1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Redd to Cavaliers?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by PackOne, May 22, 2008.

1. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    The Cavaliers want to pull off a big trade since Lebron James has two more years under contract in Cleveland, then the "global icon" can go out and ply his trade anywhere. Who do they want? Ohio native and legitimate sharpshooter Michael Redd.

How would it work out?

Redd has two years at just over $32.8 million plus a player option for another $18.3 million left on his deal. With their earlier trade this year that brought in Ben Wallace, Wally Szczerbiak, Delonte West, and Joe Smith, Cleveland clearly planted themselves in the "win now" category. Milwaukee, on the other hand, is trying to rebuild. Redd turns 29 before next season starts and, by the time Milwaukee could finish their rebuilding process, would be on the downslide of his career, not to mention they get out from under his contract. The Bucks have some young parts to build around (Andrew Bogut, Mo Williams, Charlie Villanueva, and Yi Jianlian will all be 26 or younger when next season starts), as well as the #8 pick in the upcoming draft.

Szczerbiak would pretty much have to be the centerpiece of this deal, simply due to the size of his expiring contract, which is needed to offset Redd's deal. What else comes over? Anderson Varejao and a couple of first-round draft picks. From Milwaukee's point of view, they should be in 2008 and 2010 (NBA rules prevent teams from trading first-round picks in consecutive years). The urgency behind getting the 2008 pick this year is it is #19 overall. With James and Redd together, 19th is as low as the Cavaliers will be picking the next couple years. With Milwaukee being able to deal from the power position in this trade, they can require Eric Snow's expiring contract, as well, and send back Dan Gadzuric, who has three more seasons at over $20 million remaining on his contract. The Bucks would get to clear a ton of cap space and get Varejao and two extra firsts.

Milwaukee can then build around a frontcourt of Bogut, Varejao, and Yi with Mo Williams at the point. That's not a bad foundation to build from, especially with two first-round picks this year (maybe they become Joe Alexander, the athletic West Virginia small forward whose stock is rocketing and either Chris Douglas-Roberts or Brandon Rush). Villanueva then becomes disposable, as well. Some NBA team can be seduced by his combination of height and shooting skill.

Cleveland then has a lineup of Delonte West, Redd, James, Ben Wallace, and Zydrunas Ilgauskas. Their rotation is filled out with Gadzuric and Joe Smith (who must be re-signed to provide offense and toughness for the second unit) up front with Sasha Pavlovic and Damon Jones in the backcourt. Ilgauskas has one year with a player option remaining, Wallace two years, and the Cavs only have to offer West a qualifying offer this offseason. If they pull off this trade and bring back Smith and West, they'll have more than enough ammo to contend in the East and try to keep James in the fold instead of watching him run off to Mike D'Antoni in New York or Jay-Z in Brooklyn.

Here is to the Bucks sucking for the next decade.

2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    He doesn't need a great shooter, he needs a great inside presence. Ben Wallace sucks balls.

just my opinion.

3. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I agree and the Bucks don't need Wally.

4. djcubez

djcubez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Honestly, Bucks don't need Wally but they need to trade Redd. Redd's a good player but he does nothing for Milwaukee. They really need to start using Bogut as a centerpiece since he's started averaging a double-double a game. Plus they got a young Yi and Mo Williams. I say drop Redd, maybe pick up Eric Gordon in the draft and this team looks exciting.

5. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bulls got the #1 pick Trom. Do you take Rose, Beasley or trade?

And yes Ben Wallace is awful.

6. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    It's such a tough call, but I say Rose. A good guard can make a world of difference(see: Chris Paul). I like our big guys (noce,deng,tyrus,gooden,noah) for the most part. I don't think Kirk,BG,Thabo,Hughes can get it done. I think Rose would be a good addition.

I'm tired of Ben Gordon, he's a 1 trick pony, and his 1 trick isn't nearly consistent enough to be a starter. Kirk had a horrible year but I think he'll be fine. Thabo is a MF'in BEAST. I love him, and he's only going to be in his third year.

Rose makes sense to me, plus he's a local boy.

7. Profizzle99

Profizzle99 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I wish we would trade Redd, he is the reason we lose games. Bogut and Redd want the O to run through them so they fight for the ball. Whenever Redd is out Mo steps up and Bogut has a bunch of points, not to mention we win games. Get rid of Redd however we can, he dosn't fit here anymore.

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Geez..........this is tough for me. Redd is very talented. Give up your top player? I don't know.
    Can we seriously win without him?

9. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Uh,Cheesey. The Bucks didn't win very much WITH him! Anyway, trade the whole team to Saskatoon. The NBA is like watching water evaporate. :lol:

10. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I absolutely agree with you, and Rose wants to be here. He was practically giving the Bulls his resume in an interview with ESPN. Gordon, Hughes, Duhon need to go. I think Rose, Hinrich, Deng, Gooden, and (cringe) Noah would be allright. Plus have Noc and Thabo coming off the bench would be nice.

11. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I know they didn't. I already thought that before i typed my last posting here. But what i meant was, he's about all there is to go watch the Bucks. Maybe they would do better without him.....i don't know.