons of" reverse BS that goes on.

The fact is, anyone that considers and treats **** and ******** as equal, are often considered homophobes. I've seen it many many times. The second anyone steps to them and questions anything, the way this country is now, it's immediately seen as homophobic.

For me, I treat everyone the same and in fact, I hope Sam makes it if he's good enough. There's a black reporter on CNN, I forget his name but he's gay. If more people were like him this would be a better country. He doesn't hide his views but he also won't play PC games when some idiot uses the race card or gay card. When others want to make race or sex orientation an issue, he's quick to get on them and call them out and make them prove it had ANYTHING to do with it.

...and ...a black person is 100 times more likely to have a violent crime committed against him/her by another black than by a white person. So again, it's all relative but "tons of" is misleading. White on black violent crime is the LEAST likely. There is however "tons of" black on black violent crime.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, let them all in, but just make sure the headlines focus on the courage and inspiration they have for their lying, fornication, and committing adultry. Celebrities, the president and the first lady should send messages congratulating the liars and fornicators for their courage. Anyone who would dare say anything negative about fornicating or lying should be fined. This would send a message to all forniphobes, liarphobes, and adulterophobes.

well you just won the prize for most bigoted post on the forum.

Ahh the things people say and do in the name of religion.
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

I just think his point missed the mark a bit. All I know is that this Christian believes Jesus tells us not to judge. I tend to think that makes my job here on planet earth easy!

It is sad. Maybe Sam will have to go to an Islamic country where everyone has rights and differing views are...ahem... "widely accepted". COEXIST and all ya know.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
The thing some of you guys are missing here is: THERE ARE ALREADY **** IN THE NFL. They have not come out and said that they are for fear of persecution. Given the amount of men in the NFL, there has to be more than just a few. WHO FREAKIN CARES? Grow up people, this is 2014, not 1945

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, **** still get discriminated against but to say they're "not widely accepted" is way off base. I've worked with many over the past 25 years and have had many-a-conversation.

One gay guy at work one time said "You breeders and your kids can really be annoying at restaurants". He started laughing and said "that's what gay people call straight people". I said "Really? If at work at the coffee machine tomorrow morning I called you a "non-*******" how quickly do you think I would be fired?" Is a straight person able to openly use the term "non-*******" like you use *******?" HE## NO ! Sooo, there is "tons of" reverse BS that goes on.

The fact is, anyone that considers and treats **** and ******** as equal, are often considered homophobes. I've seen it many many times. The second anyone steps to them and questions anything, the way this country is now, it's immediately seen as homophobic.

For me, I treat everyone the same and in fact, I hope Sam makes it if he's good enough. There's a black reporter on CNN, I forget his name but he's gay. If more people were like him this would be a better country. He doesn't hide his views but he also won't play PC games when some idiot uses the race card or gay card. When others want to make race or sex orientation an issue, he's quick to get on them and call them out and make them prove it had ANYTHING to do with it.

...and ...a black person is 100 times more likely to have a violent crime committed against him/her by another black than by a white person. So again, it's all relative but "tons of" is misleading. White on black violent crime is the LEAST likely. There is however "tons of" black on black violent crime.

I wish I could click "like", "agree", and "winner" for this post.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't see how it is bigoted. I responded to the point that there are other sins as well, which is true. However, it is the only one called courageous and inspirational. If this is really in the name of equality, why all the headlines? People don't make the headlines for being straight. If it were really in the name of equality, the guy could just be who he is and leave it at that. If there is any issue such as a harrassment complaint against Sam or a harrassment of Sam, it could be addressed and dealt with accordingly at that time. If nothing happens that's great.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who gives a crap if the dude is gay? If he can hit/tackle/ and play tough he could be gay straight or an alien from pluto and I could care less. I hope he does well in the NFL.
Why do you say that? You "Hope he does well in the NFL"?
He could go to the Vikings, Bears, Seahawks, 49ers, Giants. Why would you say you hope he does well?

Have you ever even watched a Mizzou game, and seen him before this all came out?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.mail.com/news/world/2649...o-sign-anti-gay-bill.html#.7518-stage-hero1-4

This is from TODAY's news.

KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) — Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni plans to sign a bill into law that prescribes life imprisonment for some homosexual acts, officials said Friday, alarming rights activists who have condemned the bill as draconian in a country where homosexuality already has been criminalized.

Museveni's decision was based on a report by "medical experts" presented at the retreat, saying that "homosexuality is not genetic but a social behavior," said Opondo. Evelyn Anite, a spokeswoman for the governing party, said the report, which had been requested by the president, was prepared by more than a dozen scientists from Uganda's Health Ministry.

Opondo and Anite both said the president did not indicate when he will sign the legislation into law. Homosexuality already is illegal in Uganda under a colonial-era law that criminalizes sex acts "against the order of nature."

An earlier version of the bill, first introduced in 2009, proposed the death penalty for some homosexual acts. Although that provision was later removed amid international pressure, rights groups want the whole bill jettisoned. Amnesty International has described it as draconian, repeatedly urging Museveni not to sign it into law.

But the bill is popular in Uganda, one of many sub-Saharan African countries where homosexuals face severe discrimination if not jail terms. A new law in Nigeria last month increased penalties against ****.

After the Ugandan bill was passed late last year, Museveni said he wanted his governing party to reach what he called a "scientifically correct" position on homosexuality, ordering the team of government scientists to investigate whether homosexuality is a lifestyle, according to Anite.

Their report led Museveni to believe homosexuality should be punished, she said. Museveni, who has criticized **** as "abnormal" people who should be "rehabilitated," had previously called the bill too harsh.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't see how it is bigoted. I responded to the point that there are other sins as well, which is true. However, it is the only one called courageous and inspirational. If this is really in the name of equality, why all the headlines? People don't make the headlines for being straight. If it were really in the name of equality, the guy could just be who he is and leave it at that. If there is any issue such as a harrassment complaint against Sam or a harrassment of Sam, it could be addressed and dealt with accordingly at that time. If nothing happens that's great.
Of course people don’t make the headlines for being straight because that’s not news. While there have been **** in the NFL - probably from its inception - Sam will be the first to be openly gay. Whether you like it or not that is news. Why do you suppose other gay players haven’t openly acknowledged that they’re gay? It is partially because of the judgments of people like you. (Look at Lombardi’s admonition on this subject quoted in the OP.) And those judgments in the past have led to the ostracism of, and violence acted out toward ****. I don’t think anyone believes it is courageous or inspirational to be gay. But IMO it is easy to understand why many would view the first gay person in any public endeavor to declare his ****** preference as courageous, precisely because he is voluntarily opening himself up for attack.

In an ideal world I agree there would be no reason for Sam to make this announcement. But we don’t live in an ideal world. As Darth Garfunkel mentioned, if Sam didn’t make this announcement, something like TMZ may have. Then he would have had to answer questions about whether or not he’s ashamed to be gay, etc. I think it was smart and fair of him to make this announcement. It was smart because he doesn’t have to hide his ****** preference, and it was fair because he put all NFL teams on notice long before the draft. He will no doubt be deluged with questions about it and that’s unfortunate. But as long as he doesn’t bring it up again – I hope he’ll quickly stop answering questions about it - and as long as he doesn’t use it as an excuse for anything I applaud him for being honest, even at the possible cost of his draft position and a significant amount of money.

BTW did I miss the news that Uganda has been awarded an NFL franchise? If not I can’t figure out how the above post is relevant, except as an extreme example of homophobia. :D

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And we also have the report on Incognito and the whole Miami Dolphins fiasco released today as well.
Based on that, I'm not so sure if it was such a good idea for Sam to come out of the locker just yet.
Oh well. It's his problem and whatever happens, happens.
(And by "his problem" I don't mean him being gay. I mean whatever issues that may rise out of it between him and his possible future teammates.)

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I hope the kid does well...though I'm with BuggyBill on this issue. I tired very early on with public proclamations of personal issues. Frankly, I tire quickly of situations where anyone decides to wear their personal preferences, beliefs and/or tendencies on their sleeve. I have my opinions on such topics and, though impossible to avoid in today's media circuses...I usually don't get past the lead paragraph. That includes the folks who choose to live their lives in the book of Leviticus - a particularly treacherous place in my opinion but, hey, the gate to the freedom of expression swings both ways. In 'real life', I'm not above telling people who venture into that realm to "hold it a minute - we're veering into territory that you don't want to venture into with me."

Not that it matters really .... I mean, for the love of Pete (I'd like to meet Pete some time), just keep it out of my face, will ya? I mean, people are free to choose whatever lifestyle they wish ... and yes, I believe it is a choice.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't believe it is a choice for most gay people. If you are a heterosexual male consider choosing to engage in homosexual acts. Such acts are repugnant on a visceral level aren’t they? Why would someone choose that knowing that being socially ostracized (for much of our history) comes along with that choice? For most I don't think they chose it anymore that I chose to be heterosexual.

BTW, I don’t wish Sam well in his NFL career unless he plays for the Packers – just like any other draftee.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe it is a choice for most gay people. If you are a heterosexual male consider choosing to engage in homosexual acts. Such acts are repugnant on a visceral level aren’t they? Why would someone choose that knowing that being socially ostracized (for much of our history) comes along with that choice? For most I don't think they chose it anymore that I chose to be heterosexual.

BTW, I don’t wish Sam well in his NFL career unless he plays for the Packers – just like any other draftee.

Why would you not wish Sam well? You must be a homophobe.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think these thoughts are spot on:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts